Brian Allen

Default Entry level audio test equipment

Looking for recomendations for an entry level test suite of measurement
devices. Spcifically I'd like to measure distortion/noise and generate
signals. Devices with balanced i/o (where appropriate) would be ideal.
I'm good on a scope and meter. Could I do this for about $1k (used is
fine). I'm open to PC based or individual boxed units. If PC based
what are the options for data aquisition cards?

Thanks guys,
Brian

Murray Peterson

Brian Allen wrote in news:t%7hd.13670$5i5.7989
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Looking for recomendations for an entry level test suite of measurement
devices. Spcifically I'd like to measure distortion/noise and generate
signals. Devices with balanced i/o (where appropriate) would be ideal.
I'm good on a scope and meter. Could I do this for about $1k (used is
fine). I'm open to PC based or individual boxed units. If PC based
what are the options for data aquisition cards?

These products work well, and you can use almost any soundcard you have
sitting around:

http://www.etfacoustic.com/SoftwareOverview.html
http://www.speakerworkshop.com/SW/Feature%20Summary.htm (freeware)
Arny Krueger

"Brian Allen" wrote in message
link.net

Looking for recomendations for an entry level test suite of
measurement devices. Spcifically I'd like to measure
distortion/noise and generate signals. Devices with balanced i/o
(where appropriate) would be ideal. I'm good on a scope and meter. Could
I do this for about $1k (used is fine). I'm open to PC based
or individual boxed units. If PC based what are the options for data
aquisition cards?

The data acquisition card of choice is simply a good sound card. Got any
idea what sort of residuals you are looking for?

The software part of the equation might surprise you - its a freebie. I've
done a fair amount of equipment testing using sound cards and various pieces
of software for my www.pcavtech.com web site. At this point my software
package of choice is the freeware Audio Rightmark program which google will
point you at. It runs a whole test suite in a couple of minutes, noise, THD,
IM, frequency response, and several different noise measurements.

If you're going for residuals in the 0.01% range, then you might find that
the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 will work for you. If you are headed in the
0.001% range, then one of the Echo cards even the Mia, or the DAL Card
Deluxe might be for you. If you are headed for where the air is rare, being
residuals well below 0.001%, then the LynxTWO is the card for you. Even it
will be within your budget. The Card Deluxe and the LynxTwo are full
balanced in and out.

If you use a sound card for a measurement device, then you will want some
kind of input attenuator so you can work with signals at various levels.
Easy does it for me - a high grade 5 K 2 watt AB type potentiometer.

Brian Allen

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

Thanks Arny, Ive got two sound cards, an echo darla and an alesis AI3
interfaced through an alesis adat edit card. I'll have to look and see
how they perform.

Thanks,
Brian

Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!! lcw999 High End Audio 405 April 29th 04 01:27 AM
Yet another DBT post Andrew Korsh High End Audio 205 February 29th 04 06:36 PM
audio coax cable JYC High End Audio 239 January 18th 04 08:12 PM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM
What is a Distressor ? Rick Knepper Pro Audio 5 July 22nd 03 05:58 PM