Posted to rec.audio.pro
just bob[_2_] just bob[_2_] is offline

Default Beginners PC DAW suggestions needed

I want to configure a very basic beginners DAW, i.e. sequencing and
recording system on a older Pentium M laptop for a 13 year-old, with like
zero budget, and I am looking for suggestions.

She has an acoustic drum kit and sings.

I'm thinking any old used keyboard with midi out could serve as a controller
so I'll keep watching craigslist for that. I hope by plugging in a headphone
jack I can disable the onboard speakers.

I was hoping to setup a sample-based softsynth for sounds so everything is
contained in the laptop but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions for
freeware?

I'm trying to avoid buying a sample sound module. The local swapshop has a
Proteus for $75 (I think I paid $900 for one almost 20 years ago!) so that
is an option but I'd rather not have outboard gear.

Also need some sequencing software, and again looking for freeware or dirt
cheap, I'd pay maybe $70 if it was easy for her to use. Might that also
serve as the softsynth?

Finally she'll need a USB interface for audio and midi, and I'd like to pay
around $100. Suggestions?

I have a couple old unbalanced mics she could use, or one of my SM57's if
the interface supports XLR. She'll monitor all this with cans so I'll have
to get a set of those, too.

Thanks for any help you can lend!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 3, 5:03*pm, "just bob" wrote:
[...]

I use N track studio and I like it! for the most part..

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith W. Blackwell Keith W. Blackwell is offline

wrote:
On Mar 3, 5:03?pm, "just bob" wrote:

Speaking of cheap DAW SW, I know a lot of folks
get by with Audacity (may not qualify as "DAW", I
dunno), but I have only briefly looked at that
and N-Track Studio. I did play around with Krystal
Audio Engine once and found it impressive for a
"free for personal, educational and non-commercial use"
thingie.
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal

If you can get by with free software for everything
(and I honestly don't know if you can), that could
boost the available funds for hardware (interface,
an extra mic, a mic stand, one or two fiberboard
panels, etc.).

I also played around once with a soft controller called
"Cantible" (sp?), and fed some free Poly synth plug-in
to it, along with some free effects plug-ins, and
thought it was a fairly useful tool. YMMV.

I cannot offer much about interfaces. Just don't try
to use Windows XP Media Center Edition with *any*
audio interfaces.

Maybe consider combining the interface role with a portable
recorder (some products that do that are cheap, no?)
for those times when capturing tracks from elsewhere is
desirable, but a laptop is just too unweildy.

I guess I'm not much help (and I'm not a MIDI kind of
guy). But take it for whatever it's worth.

--
Keith W. Blackwell
(I do not speak for my employer or anyone else)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

just bob wrote:
I want to configure a very basic beginners DAW, i.e. sequencing and
recording system on a older Pentium M laptop for a 13 year-old, with
like zero budget, and I am looking for suggestions.

She has an acoustic drum kit and sings.

I'm thinking any old used keyboard with midi out could serve as a
controller so I'll keep watching craigslist for that. I hope by
plugging in a headphone jack I can disable the onboard speakers.

With the small consumer-type keyboards, that used to be normal. How it is
nowadays: I don´t know, but I´d guess it hasn´t changed.

I was hoping to setup a sample-based softsynth for sounds so
everything is contained in the laptop but I'm not sure where to
start. Any suggestions for freeware?

If your just looking for a very simple audio-only multi-track sequencer, I
would suggest taking a look at "Kristal Audio Engine" (supports ASIO drivers
and VST effects). It´s very stripped down and basic, but IMHO because of
this just perfect for beginners. The "downside" is, that it has no MIDI
functions at all.
http://kreatives.org/kristal/

If you want to spend some money for an all-in-one audio + MIDI sequencer,
take a look at the small versions of Sonar or Samplitude. They are quite
cheap, but surprisingly good. Both programs are compatible with ASIO drivers
and VST + DX plug-ins (for softsynths/-samplers + fx) - so they are
compatible with the "standards" for home-recording/project studio DAWs.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HomeStudio/English/
http://www.magix.com/us/samplitude-music-studio/detail/

I'm trying to avoid buying a sample sound module. The local swapshop
has a Proteus for $75 (I think I paid $900 for one almost 20 years
ago!) so that is an option but I'd rather not have outboard gear.

