Posted to rec.audio.car
bolt thrower bolt thrower is offline

Default Audiophiles still here?

Haven't read the forum in a couple of years gentlemen, need some advice
from the audiophiles if there are still any around.

Have an Apline-headed system with an ESX Q1204 driving CDT braxials and an
a/d/s/ reference 10" Its a fantastic system but its coming up one four
years old. I drive 180 miles a day so its seen a lot of use.

Thinking about replacing the car, and of course my next ride will need a
system. Focus, of course, will be SQ.

Wondering if anyone can recommend a 3-way component system for under $1000
that can be driven by the front channels of the Q1204. Would like the
midbass to be extremely meaty (my current system lacks midbass) and will
likely mount them in the doors, with the remaining components in the
kicks, possibly with the tweeters up top or in the a-pillars.

Have been very pleased overall with the CDTs, but as I said they lack
midbass (there will be some equalization for the new system -- I have none
now -- so I am not blaming the speakers directly).

Everything else will pretty much remain the same.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Tony here has been very pleased with his three-way Dynaudio separates. I
would check those out for sure.

Morel makes very good speakers and I have heard nothing but praise for their
Supremo line.

Focal makes great speakers of course.

I have been very happy with my JL midbass drivers. They kill anything MB
Quart has to offer.
I would add Jl to your list as well.

MOSFET

"bolt thrower" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

bolt thrower wrote:
Haven't read the forum in a couple of years gentlemen, need some advice
from the audiophiles if there are still any around.

Heheheh... any "REAL" audiophiles wouldn't be caught dead listening to a car
stereo... the wires for their home speakers cost more than than your car!

[...]

I highly recommend MB Quarts. They sound great, but they are power-hungry. My
current car is still using a set of two-ways I got 12 years ago.
Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

I feel ya'. I drive on average 150mi/day on my job...

Funny, I recall the CDT's being touted for their incredible mid-bass
response... I never got a chance to actually hear 'em though.

I'm using some Old-school Morel 6.2 (two way components) with an ESX
120^2, and I'm extremely happy with them. Solid frequency response down
to (and below) 80hz, and excellent power handling capabilities (3in
voice coils). I sold my Morel three way system to Mark Zarella (for
$250(!) + a Denon x-over) years ago, and have been kicking myself ever
since.

I had great luck with a three-way set of Crystal Mobile sound speakers
in the past, but I'm not up on where they're at currently - and last I
knew, quality seemed to be in flux.

Focal and MB Quart have never been in my tops list for mid-bass
response. I usually think of them in terms of detail, clarity, and
"brightness." Fine qualities for sure, but I'm thinking they're
probably not what you're looking for.

Dynaudio are always near the top --- but I find them very similar to the
Morels, and the Morels can be had for much less.

If you're really looking to spend up to $1000, have you looked into
rainbow's reference series? I auditioned a set in a Demo car a couple
of years ago, and was absolutely floored by them.
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...hp?pro=1&lan=2
I don't know for sure, but I think they're going to set you back about
$1000 for the reference line - if you can find them...

BUT, I think my break point for a component set would be under $500.
anything beyond that, I'd be more concerned with amplification. Don't
get me wrong... I'm one of the biggest fans out there of the Quantum's
[I have a 120^2, 175^2(sadly in need of repair), a 60^4, and a 475^1],
but with $1000 components, I'm thinking Brax, McIntosh, or some insane
Boutique tube amp... If you do decide to upgrade amplification - I'd be
interested in that 120^4

All that said, I've found that proper deadening and sealing of your
doors is more important to mid-bass response than speaker brand, model,
or even power. Also, constructing MDF baffles for the mounting surface
makes a huge difference. I get the feeling that you already knew that,
but I just wanted to make sure that those conditions were a given for
the conversation.

Another big difference I've found is with newer decks. I just installed
last year's Pioneer Premier 860 with auto EQ and time alignment. The
difference in SQ is VERY noticeable - even without external
equalization. I did A LOT of looking around at newer decks, and if I had
the extra $$ to spend, I'd have gone with the new Premier p980bt - with
Bluetooth built in. Truly hands free cell phone integrated with the
sound system? Sweet... Especially when you're putting 180mi+ a day.

Well, I started this post intending to give you my 2 cents, but I think
I went way over budget on that one...

KeithS

bolt thrower wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

keith wrote:

If you're really looking to spend up to $1000, have you looked into
rainbow's reference series? I auditioned a set in a Demo car a couple
of years ago, and was absolutely floored by them.
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...hp?pro=1&lan=2
I don't know for sure, but I think they're going to set you back about
$1000 for the reference line - if you can find them...

Um, that was wrong - WAY wrong... Upon further research, The Platinums
are closer to $2000, while the reference series are closer to the
$10,000 range... I think I must have moved a decimal point in my memory...

Anyway - they were SWEET!!!

KeithS

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chris Chris is offline

keith schrieb:

keith wrote:

If you're really looking to spend up to $1000, have you looked into
rainbow's reference series? I auditioned a set in a Demo car a couple
of years ago, and was absolutely floored by them.
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...hp?pro=1&lan=2
I don't know for sure, but I think they're going to set you back about
$1000 for the reference line - if you can find them...

Um, that was wrong - WAY wrong... Upon further research, The Platinums
are closer to $2000, while the reference series are closer to the
$10,000 range... I think I must have moved a decimal point in my memory...

Anyway - they were SWEET!!!

Hello

the esx amp is also a cool stuff !
http://www.powernetshop.at/esx-car-h...amm/index.html