nitro

Default Tri-amp setup Peavey ht cabinets

Hi,
I need advice.
Im trying to set up a club system for live shows.
I want to get the most out of it, but I not familiar with the power
requirments.
Peavey 3-way Cabinets consist of 2 x 15's 2 x 12's and horns. I
think its 400w-4ohms
I would like to triamp 2 cabinets and 3 JBL monitors using a tascam
m2600 mixer
Any advice or recommendations concerning power amps or hookups
would be most appreiciated.

Roger W. Norman

I don't recall any current 2X15, 2X12 units other than about a 30 year old
1512s (big old boxy things I had in 1974), which could be triamped if you
were to do some work. Certainly I didn't see anything listed in the current
Peavey website with these speaker combinations. If you've got those old
things then I don't know what to tell you. Open them up, take direct feeds
to jacks on the back, run your mains out of the Tascam (why a 2600? it's
not a live board), run those outs into two active 3 way crossovers and those
outputs to individual amps which run to the 15s, the 12s and the horns.
Adjust the crossovers until you get a nice even sound from each speaker
through the crossover points and go with it. Maybe 900 watts for the 15s,
600 watts for the 12s and 400 watts for the horns, not pushing any of them
to that level by any means, which leaves plenty of headroom.

Also, go right the **** out now and buy an entire set of new drivers for
each cabinet because you're going to need them. If these are the same
cabinets I had for a few years, they did the job, but they are NOT high end
cabinets for clubs in terms of what's available today. You may even get
laughed out of the club.

Seriously, don't spend money on these cabinets. Put them up on ebay for
some kids to do their garage band thing with and save your bucks for
something decent. And the something decent wouldn't be Peaveys, ok.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681