Daniel Fox

Default Pro Tools outs clipping A&H Line ins?

We just swapped our Mackie 24 8 bus for a new Allen & Heath MixWizard3
board. Trouble is the main outs (1/4" balanced) from our Digi 002R are
clipping the line ins on the board even with the trims all the way
down... When PFL'd the A&H meters show between +9 and +16. It's only
a problem with hot material (full mix with an L2 on the master fader),
but it is definitely audible on louder passages. Very annoying!

This was never a problem with the Mackie (granted we were using tape
returns there.) This board sounds better, has better EQ, and fits our
needs size wise so i'm really hoping this is solveable. Any help is
greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Dan Fox
ZUMIX, Inc

david

In article .com,
Daniel Fox wrote:

We just swapped our Mackie 24 8 bus for a new Allen & Heath MixWizard3
board. Trouble is the main outs (1/4" balanced) from our Digi 002R are
clipping the line ins on the board even with the trims all the way
down... When PFL'd the A&H meters show between +9 and +16. It's only
a problem with hot material (full mix with an L2 on the master fader),
but it is definitely audible on louder passages. Very annoying!

This was never a problem with the Mackie (granted we were using tape
returns there.) This board sounds better, has better EQ, and fits our
needs size wise so i'm really hoping this is solveable. Any help is
greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Dan Fox
ZUMIX, Inc

Check out your manual and see if the 002 will allow you adjust its
hardware output level. This option exists on other Digi gear like the
192k and 888 interfaces. Just need a little screwdriver. Don't know if
the 002 does ...

Even with the adjustment, you may have to live with lowering the output
lower levels to your board. Proper gain staging, especially if you are
using the board's eq, is very important.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
Scott Dorsey

Daniel Fox wrote:
We just swapped our Mackie 24 8 bus for a new Allen & Heath MixWizard3
board. Trouble is the main outs (1/4" balanced) from our Digi 002R are
clipping the line ins on the board even with the trims all the way
down... When PFL'd the A&H meters show between +9 and +16. It's only
a problem with hot material (full mix with an L2 on the master fader),
but it is definitely audible on louder passages. Very annoying!

So, stick a pad in there. Always make sure to have a bag of adjustable
pads around. They are one of the most useful things in the junk drawer.

Daniel Fox

Where do I get these? And will they have any effect on the signal
other than attenuating it?
I'm almost positive the 002R does not have an output level control
(hardware or software) but i'll double check.

Dan Fox

Scott Dorsey

Daniel Fox wrote:
Where do I get these? And will they have any effect on the signal
other than attenuating it?

They may alter the impedance as well, which is not a big deal. I
recommend the switchable Shure attenuators, which give you 15 dB to
25 dB attenuation depending on how you set the switch. Any Shure
dealer will carry them, although Markertek is probably cheaper than
your local music store. Get a dozen.

I'm almost positive the 002R does not have an output level control
(hardware or software) but i'll double check.

Look for a "reference level" setting either in software or on some
DIP switches.
Chris Cavell

The converters' calibration is not adjustable on the 002 line of
products. For reference, -14 dBfs = +4 dBu. This particular spec
isn't atypical these days, and as long as you observe nominal levels
when tracking (same calibration at the A to D), really ought not to
give you problems with modern mixers.

Daniel Fox

Chris Cavell wrote:
This particular spec
isn't atypical these days, and as long as you observe nominal levels
when tracking (same calibration at the A to D), really ought not to
give you problems with modern mixers.

Well... it is and i'm not doing anything atypical. Even if I play
commercial songs through ITunes (using digidesign core audio manager) I
have the same problem.

The only Shure pad that I've found is the A15AS with XLR ins and outs
for $35!!
Thats near $300 bucks just for pads for all 8 Pro Tools outputs! Plus
the cabling from the patchbay (TRS) and from the pad to the line in
(TRS). This has got me steamed!

These are pretty standard pieces of gear (002R and MixWizard3) and I
just can't believe that neither Allen & Heath nor Digidesign has made
any provisions for such a typical setup.

I am willing to build some simple pads if someone was so kind as to
have a schematic and parts list.
Otherwise we may have to return the A & H and put the Mackie back in
place (I just shed a single tear).

