Robert Morein

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
news:cOm2f.3102$jw6.2510@lakeread02...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

From
http://www.scescape.net/~woods/elements/ruthenium.html

"The metal is one of the most effective hardeners for
platinum and palladium, and is alloyed with these metals
to make electrical contacts for severe wear resistance."

The extreme hardness of these contacts means that since
perfect flatness cannot be achieved in relay contacts,
such contact is limted to a discrete number of points.

Would anyone care to guess how many points of contact can
exist between two nonflat surfaces that are not soft
enough to conform?

Irrelevant to the relay contacts used in the ABX RM2
comparator, because those contacts are not solid ruthenium.
Instead, the ruthenium is a thin plated layer desposited
over softer copper contacts.

Since the question is irrelevant, there is no logical
purpose in answering it.

Besides, its rhetorical. That would make two good reasons
not to answer it.

It is very important, because the actual surface area that is in
physical
contact is extremely small. This makes the bulk conductivity of
ruthenium
important.

Quantify the contact area and demonstrate through specs that
ruthenium contacts have significantly greater resistance than

relays
of
comparable size contacts. I look forward to you providing more

than
just
idle speculation from your extremely poorly thought out and

fundamentally
flawed theories.

ScottW

Answer the question, Scott: Two hard and nonparallel surfaces can

have a
maximum of how many contact points?

Why are you changing the question, Bob?

Anyway, it still depends on their shape.....and we're not talking
diamond hard here so your inference that there is no conformance is
just hogwash.

Sander has given the correct answer. You simply didn't have the smarts

figure it out.

Show us how spheres fall outside the set of shapes you specified. Show
us how spheres can have 3 points of contact.

and finally... show us why your assumption of perfect hardness is
valid.

ScottW

This has been covered in discussion with other people in these threads.

ScottW

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

[...]

So have you accepted the numerous flaws of your theory or are you still
grasping at straws?

ScottW

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

Prove it makes an audible difference.

Prove it doesn't.

Can't prove a negative.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't prove that there are not differences.

Never said it was possible, what is possible is demonstrating whethere or
not a given individual can hear them. If they can't then for that
person, they don't exist.

all you can say is that they don't exist under those certain test
conditions,
given that you have such test results for the given individual.

My bet is that the vast majority of people who claim differences in
sighted listening, which is the most unrelaible way to try and detect
subtle differences, can't hear any in a blind, level matched, comparison.

"If" that were the case, then you can say that they hear them sighted, but
don't hear them
under test conditions.

You could say that but it would be untrue,due to the fact that bias was not
removed and levels were not matched.

The really interesting thing to see would be this:
a) person hears differences sighted (According to you
supposedly from expectation effects)

Not mecessarily, they could be differences large enough to hear sighted, as
is the case with speakers

b) person does not hear differences during DBT tests
c) person is told of his negative test results (therefore removing
supposed future expectation effects)
d) person listens sighted again, now without expectation effects. Does he
still hear differences, or did they go away with
removal of the supposed expectation effects?

Unless there is level matching to within .1db I suspect any sighted test is
still not going to be relaible.

Fortunately we have someone who posts here freuently who knows much more
about the acceptability of such tests than I do. Arny, what say you?

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

.

It's not up to you. It's already been adopted by real audio professionals
the world over.

That should read "professional audio clowns".

That's right, anybody who knows more about it than you must be a clown.
BTW, I've been wondering why you've been seen with that big red nose and the
garish makeup.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
news

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

I do not give much concern to the incorporation of these
devices into hifi equipment.

Good idea because reed relays are common signal-handling
components in quality equipment for audio production for
decades. As I said before, the ruthenium plated reed relays
we used had been recently used by a widely-respected
manufacturer of studio mixing boards.

Morein's vendetta against reed relays is yet another example
of his lack of familiarity with audio production equipment,
and audio in general.

But Arny Krueger is pushing
his device like the NBS platinum meter.

This is nuts. I'm not pushing the ABC RM-2 relay module at
all. RM-2 has been out of production for what, 20 years?

However, no matter what Morein says - Stereophile never
published a review of the ABX RM-2 relay module.

Arny, permit me to clarify. I would love to have an ABX device.

Here's where you can get the schematic to build one of your own, use
parts
of whatever quality you chose.
http://sound.westhost.com/abx-tester.htm

Even if it
were one of yours, I would treat it as a treasured resource, unless it
obviously contradicted certain observations about amplifiers that have

the
same certainty of audibility as you have with speakers.

You reached conclusions about amplifiers that arouse in a number of us,
deep
suspicion. Even if someone was incapable of distinguishing the

difference
between a Pass single ended design and a Yamaha, it has little meaning

for
us. Speaking for myself, I acknowledge that there may be audible
equivalence
classes that transcend price and construction. Still, this is not the

same
as declaring an axiom. Speaking again for myself, it appears that

reliance
on current methods of measuring amplifier specifications produces the
appearance of technical equivalance, or "proper operation", while the
latter
is not a properly defined term. I know that you are convinced of this
through your studies of the audibility of harmonic and IM distortion,

but,
unfortunately, this contradicts the common experience of a great many
people. It does so even when one admits imagined differences. My small
club
of audio buddies only acknowledge differences in amplification when it
hits
us on our heads, just like speakers can and do.

You are, to me, a tantalizing paradox, because you are a very

intelligent
person who has succumbed to a personal need for definitive results.
Science
always benefits when the investigator is detached from the result. It
always
suffers from personal involvement. A good scientist serves the

principal,
not the end. Or, as Jobs says, "The journey is the reward."

I make a lot of noise about this, because the finer points of hifi are

on
the verge of extinction. The endeavor is not immune to your influence.

