Gil

Default pre-amp - no gain - help

Hello everybody,

http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/

I breadboarded this thing exactly like the schematic near the top of
the page. I tried several un-used J201s, and couldn't get a peep out
of it using an elec. guitar as an input. When I used a CD player for
an input I got a very faint response.

I notice common is called signal ground on the input and just ground
on the output. But the node is the same. Is this a clue or more
confusion?

Gil
Scott Dorsey

Gil wrote:
Hello everybody,

http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/

I breadboarded this thing exactly like the schematic near the top of
the page. I tried several un-used J201s, and couldn't get a peep out
of it using an elec. guitar as an input. When I used a CD player for
an input I got a very faint response.

What voltage are you seeing on the source and drain of the FET?
Knowing this will let you know if the FET is turned on at all or not.

I notice common is called signal ground on the input and just ground
on the output. But the node is the same. Is this a clue or more
confusion?

That should not be important.

You don't have the output connected to the +9V lead, though, do you?

Focusrite VoiceMaster Gain ... Eric Pro Audio 1 March 21st 04 03:40 PM
Gain stages Richard Chon Pro Audio 13 October 10th 03 01:02 PM
PA CONUNDRUM: AMP GAIN KNOBS vs MIXER GAIN SETTINGS Richard Kuschel Pro Audio 7 September 22nd 03 08:30 PM
FA : Brent Averill Neve 1272 mic preamp-2 ch w/PS MillerBud Pro Audio 13 July 24th 03 09:22 AM
What is a Distressor ? Rick Knepper Pro Audio 5 July 22nd 03 05:58 PM