Dan Fox
ZUMIX, Inc
www.zumix.org

Scott Dorsey

Daniel Fox wrote:

The only Shure pad that I've found is the A15AS with XLR ins and outs
for $35!!
Thats near $300 bucks just for pads for all 8 Pro Tools outputs! Plus
the cabling from the patchbay (TRS) and from the pad to the line in
(TRS). This has got me steamed!

That seems about a reasonable price. If you want, you can make your own,
but the barrel connectors will cost almost that much.

These days, with the bargain basement equipment available today, it is
not surprising to see cabling, connectors, and miscellaneous interface
things like transformer boxes and pads costing as much as the equipment.

These are pretty standard pieces of gear (002R and MixWizard3) and I
just can't believe that neither Allen & Heath nor Digidesign has made
any provisions for such a typical setup.

I am willing to build some simple pads if someone was so kind as to
have a schematic and parts list.

You can build cables with pads. Try 6 dB to start with. Schematic is
in the Audio Cyclopedia under "T-pads."

Otherwise we may have to return the A & H and put the Mackie back in
place (I just shed a single tear).

You'll just be down this road again somewhere else with some other gear.
Get a big bag of pads and a big bag of isolation transformers and you'll
be fine. You will always need them for something.
Chris Cavell

Okay...this may seem a bit obvious, but have you tried the -20dB
Pad/Line switches located at the gain trims on the A&H? They should be
engaged when the inputs are line level instead of mic level. (If you
aren't using these, they'd probably give you better results than an
in-line pad...iirc, they bypass a fixed 20dB gain stage. If you are
using them properly, and the problem persists...I'd say get a different
mixer.)

But, the inputs of the MW3 line spec out a max in of +30dBu...you're
probably just hovering around +13dBu judging by what the you've said
the meters are displaying...kind of odd...the mixer should be able to
handle it.

Daniel Fox

Right. A&H actually told me +27. A typical modern recording
especially pop/rock/hiphop/etc (whether my mix or commercial) hovers
around +12 on the A%H meter with the red light at the top of the ladder
flickering every once in a while. This does not indicate +27... But I
swear I hear some distortion in the high mids that goes away when I
pull down the master fader in pro tools 6 db or so.
I'm think i'm going to learn a lesson in building an 8 in 8 out trs to
trs pad box. grumble grumble...

Dan

Chris Cavell

If you make a box, it's pretty easy. For every pair of xlr connectors
you'll need three resistors...that's pretty much it. Point to point
will work fine for this kind of thing.

Arny Krueger

"Daniel Fox" wrote in message
ups.com
Chris Cavell wrote:
This particular spec
isn't atypical these days, and as long as you observe
nominal levels when tracking (same calibration at the A
to D), really ought not to give you problems with modern
mixers.

Well... it is and i'm not doing anything atypical. Even
if I play commercial songs through ITunes (using
digidesign core audio manager) I have the same problem.

The only Shure pad that I've found is the A15AS with XLR
ins and outs for $35!!

The Proco fixed pads are about $20.

http://www.swee****er.com/store/manufacturer/Pro_Co/pn8

see MAX10, MAX20, etc.

You can make your own for as little as $10. First buy the
classic Switchcraft S3FM male-female XLR shell

http://www.sandlpro.com/ItemView.cfm?INV_ID=3989

or some Hosa polarity inverters

http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/GXX195/

Then dissassemble and rewire as attenuators per this web
page:

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

Daniel Fox

Thanks so much for the links and info Arny. Very much appreciated.
Now if only something existed like those hosa barrel inverters but TRS
- Jack to Plug with enough space inside for the resistors.

Dan

WillStG

Daniel Fox wrote:
Right. A&H actually told me +27. A typical modern recording
especially pop/rock/hiphop/etc (whether my mix or commercial) hovers
around +12 on the A%H meter with the red light at the top of the ladder
flickering every once in a while. This does not indicate +27... But I
swear I hear some distortion in the high mids that goes away when I
pull down the master fader in pro tools 6 db or so.
I'm think i'm going to learn a lesson in building an 8 in 8 out trs to
trs pad box. grumble grumble...