By
promoting the idea that quality of reproduction is no longer a concern
with
commercial offerings, you do a disservice to the consumer, who is

reliant
on
this very troubled industry.

A possibility to consider is that your ABX design is adequate to the

job,
yet, in your investigations, you made other errors. I have written in a
colorful style, to bring attention to the issue. Because you promote

your
device, or others like it as a standard,

It's not him doing the promoting, DBT IS the standard.

it requires scrutiny far above the
norm.

Which has been done by many of his peers and people more involved in
audio
research than Arny ever was. That is how it became one of the accepted
protocols.

But not for hifi, Mikey.

Yes Robert, even for hi-fi. Unless you don't consider Revel or a host of
others to be hi fi companies.

Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message

For line levels, for me, nothing else comes into
consideration but thoroughly gold-plated, gas filled
relays.

Wrong.

For speaker-level signals, a combination of both
silver-plated and gold-plated heavy duty contacts with
strong spring action (meaning contact pressure) are a
good choice (if one has to switch speaker-level signals
at all, something I don't like to do at all).

Wrong.

Switching an audio signal at microphone- or phono
cartridge levels is almost not possible without suffering
from signal degradation.

Wrong.

Keep up the good work, Sander!

Is this the difference between someone who has built and repaired many
amplifiers, and someone who just read about them? ;-)

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Ruud Broens

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
: "Arny Krueger" said:

: Wrong.Wrong.Wrong.
:
: Keep up the good work, Sander!
:
:
: Is this the difference between someone who has built and repaired many
: amplifiers, and someone who just read about them? ;-)
:
: --
Nah, it's the betatesting of the Kroologique module v5.3
it's principle is 'winning an argument'
by boring opponents to death :-)
R.

Arny Krueger

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message

Is this the difference between someone who has built and
repaired many amplifiers, and someone who just read about
them? ;-)

Since I've built and repaired a number of amplifiers, too
bad about your reading-only familiarity with them, Sander. I
had no idea.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

Nothing.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
news

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

.

It's not up to you. It's already been adopted by real audio

professionals
the world over.

That should read "professional audio clowns".

That's right, anybody who knows more about it than you must be a clown.
BTW, I've been wondering why you've been seen with that big red nose and

the
garish makeup.

Mikey, you have an inferior mind.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

Nothing you're capable of understanding.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
news

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

.

It's not up to you. It's already been adopted by real audio

professionals
the world over.

That should read "professional audio clowns".

That's right, anybody who knows more about it than you must be a clown.
BTW, I've been wondering why you've been seen with that big red nose and

the
garish makeup.

Mikey, you have an inferior mind.

Sit Bobbie, sit.

More Kibble?

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

IDIOT, that is EXACTLY why it "is" a true statement.

The really interesting thing to see would be this:
a) person hears differences sighted (According to you
supposedly from expectation effects)

Not mecessarily, they could be differences large enough to hear sighted,
as is the case with speakers

IDIOT, many people hear differences when sighted. You have even said this.
IT is one of the premises for your arguments to go blind.

b) person does not hear differences during DBT tests
c) person is told of his negative test results (therefore removing
supposed future expectation effects)
d) person listens sighted again, now without expectation effects. Does he
still hear differences, or did they go away with
removal of the supposed expectation effects?

Unless there is level matching to within .1db I suspect any sighted test
is still not going to be relaible.

Fortunately we have someone who posts here freuently who knows much more
about the acceptability of such tests than I do. Arny, what say you?

DIDN't come close to answering the question.
It appears that you are too stupid to understand it.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
news

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

.

It's not up to you. It's already been adopted by real audio
professionals the world over.

That should read "professional audio clowns".

That's right, anybody who knows more about it than you must be a clown.
BTW, I've been wondering why you've been seen with that big red nose and
the garish makeup.

My boyfriend lives in Talahassee. I must have been down there to visit him.

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

I guess we have that in common then.

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
news

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

.

It's not up to you. It's already been adopted by real audio
professionals the world over.

That should read "professional audio clowns".

That's right, anybody who knows more about it than you must be a clown.
BTW, I've been wondering why you've been seen with that big red nose and
the garish makeup.

My boyfriend lives in Talahassee. I must have been down there to visit
him.

And the gigantic red shoes?

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
news

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

.

It's not up to you. It's already been adopted by real audio
professionals the world over.

That should read "professional audio clowns".

That's right, anybody who knows more about it than you must be a clown.
BTW, I've been wondering why you've been seen with that big red nose and
the garish makeup.

My boyfriend lives in Talahassee. I must have been down there to visit
him.

And the gigantic red shoes?

Those were giant red slippers he was wearing. they had bells on the toes.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

Mikey, you are the village idiot. You can feel quite secure about the
position.

paul packer

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:58:16 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

DIDN't come close to answering the question.
It appears that you are too stupid to understand it.

I guess we have that in common then.

Mikey, you are the village idiot. You can feel quite secure about the
position.

Strange, my eye problem's still bothering me.....
Clyde Slick

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
link.net...

Mikey, you are the village idiot. You can feel quite secure about the
position.

"At least" until Howie returns.

Robert Morein

wrote:

DIDN't come close to answering the question.
It appears that you are too stupid to understand it.
I guess we have that in common then.

Mikey, you are the village idiot. You can feel quite secure about the
position.

Strange, my eye problem's still bothering me.....

It's a common problem with computers.
At least you don't have carpal tunnel syndrome

Arny Krueger

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in
message
link.net...

Mikey, you are the village idiot. You can feel quite
secure about the position.

"At least" until Howie returns.

If irony killed. Art Sackman or whatever name he's using
this week has to be one of the all-time bozos in RAO's rich
history of mental midgets.