Default Headphone amp opinions wanted please

I'm no audiophile but want a good sound. Is it worth paying for the
most expensive amp on this page
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...m/Category/257
or would I be just as well served with a cheaper one. Any ideas please
?

Thanks
PA

paul packer

On 16 Oct 2005 13:20:57 -0700, wrote:

I'm no audiophile but want a good sound. Is it worth paying for the
most expensive amp on this page
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...m/Category/257
or would I be just as well served with a cheaper one. Any ideas please

First of all, are you able to audition these amps on familiar material
at leisure? If not, there's no way you can know if the dearer ones are
worth the extra. I've been listening to my Sennheiser 595 through a
Marantz PM8200 integrated and greatly enjoying the sound. Recently I
invested (if that's the word!) in a CMoy HP amp off Ebay (about $60
US). The CMoy for the unitiated is a little project amp subject to
various mods and sold by various electronic nerds on Ebay, and usually
consists of a simple op amp, or pair, driven by a 9 volt battery, or
in my case from the mains. The sound? About comparable to the Marantz,
no better or worse. Of what use is this information to you? Probably
none, except to confirm that headphones only need a few milliwatts of
power and thus there's no real reason why a HP amp needs to cost a
fortune. Therefore I suggest you check arount the Net and find out
what users think of the Project Headbox Mk11, which seems to be very
keenly priced from Superfi. At this stage, sans audition, there's no
reason to suppose it sound worse than the dearest examples on the
page.

Here's a cautionary post from an enthusiast who's now poorer but
wiser:

"I use a Slee Solo 2004 headphone amp with Senn HD600 and Sony CD1700
cans. While the sound is undeniably good I don't feel that there is
much difference when listening through the headphone socket of my NAD
C350 amp.
Considering that the Solo cost £460 I certainly wish that I had spent
the money elsewhere. I feel it's the worst value for money piece of my
HiFi/AV kit.
I would advise anyone thinking of getting a headphone amp to audition
carefully before buying and not get carried away by reviews and
recommendations on forums. I guess the last bit applies to all kit
though."

Thanks for the advice. BTW I had come across the Slee Solo and
considered it. I'll try to audition a HeadBox.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm no audiophile but want a good sound. Is it worth paying for the
most expensive amp on this page
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...m/Category/257
or would I be just as well served with a cheaper one. Any ideas please

No, it is not. If you want to listen with a friend, buy the 2nd from the
bottom unit that has separate volume controls for the 2 headphones. If you
need only listen alone, buy the bottom one that sells for 75 quid. Of
course in this latter case you will do just as well by using the headphone
output on your receiver.

Norm Strong