The line ins on some older SSL consoles crap out when you hit them
hard with digital signals too. I was used to engineers trying to
track as hot as they could, but it always sounded much much better when
Tom Lazarus would come in and record on the 16bit 3348's with pretty
conservative levels ( 0VU = 20DBfs .) Now, with 24 bit recording you
really really don't need hot levels like 0VU = -14DBfs, and I don't
understand why Digi does that. If you track as if your -6DB level was
0, it should sound fine and you won't crap out the line ins on your
console. There may be third party meter plug ins you can use with a
selectable 0VU level reading.

As for a meter reading +12 or + 16 level crapping the +27 headroom
A&H line ins, sure! +16VU with a 12 db peak (easy enough to have) will
hit +28, no? It's the transient peaks that will nail the line ins and
make them crackle, sometimes transient peaks that some cheap meters or
those little A&H leds lamps cannot even read well enough to warn you
about.

So bottom line, I'd try to create a workflow with adjustable plug
in metering so you don't track as hot as you have been. Then you'd need
no pads. With the stuff you already have tracked, you might want to
compare the sound of mutiple tracks with pads engaged compared to
multiple tracks with their individual output faders just pulled down
6-7DB across the board. Does the added math really sound worse than
the added pads? Or maybe just pad the tracks that actually give you
trouble - or maybe just mix the project currently in process "in the
box".

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy

Chris Cavell

WillStG wrote:
As for a meter reading +12 or + 16 level crapping the +27 headroom
A&H line ins, sure! +16VU with a 12 db peak (easy enough to have) will
hit +28, no?

Not possible with a 002. You shouldn't be able to get anything much
greater than +14VU tops out of it...peaks and all. The machine's
calibration has only got enough headroom to reproduce +18dBu at full
scale.

I totally agree with absolutely everything else you said though. The
"track hot to digital" customary practice from the first generation
ADAT days are killing alot of guys that don't know any better with
their 24bit machines today.

Cheers,
Chris

WillStG

Chris Cavell wrote:
WillStG wrote:
As for a meter reading +12 or + 16 level crapping the +27 headroom
A&H line ins, sure! +16VU with a 12 db peak (easy enough to have) will
hit +28, no?

Not possible with a 002. You shouldn't be able to get anything much
greater than +14VU tops out of it...peaks and all. The machine's
calibration has only got enough headroom to reproduce +18dBu at full
scale.

I totally agree with absolutely everything else you said though. The
"track hot to digital" customary practice from the first generation
ADAT days are killing alot of guys that don't know any better with
their 24bit machines today.

Doh! - of course 0VU=14DBfs can't produce peaks above ODBfs.

But Daniel *was* mentioning levels of +16 prefade occasionally
lighting up the peak led. So the levels are likely a bit hotter than
that, no? Besides there not being Unity gain in this setup, something
else is probably going in here. Let's see what the A&H MizWizard specs
say. Hmmmm....

"[TRS] line inputs, with internal option for +4dBu, routed via
level controls and underpanel switches to Mix1 and Mix2."

Daniel, are you sure your Mizwizard is internally setup for the
line inputs to be at +4?

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy

Daniel Fox

Good points Will but let me offer some clarification of my original
statements. I do understand the difference in setting levels in a 24
bit digital environment vs tape for example and work accordingly. If I
send a mix out (as stems) on all 8 digi outputs and PFL on the A&H I am
getting readings in the vicinity of 0db. No problem there. These 8
channels summed in the board are not exeeding the headroom of the
board.
Problem is when I do "mix in the box" I need to present the A&H with a
stereo mix out from Pro Tools, often with a L2 limiter on the whole mix
putting levels in the box right near full scale digital (-.2 db). This
is how I monitor my mix. This hot stereo out is lighting up the A&H
meters.
So all your suggestions are exellent and make sense when mixing on the
board, but monitoring my "in the box" mix is where the problem lies.

Dan

Daniel Fox

Will,
Are you reading the MixWizard3 (newest model) specs. I believe that
the balanced line ins from the factory are +4.

Dan

Daniel Fox

Another interesting (but maybe unrelated) development:
I ran a test today sending a 1khz test tone (-6 db) out of all 8 digi
outputs to the board. When PFL'd the meters showed +3 db. When the
channel and master fader were put at unity gain the meters read 0.
This was consistent on all 8 channels and also when the same test was
run at 40 Hz, 10Khz, and 20Khz. For what reason would the PFL meters
read 3 db higher than the same signal at unity gain?

