Sandman

Default Recommendations for Line Conditioners

In your opinions, which are the best line conditioners/voltage regulators on
the market today for audio and video?

S888Wheel

I have been quite happy with my equi=tech
Arny Krueger

"Sandman" wrote in message

In your opinions, which are the best line conditioners/voltage
regulators on the market today for audio and video?

First, is there a problem that they address?

Here is a tool that measures power usage and line quality:

http://www.smarthome.com/9034.html

Secondly, are the power supplies of your equipment so feeble that they can't
deal with the power you already have?

Marc Phillips

Jim said:

In your opinions, which are the best line conditioners/voltage regulators on
the market today for audio and video?

PS Audio, since they rentered the market a few years ago, seems to be making
the best-reviewed stuff these days. I'll also second Scott's recommendation of
Equi=Tech.

Boon
Joseph Oberlander

I like Tripplite's offerings, but they are a bit pricey.

Marc Phillips

Jim said:

Scott and Marc -

Thanks - I'm familiar with PS Audio, but where can I find Equi=Tech?

Check out their website:

www.equitech.com

I'm not sure of any local dealers, although they do sell directly from the
website. Since Scott owns one of their products, he could probably tell you
more.

Boon
Sandman

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I like Tripplite's offerings, but they are a bit pricey.

I currently own two Tripplites (one supporting the audio rack, one
supporting the video rack), but the one supporting the video rack is now on
the blink. Since I purchased them back in the early-mid 90's I thought
maybe it's time to upgrade instead of repairing the one that blew. I like
the fact that in addition to acting as a spike supressor and line noise
conditioner, they also act as AC voltage regulators and have 14 plug
receptacles. If there's a very sharp voltage spike or drop, they
automatically shut off, preventing damage to your equipment.

Curiously, shortly after I purchased them, Corey Greenberg, then writing for
Stereophile, reviewed a batch of power conditioners and gave the Tripplite a
terrible review, which was then challenged by Tripplite, getting Corey to
admit the review sample was seriously defective, but Corey never followed up
with a further review.

About a year ago I installed dedicated AC lines to my entire system, and
noticed I was getting much cleaner sound (particularly with the speakers
(Martin Logans) plugged directly into the wall sockets) but I have so many
components, there's no way to fit all the plugs into 4 wall sockets.

So I'm looking for something that preserves the cleanness, filters out any
remaining AC noise, regulates the voltage, and shuts off to protect the
components plugged into it in the event of drastic voltage spikes which can
harm the components.

I don't mind paying more for better conditioners - OTOH, I just may get the
one that quit repaired.

Sandman

Jim said:

Scott and Marc -

Thanks - I'm familiar with PS Audio, but where can I find Equi=Tech?

Check out their website:

www.equitech.com

I'm not sure of any local dealers, although they do sell directly from the
website. Since Scott owns one of their products, he could probably tell

you
more.

Boon

Thanks, Marc - will do.

Trevor Wilson

"Sandman" wrote in message
In your opinions, which are the best line conditioners/voltage regulators

on
the market today for audio and video?

**Ironically, the crappier the equipment, the more you need a line
conditioner. I did a test with a PS Audio recently. It made an immediate and
audible difference, when connected to an Audio Note power amp. When a high
end solid state amp was connected, no difference was perceivable with or
without the PS Audio.

Conclusion: Buy better equipment and ditch the line conditioner.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Sandman

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"Sandman" wrote in message
In your opinions, which are the best line conditioners/voltage

regulators
on
the market today for audio and video?

**Ironically, the crappier the equipment, the more you need a line
conditioner. I did a test with a PS Audio recently. It made an immediate

and
audible difference, when connected to an Audio Note power amp. When a high
end solid state amp was connected, no difference was perceivable with or
without the PS Audio.

Conclusion: Buy better equipment and ditch the line conditioner.

Thank you, Trevor. I'm not so much interested in impoving sound quality as
preserving it with my dedicated AC lines. Two things interest me: voltage
regulation and dramatic spike protection - e.g., when I lived in Sacramento,
during sever thunderstorms, the power lines outside often went erratic, and
voltage to the house spiked dramatically, and my Tripplites shut off,
protecting any components from potential damage.

Here in San Diego, the power outside seems a lot cleaner, so I'm not as
concerned about the latter, but the voltage regulation is useful - having a
steady voltage supplied to my components appears to preserve the life of the
components inside the components.

Trevor Wilson

"Sandman" wrote in message
[...]

**Fair enough. I was relating my experience with Australian mains supplies.
Here in Australia, it is much easier for energy suppliers to maintain a
quality 240VAC than for US suppliers to maintain a quality 117VAC. The PS
Audio devices are very impressive, albeit overkill, unless you are using
poor quality equipment. They do maintain a very precise Voltage output,
however. The nature of the PS Audio devices is such that variations are
impossible (except under fault conditions, of course).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au