#1   Report Post  
Eepē

Default subwoofer input signal level auto standby annoyance

I have an Onkyo SKW-210 sub that has an annoyingly auto standy high input signal level (where it shuts off if it doesn't get a loud enough input signal). Is there something inside it I can tweak to lower this input signal threshold or something? I bought another brand sub before this one about a year ago (when I bought this one) and there was an internal switch that could make it always on, but I didn't like having to do that since it was annoying having to manually turn it off--and this sub doesn't even have a power switch (have to unplug it) so that's really not an option. I'd really just like to lower its sensitivity to input signal levels so it remains on even on low volume (hence the meaning of a sub in the first place!).

Any ideas?
  #2   Report Post  
Mark D. Zacharias

A technician would have to examine the schematic and see what parts are
involved with the auto-sensing. I wasn't able to find an SK-W210 service
manual, only a W200. If the 210 is the same circuit, then a mod could be
worked out. Trouble is, tech time is expensive - it might cost 100.00 or
more for the job.

Mark Z.

"Eepē" wrote in message ...
I have an Onkyo SKW-210 sub that has an annoyingly auto standy high input
signal level (where it shuts off if it doesn't get a loud enough input
signal). Is there something inside it I can tweak to lower this input
signal threshold or something? I bought another brand sub before this one
about a year ago (when I bought this one) and there was an internal switch
that could make it always on, but I didn't like having to do that since it
was annoying having to manually turn it off--and this sub doesn't even have
a power switch (have to unplug it) so that's really not an option. I'd
really just like to lower its sensitivity to input signal levels so it
remains on even on low volume (hence the meaning of a sub in the first
place!).

Any ideas?

#3   Report Post  
Stu-R

Have had same problem with different subwoofers. Techs tell me to
just turn the switch to "ON" and leave the units on all the time.
Power consumption when no signal is present is pretty low and no harm
will be done.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 06:19:17 GMT, Eepē wrote:

I have an Onkyo SKW-210 sub that has an annoyingly auto standy high input signal level (where it shuts off if it doesn't get a loud enough input signal). Is there something inside it I can tweak to lower this input signal threshold or something? I bought another brand sub before this one about a year ago (when I bought this one) and there was an internal switch that could make it always on, but I didn't like having to do that since it was annoying having to manually turn it off--and this sub doesn't even have a power switch (have to unplug it) so that's really not an option. I'd really just like to lower its sensitivity to input signal levels so it remains on even on low volume (hence the meaning of a sub in the first place!).

Any ideas?

#4   Report Post  
Eepē

Well, I'm not even sure this particular sub HAS a switch--but I haven't tried opening it yet so hopefully it does. Hate to waste power like that though--no matter how little. Ah well. Thanks. :/

Oh, just out of curiousity, which subs have you had experience with that don't have this problem (i.e. have higher input signal level thresholds)?

Stu-R wrote:

will be done.

Any ideas?

#5   Report Post  
Stu-R

I've had Paradigm, Pyle, AR, Cerwin-Vega, and Fluance. All of them
have had this problem.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:27:01 GMT, Eepē wrote:

Well, I'm not even sure this particular sub HAS a switch--but I haven't tried opening it yet so hopefully it does. Hate to waste power like that though--no matter how little. Ah well. Thanks. :/

Oh, just out of curiousity, which subs have you had experience with that don't have this problem (i.e. have higher input signal level thresholds)?

Stu-R wrote:

will be done.

Any ideas?

#6   Report Post  
Eepē

Ah, yes, Cerwin-Vega was the brand of the sub I tried before this Onkyo. But I'm interested in the subs you've had experience with that DON'T have this problem...

Stu-R wrote:

have had this problem.

Stu-R wrote:

will be done.

Any ideas?

#7   Report Post  
Stu-R

None

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:30:47 GMT, Eepē wrote:

Ah, yes, Cerwin-Vega was the brand of the sub I tried before this Onkyo. But I'm interested in the subs you've had experience with that DON'T have this problem...

Stu-R wrote:

have had this problem.

Stu-R wrote:

will be done.

Any ideas?

#8   Report Post  
Bob Weissman

I have the smallest Sunfire sub, the Solitaire 10.

http://www.sunfire.com/Solitaire10.htm

It has a 12-volt DC trigger input for controlling the power, overriding
the input-sensing auto on/off circuit. As long as your preamp or
receiver has a trigger output, this solution will solve your problem.
(My Proceed AVP preamp does have two such outputs. I use one to toggle
power to my power amp.)

That said, I don't use the sub's trigger input. The Sunfire seems to
turn on and off 100% reliably via the input signal.

- Bob

In article , Eepē wrote:
Ah, yes, Cerwin-Vega was the brand of the sub I tried before this Onkyo. But I'm
interested in the subs you've had experience with that DON'T have this problem...

Stu-R wrote:

have had this problem.

Well, I'm not even sure this particular sub HAS a switch--but I haven't tried

opening it yet so hopefully it does. Hate to waste power like that though--no
matter how little. Ah well. Thanks. :/

Oh, just out of curiousity, which subs have you had experience with that don't

have this problem (i.e. have higher input signal level thresholds)?

Stu-R wrote:

will be done.

I have an Onkyo SKW-210 sub that has an annoyingly auto standy high input

signal level (where it shuts off if it doesn't get a loud enough input signal). Is
there something inside it I can tweak to lower this input signal threshold or
something? I bought another brand sub before this one about a year ago (when I
bought this one) and there was an internal switch that could make it always on,
but I didn't like having to do that since it was annoying having to manually turn
it off--and this sub doesn't even have a power switch (have to unplug it) so
that's really not an option. I'd really just like to lower its sensitivity to
input signal levels so it remains on even on low volume (hence the meaning of a
sub in the first place!).

Any ideas?