Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] suckerton2@gmx.us is offline

Default Tube sound notes for Arny, Bret

"Tube/transistor "HYBRID" amplifiers

Tubes are often used to impart characteristics that many people find
audibly pleasant to solid state amplifiers, such as Musical Fidelity's
use of Nuvistors, tiny triode tubes, to control large bi-polar
transistors in their NuVista 300 power amp. In America, Moscode and
Studio Electric use this method, but use MOSFET transistors for power,
rather than bi-polar. Pathos, an Italian company, has developed an
entire line of hybrid amplifiers.

To demonstrate one aspect of this effect, one may use a light bulb in
the feedback loop of an infinite gain multiple feedback (IGMF)
circuit. The slow response of the light bulb's resistance (which
varies according to temperature) can thus be used to moderate the
sound and attain a tube-like "soft limiting" of the output, though
other aspects of "the tube sound" would not be duplicated in this
exercise."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Jenn:

"I once had a New York Audio Labs preamp and amp. Really nice sound.

"

But then it broke and no one else could fix it, right??

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article
outaudio.com,
"BretLudwig" wrote:

Jenn:

"I once had a New York Audio Labs preamp and amp. Really nice sound.

"

But then it broke and no one else could fix it, right??

Nope, worked fine. The power switch went bad, but I fixed that. Sold
it later when I needed money.