Dan

Chris Cavell

To generate more headroom at the mix buss on the board...i think that's
what they claim in the manual anyway...it's nothing new; mackie's been
doing the same thing for years.

However, that 1k tone should be set at -14dBfs to give you a 0VU
reading on your board.

Chris Cavell

just to make sure, have you bothered to check with a multimeter to make
sure things are operating where they are supposed to at +4dBu. If
anything, it might point out a problem with the A&H meters perhaps...

Lorin David Schultz

"WillStG" wrote:

[...] you might want to compare the sound of mutiple tracks with pads
engaged compared to multiple tracks with their individual output
faders just pulled down 6-7DB across the board.

I recently had to cut together a bunch of stuff that had been imported
from "all the way up" sources (peaks at 0dBFS). I just pulled down the
faders in Pro Tools when transferring it out to other devices in the
plant.

Even when you can't control the level on the way in, controlling it on
the way out is easy.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

I ran a test today sending a 1khz test tone (-6 db) out of all 8 digi
outputs to the board. When PFL'd the meters showed +3 db.

For what reason would the PFL meters
read 3 db higher than the same signal at unity gain?

Different concept of what "zero" is. The official way of defining the
analog level for 0 dBFS is the RMS value of a sine wave that peaks at
full scale. An alternate (and equally common) way of defining it is
the peak value of the sine wave that peaks at 0 dBFS. There's 3 dB
difference between those two analog voltages.

Nobody openly says which calibration method they use.

I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the -6 dB tone (is
this a computer-generated tone at that level? ) and the +3 dB reading
on the console meters.

If the console is set for unity gain, the -6 dB tone should read
6 dB below whatever the full scale output of the Digidesign interface
is, relative to whatever the 0 VU sensitivity of the console is. This
is what you should see on the meter when you press the PFL button on
an input channel. For instance, if full scale output of the 002 is, as
someone suggested, +18 dBu, and if the console is calibrated so that
0 VU = +4 dBu (this usually means that the gain trim is at its unity
position), the -6 dBFS tone should produce an output of +12 dBu from
the 002, so the PFL meter should read +8 VU (that's not dBu).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
WillStG

Daniel Fox wrote:
Problem is when I do "mix in the box" I need to present the A&H with a
stereo mix out from Pro Tools, often with a L2 limiter on the whole mix
putting levels in the box right near full scale digital (-.2 db). This
is how I monitor my mix. This hot stereo out is lighting up the A&H
meters.
So all your suggestions are exellent and make sense when mixing on the
board, but monitoring my "in the box" mix is where the problem lies.

This kind of problem also would sometimes happen on big consoles
when you try to bring a DAT tape return into a 2 track return, and
because 0VU on the DAT deck might be set at say -14DBfs for the
particular mix session, it would be way too hot.

Anyway, you can try using the headphone out for your monitoring
(which has an adjustable gain pot, yes?) - or just use the -10 rca
jacks out of the 002 and patch them into a tape return on the Mix
Wizard.

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy

Daniel Fox

Is it possible to be overdriving the virtual bus within Pro Tools even
if no clip lights are lit anywhere?

Chris Cavell

Daniel, yes...in a way...

The master fader is different than other tracks in that the plugins are
post fader, but the meter is post plugins. You could be clipping the
buss (disable all plugins on the master fader and lower the fader until
it doesn't light up the clip light). Or you could be clipping a
plugin...and that often won't show up anywhere but in the plugin itself
depending upong your chain.

Daniel Fox

Chris Cavell wrote:
Daniel, yes...in a way...

The master fader is different than other tracks in that the plugins are
post fader, but the meter is post plugins. You could be clipping the
buss (disable all plugins on the master fader and lower the fader until
it doesn't light up the clip light). Or you could be clipping a
plugin...and that often won't show up anywhere but in the plugin itself
depending upong your chain.

