Ron

Default Santa Cruz SPDIF Question

I use a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI card (Win 2000) to output SPDIF to an
outboard DAC, then on the the main studio monitor pre-amp.

There are several places (windows) where volume controls appear, the Santa
Cruz mixer/volume control, and player, i.e. Winamp.

Can I assume that an all digital path is taken from source (.wav) file to
DAC? This would imply that volume adjustment are done digitally. If so, I
am very curious just how this is accomplished.

My mind wanders into thoughts of also performing equilization this way,
which currently is only available on the "audio" out jack (analog) of the
Santa Cruz which implies it is doing DA first, then EQ.

Any thoughts or information about this would be greatly appreciated.

-Ron

Arny Krueger

"Ron" wrote in message
news
I use a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI card (Win 2000) to output SPDIF
to an outboard DAC, then on the the main studio monitor pre-amp.

There are several places (windows) where volume controls appear, the
Santa Cruz mixer/volume control, and player, i.e. Winamp.

Can I assume that an all digital path is taken from source (.wav)
file to DAC? This would imply that volume adjustment are done
digitally.

Yes.

If so, I am very curious just how this is accomplished.

A DSP on the sound card that has a multiplier in it.

My mind wanders into thoughts of also performing equilization this
way, which currently is only available on the "audio" out jack
(analog) of the Santa Cruz which implies it is doing DA first, then EQ.

You can get a better idea of what the guts of the SC are composed of by
looking up the chip numbers up on the respective vendor web sites. I think
that Crystal semiconductor provided most of the interesting circuits in the
SC http://www.cirrus.com/en/

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:18:59 GMT, "Ron"
wrote:

There are several places (windows) where volume controls appear, the Santa
Cruz mixer/volume control, and player, i.e. Winamp.

Can I assume that an all digital path is taken from source (.wav) file to
DAC? This would imply that volume adjustment are done digitally. If so, I
am very curious just how this is accomplished.

By simply throwing away the lower bits if information, I imagine.

My mind wanders into thoughts of also performing equilization this way,
which currently is only available on the "audio" out jack (analog) of the
Santa Cruz which implies it is doing DA first, then EQ.

Windows Media Player has a graphic EQ (View/Enhancements). If you
want to get further into digital audio manipulation you need to move
up from a simple player to a wave editing program.

Santa Cruz analog IN to digital OUT Mark D. Zacharias Tech 1 July 23rd 04 01:11 PM
Question on Santa Cruz Mark D. Zacharias Tech 0 July 22nd 04 12:06 PM
Santa Cruz Mark D. Zacharias Tech 1 July 11th 04 01:28 PM
Question on Santa Cruz sound card Mark D. Zacharias Tech 94 July 10th 04 07:45 AM