Chief Jo

Default Echo Mia-MIDI with a Phono PreAmp or TerraTec DMX 6FIRE 24/96 With Software RIAA?

Jimmy:
For what it's worth, i use a santa cruz with a creek obh-8 i picked up for
$125 at a repair shop, along with an old technics turntable, grado
cartridge. ... with adobe audition/cool edit you can push the limits a bit
on the levels because it will fix the few clips clips you might get if you
redline a few times. ... after cleaning up clicks, pops, noise, etc., the
sound of old records actually improves to a surprising extent... if i were
you i'd spend my money on the phono stage first and hook it up to your cruz.
.... buy a different card later when you're ready to dust off your server.
-jo
"Jimmy The Clam" wrote in message
This discussion is messed up. I'm seeing questions out of timing order. A
server somewhere is not either displaying them right away or something is
delaying their appearence. All of Arny's replies just showed up now, but

not
at the end of the thread.

Mia

PP-2

These are also not the only ones out there either, they are just the

closest
to closing that I see. That's not terribly important right now and I don't
want to get into a posting match over the cost of tea in China.

Q: What are you currently using for a preamp to transcribe LPs?
A: Right now, nothing.

Arny, assuming an equilivant cost, what would you go with?
Echo Mia + PP-2?

OR

TerraTec DMX 6Fire with the software RIAA?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Jimmy The Clam wrote:
Thank you very much TonyP!
That is very helpful.
The trouble with all of this is trying to decide where to spend the
money where you notice the difference.

What are you currently using for a preamp to transcribe LPs?

TonyP

"Ian" wrote in message
Arny, please note the smiley in the PS. I _know_ the numbers I quoted were
bogus, because the SL7 shorts the cartridge outputs when the arm is up.

And because they provided two unrelated measurements. Then drew an erroneous
conclusion.

However, all the numbers you wanted are in the post. What part of
"-90dBVrms"
and "+20dBV" don't you follow?

The part that says you actually get +20 dBV out with ANY record?
Not that the soundcard could handle it anyway!

That gives a dynamic range of 90+20=110, with extra words
suggesting another couple of dB range was available.

No it doesn't, even if the 90 dB figure wasn't for input shorted.

BTW the sound card will probably blow up if you put +20dbV into it :-)

TonyP.