I would also try to avoid outboard gear as far as possible - especially for
a 13 year-old beginner. There´s already enough other stuff to learn with DAW
related functions...
Outboard gear is fine, if you know what you´re doing. But combining outboard
gear with a computer-based DAW is nothing for a beginner. She can still
decide later, if she thinks she needs anything "real" (as opposed to
"modeled" in software).

Also need some sequencing software, and again looking for freeware or
dirt cheap, I'd pay maybe $70 if it was easy for her to use. Might
that also serve as the softsynth?

Indirectly. You can load software-based synths or sampler plug-ins. There
are tons of freeware available on the net. A lot is crap, but there´s also
great freeware stuff out there. With a DAW sequencer software, that´s
compatible with VST and DirectX plug-ins, you´ll be open to a wide variety
of those.

Finally she'll need a USB interface for audio and midi, and I'd like
to pay around $100. Suggestions?

Hmmm, you´ll probably have to spend a bit more for a 2-channel (with 2 mic
preamps) + midi USB interface. I´d stay away from the Tascam US-122 or 144 -
they´re nice devices, but tend to have quirky drivers. Without good drivers
for your audio interface, you´re lost in the software DAW world.

I have a couple old unbalanced mics she could use, or one of my
SM57's if the interface supports XLR. She'll monitor all this with
cans so I'll have to get a set of those, too.

Any of the USB audio/midi interfaces I´ve seen, have XLR ins and headphones
outputs. There are bundled versions of Cakewalk´s Sonar that come with such
an interface. Otherwise buy something separately.
Since I personally don´t use USB interfaces, I can´t really suggest
something from personal experience. Anyway, M-Audio is a maker of such
interfaces, with a reputation for good drivers. The "Fast Track PRO" is
their smallest product with audio and MIDI. The "Fast Track ULTRA" has 4 mic
inputs, which may be favorable for recording drums with up to 4 mics (2x
overhead, kick, snare), but also some other additional features. The
question is, if a beginner really needs those additional features.
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...=USBinterfaces

Hope that helps a bit,

Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Keith W. Blackwell wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 3, 5:03?pm, "just bob" wrote: ...

Speaking of cheap DAW SW, I know a lot of folks
get by with Audacity (may not qualify as "DAW", I
dunno), but I have only briefly looked at that
and N-Track Studio. I did play around with Krystal
Audio Engine once and found it impressive for a
"free for personal, educational and non-commercial use"
thingie.
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal

Or not quite free , though freely-available/usable is REAPER, which is much
more of a real DAW.

www.reaper.fm

geoff

PS Also mailto

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler[_2_] Paul Stamler[_2_] is offline

"just bob" wrote in message
I want to configure a very basic beginners DAW, i.e. sequencing and
recording system on a older Pentium M laptop for a 13 year-old, with like
zero budget, and I am looking for suggestions.

Try either n-track studio or Reaper.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Mar 4, 1:37 am, "Paul Stamler" wrote:
"just bob" wrote in message

I want to configure a very basic beginners DAW, i.e. sequencing and
recording system on a older Pentium M laptop for a 13 year-old, with like
zero budget, and I am looking for suggestions.

Try either n-track studio or Reaper.

Peace,
Paul

+1

If you had an old mac running OS 8 or 9, you could find/use Opcode's
Studio Vison which was released without copy protection just before
Gibson killed the company. Still around on some user groups.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

I'm not a serious DAW user, but I occasionally have the need (more often
than not for a hardware review) to
pretend that I'm working in the DAW environment. When looking around for
an inexpensive program that
did all the things I needed to be able to do, I ended up keeping Reaper.
It handles ASIO devices, has a
mixer graphic that sort of works like a mixer, supports VST plug-ins
(including virtual instruments) and
works with MIDI as well as audio.

It's free to try. http://www.reaper.fm/