Andrew

Default CD damage from heat exposure while in CDROM Drive

I have an iPod now and I've been ripping alot of CDs to my hardrive.
Whenever they come out they're always very hot. Does this heat inside
the drive threaten the CD (either now or in the long term)?

And besides allowing good ventilation, is there a way to keep a CD
drive cool?
Pooh Bear

Andrew wrote:

I have an iPod now and I've been ripping alot of CDs to my hardrive.
Whenever they come out they're always very hot. Does this heat inside
the drive threaten the CD (either now or in the long term)?

No - it's entirely normal. CDs straight out of a plain CD-ROM drive are
often warm too. It has *nothing* to do with the *burning* by the laser
btw. The laser power is way too low. It's just genaerally warm inside a
drive.

And besides allowing good ventilation, is there a way to keep a CD
drive cool?

Nothing special required / needed. The drives run warm since they use
electricity ! If you're fretting and have a large PC case - leave a spare
5-1/4" slot free above and below the drive.

It's *far* more important not to 'stack' hard drives close though.

Graham