Posted to rec.audio.opinion
fid fid is offline

Default Which is the right Subwoofer Phase?

Hello,

I have a Rel Stadium III positioned on the left corner next to one of
the two front speakers, Vienna Acoustics Mahler. I have set the High
Level Crossover to 27Hz. I am still puzzled by the subwoofer phase
settings. I checked with a digital SPL meter in conjunction with Rives
test CD 2. Whet I set the phase to 0, the sub outputs more sound at
32hz, (93 db) 40hz (95db) and less at 25hz(80hz) and 20hz(77db). The
contrary happens when I switch phase to 180. I get higher output level
at 20hz (83db) and 25hz (80db), less at 32hz (88db) and 40hz (84db).
In few words, depending from the test tone I play I get audible
different results, as to say phase 180 setting and test tone 25Hz or
less would be fuller then 0. With phase set at 0 and test tone played
at 32hz or even 40hz would be audibly fuller.

Because It appears that phase set to 180 phase would flatten the low
region of the sound would in practical terms be the best choice for me
since my room interaction produces a huge peak right at 32hz and 40hz.
But my question is: theoretically which setting would be the ideal?

Please share your expertise.
Thank you.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Theo Plopododopulus Theo Plopododopulus is offline

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 19:32:49 -0000, fid wrote:

[...]

Why don't U get a pair of headphones and stop making the neigbours
lives a bloody misary!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

fid wrote:

[...]

In a room environment whatever sounds 'right' is best. You'll be measuring
standing waves, you do realise that, yes ? You'll get different results if you
move the meter.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
fid fid is offline

Why don't U get a pair of headphones and stop making the neigbours
lives a bloody misary!!!!!!!!

I am sorry. I thought this was a place were uninformed audio
enthusiast like me, having good time making the most with their audio
system, would be able to get some civilized anwsers.
However, I wouldn't be here asking questions if I were not a happy
person. At contrary you seem to be frustrated in life and you indeed
should not be wasteing your time here, but you should be working on
your own problems.

So, I tell you 'get a life' and go elsewhere to show your disconfort
and anger with whatever is bothering you.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article . com,
fid wrote:

Why don't U get a pair of headphones and stop making the neigbours
lives a bloody misary!!!!!!!!

I am sorry. I thought this was a place were uninformed audio
enthusiast like me, having good time making the most with their audio
system, would be able to get some civilized anwsers.
However, I wouldn't be here asking questions if I were not a happy
person. At contrary you seem to be frustrated in life and you indeed
should not be wasteing your time here, but you should be working on
your own problems.

So, I tell you 'get a life' and go elsewhere to show your disconfort
and anger with whatever is bothering you.

I'm sorry that I have no subwoofer experience, so I can't help. Good
luck and enjoy the music and your system!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

fid said:

I am sorry. I thought this was a place were uninformed audio
enthusiast like me, having good time making the most with their audio
system, would be able to get some civilized anwsers.

Just ignore the troll. Anybody who posts like that is one step above the
Krooborg.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

fid wrote:

Why don't U get a pair of headphones and stop making the neigbours
lives a bloody misary!!!!!!!!

I am sorry. I thought this was a place were uninformed audio
enthusiast like me, having good time making the most with their audio
system, would be able to get some civilized anwsers.

Sadly, there you were most mistaken.

A bunch of sad gits have chosen to make this place some kind of audio hellhole
on the basis it seems that the inclusion of 'opinion' in the group name makes
bad behaviour acceptable.

For the kind of question you posed, uk.rec.audio would have been a good choice
(I'm sure they won't hold it against you if you're not a Brit), although the sad
gits have been infesting that group too via cross-posting of late too.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"fid" wrote in message
ps.com
[...]

Do what sounds best to you.

But my question is: theoretically which setting would be the
ideal?

Room acoustics is such a complex area that it would take a huge amount of
data and analysis to properly answer your question. Since you already seem
to know what your preferred answer is, do it!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy dizzy is offline

fid wrote:

Because It appears that phase set to 180 phase would flatten the low
region of the sound would in practical terms be the best choice for me
since my room interaction produces a huge peak right at 32hz and 40hz.
But my question is: theoretically which setting would be the ideal?

Please share your expertise.
Thank you.

I don't think you're going to solve your problem by flipping a switch
between either 0 or 180. You're going to have to move the subwoofer
and speakers around. Better yet, a second subwoofer will smooth
things out somewhat.

Phase 88 HK Pro Audio 6 December 16th 06 08:22 PM
In phase? David Abrahams Pro Audio 10 June 13th 06 06:45 PM
phase reversing Matt Pro Audio 0 August 13th 04 04:28 AM
Q: Best amplification for diy subwoofer... subwoofer amp vs. passive+external mike vandy Tech 12 April 10th 04 04:40 AM
Need Specs for "Advent Subwoofer III" passive home subwoofer ??? unc80 Marketplace 0 July 8th 03 10:41 PM