Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jack Bauer

Default Where to ask about HD Radio... here?

I am looking a newsgroup where they discuss the equipment and status of
HD radio. From the looks of it, it appears this group is just close.

I have been hearing ads for HD Radio, in particular, Boston Acoustics is
suddenly pushing the HD version of its Recepter radio. Just want to
know a little more because the www.hdradio.com site is pretty useless,
pointing to manufacturer sites that really don't have much.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I think there are several radio groups, which you might search
with Google. But I am replying just to express my sincere and intense
wish that Ibiquity IBOC fails utterly, killing Ibiquity dead and
making the millions spent on HD totally wasted. IBOC Sucks! May it DIIE
DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? :-)

And, maybe explain why you feel that way?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bret Ludwig

Karl Uppiano wrote:
"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I think there are several radio groups, which you might search
with Google. But I am replying just to express my sincere and intense
wish that Ibiquity IBOC fails utterly, killing Ibiquity dead and
making the millions spent on HD totally wasted. IBOC Sucks! May it DIIE
DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? :-)

And, maybe explain why you feel that way?

I feel that way because, one AM IBOC is crapping up the broadcast band
at night and making skywave listening to clear channel (not Clear
Channel!) stations impossible or at least difficult.

Secondly, Ibiquity's business and licensing models are counter to the
idea of free broadcast standards.

Thirdly, IBOC digital-a misnomer as it is "in band" but "outside the
channel"- is a poor concept that does not work well at all. A pure
digital approach would be far better.

My suggrstion: One, expand BCB to 2 MHz, and give the hams a chunk of
more favorable spectrum to make up for losing 160 Meters. And keep it
analog with improved analog standards.

Two, create a digital audio broadcast band elsewhere, or more than
one. Use DAB or DRM technology. Or expand the FM BC band upwards,
getting rid of VHF Omnirange as we should have along with A-N ranges
decades ago, and put everyone on TACAN/MLS, and use subcarrier on the
expanded FM BCB for digital.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
JohnR66

"Jack Bauer" wrote in message
m...
I am looking a newsgroup where they discuss the equipment and status of HD
radio. From the looks of it, it appears this group is just close.

I have been hearing ads for HD Radio, in particular, Boston Acoustics is
suddenly pushing the HD version of its Recepter radio. Just want to know
a little more because the www.hdradio.com site is pretty useless, pointing
to manufacturer sites that really don't have much.

Thanks!

I wonder after the "transition out of analog", after I pitched all my
obsolete radios including my 50 year old tube AM/FM Sears Silvertone, will
they make a digital crystal radio kit
John

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Karl Uppiano wrote:
[...]

With a little extra effort you could probably come up with an even less
practical suggestion. :-)

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bret Ludwig

What do you feel is so impractical about it?