No you got me thinking. Worst case scenario (and I certainly try not
to let this happen): with no plug ins on the master fader (set at
unity) the sum of all tracks is clipping the master fader. I then
insert a waves L2 limiter on the master fader. The L2 it self will not
clip because it incorporates a "ceiling" (which I usually set at -.2).
The resulting master fader meter does not show clipping, but levels
near the top. My understanding was that the L2 took the overly hot sum
of all channels and limited it so as to keep it under the "ceiling".
Are you saying that in this case I could be inducing digital distortion
even though none of the meters indicate this?

Dan

Scott Dorsey

Daniel Fox wrote:

No you got me thinking. Worst case scenario (and I certainly try not
to let this happen): with no plug ins on the master fader (set at
unity) the sum of all tracks is clipping the master fader. I then
insert a waves L2 limiter on the master fader. The L2 it self will not
clip because it incorporates a "ceiling" (which I usually set at -.2).
The resulting master fader meter does not show clipping, but levels
near the top. My understanding was that the L2 took the overly hot sum
of all channels and limited it so as to keep it under the "ceiling".
Are you saying that in this case I could be inducing digital distortion
even though none of the meters indicate this?

The whole POINT of limiters is that they clip. They clip softly and
less offensively than immediate overload, but they are basically
clipping devices.

If you put a ceiling at -.2, the overload indicator will not come on
because the overload indicator lights when a certain number of consecutive
FS samples are seen, and with the ceiling brought down to anywhere below
FS, there will be no FS samples at all on the limiter output.

But the limiter is still hacking the top off the waveform like some
sort of wood planer, gouging the crap out of everything that sticks
out. That's what the limiter does.

If you're regularly seeing more than 3 dB or so of limiting, you are
going to hear some audible effects. The overload light won't come on,
but it will still sound like crap.

Chris Cavell

Daniel Fox wrote:
Chris Cavell wrote:
[...]

You ARE clipping the output of the summing buss, then following it with
a limiter that hides this fact from view.

The master fader in pro tools functions as a bit selector for the
summing buss, and as you have it positioned currently, it's not
selecting all of the bits to send on to the plugin chain that follows,
it's chopping off meaninful musical data before sending it on.

Daniel Fox

Jeez, That's the problem! All this time i've been using carpentry
tools to work on music. What was I thinking? But seriously, your
point is noted however, when I use a L2 it is usually only doing 1-3
db of GR.

Dan

Daniel Fox

Hmmm. That makes a lot of sense. I'm going to do some more testing
and listening to make sure that I am attributing the audible distortion
to the right part of the signal chain. The input is pretty hot at the
board but I suppose it's possible the crunchiness came from within the
software. Hopefully I won't have to don the duncecap.

Dan

Scott Dorsey

Daniel Fox wrote:
Jeez, That's the problem! All this time i've been using carpentry
tools to work on music. What was I thinking? But seriously, your
point is noted however, when I use a L2 it is usually only doing 1-3
db of GR.

Then you might be able to get away with even more of it. Just keep
listening and crank the levels into the L2 up until you hear it starting
to sound funny. Then drop them back down.

You shouldn't be hearing dramatic tonal changes in the L2, other than
maybe a little softening on the top end. If you are hearing it, you
are hitting it too hard.

If you have to hit it that hard to get your levels right, you probably
aren't compressing properly before you hit the L2. If, on the other
hand, the top end is still screwed up even with the L2 bypassed and
levels down, you're probably compressing too much beforehand. Or at
least too fast.

CAKEWALK SONAR 4 PRODUCER EDITION, Vienna Symphonic Orchestra Pro Performance ( VSL ), for giga sampler, 28 DVDs, and Quantum Leap 17 DVDs, Sonic Implants Symphonic Brass Collection [2 DVDs], M-Audio ProSessions [2 CDs], Simon Harris Beats [3 CDs], n code_fu Marketplace 0 October 19th 04 03:13 AM
For Sale: Pro Tools Software TDM and Plugins Joe Mc Marketplace 0 October 19th 04 12:50 AM
Pro tools Ilok Plug ins Mark Pro Audio 0 September 8th 04 07:41 PM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 4/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 06:54 AM
Pioneer Clipping and Distortion was:DEH-P840MP, infinity kappa 693.5i and kappa 50.5cs component. Soundfreak03 Car Audio 0 August 29th 03 04:05 AM