Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Pioneer wiring loom colors

I need to decipher the colours (yes, UK) for my KEH-3800RDS unit wiring
loom. It seems they have changed since it was made, so recent manuals
on Pioneer website are of no help. This is what I have:

1 BLK
2 BLK/GRY
3 WH/RED
4 BLK/GRN
5 GRN/RED
6 ORANGE
7 GRN
8 GRN/BLK
9 GRY
10 GRY/BLK
11 RED
12 BLUE

Aerial

If you can help, thank you very much!

Juan

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

wrote:
I need to decipher the colours (yes, UK) for my KEH-3800RDS unit wiring
loom. It seems they have changed since it was made, so recent manuals
on Pioneer website are of no help. This is what I have:

1 BLK
2 BLK/GRY
3 WH/RED
4 BLK/GRN
5 GRN/RED
6 ORANGE
7 GRN
8 GRN/BLK
9 GRY
10 GRY/BLK
11 RED
12 BLUE

Well traditionally, black is ground, red is switched (accessory) power,
and orange is constant power. Blue would be the remote lead (to turn on
amps, power antenna, etc.)

Beyond that, I'd guess that your speaker outputs are paired based on the
main wire color, ie. GRN + GRN/BLK would be one pair, GRY + GRY/BLK
would be another (front left and right, if I were to really guess)...

Actually... it might be a similar setup to a couple old Alpine decks I
ran into years ago, where the front and rear outputs of each channel
share a common - One lead is front +, another is rear -, and the third
is a combined front -/rear +...

Uh okay, this gets more confusing the more I look at it. Here's a
thought: have you tried openening up the deck and seeing if there's any
wiring info on the inside of the case? It's rare, but I've seen it done.

Also have you tried actually contacting Pioneer? Might be a solly
question, but you'd be surprised how often people overlook the obvious

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-0, 04/08/2006
Tested on: 4/9/2006 1:17:38 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

Just a tad off there Matt. Standard wiring is that Orange is usually
part of the illumination or cell phone mute wires. Yellow is the
constant power. Let's see if I can give a breakdown of the "standard
colors":

1) Black Ground
2) Red 12V Ignition
3) Yellow 12V Constant
4) Orange Illumination

(Sometimes there's an extra orange for cell phone mute)

5) Blue Remote
6) Blue/White Power Antenna
7) White Front Left
8) White/Blk Front Left
9) Gray Rear Left
10) Gray/Blk Rear Left
11) Green Front Right
12) Green/Blk Front Right
13) Purple Rear Right
13) Purple/Blk Rear Right

Now to the OP's question. I looked at Pioneer Europe's site and he's
right, it doesn't match what he described. I'm kinda of wondering the
difference between BLK/GRY and GRY/BLK, or BLK/GRN and GRN/BLK. Seems
rather odd. I'm going to take a half-educated guess here, bearing in
mind that the Pioneers I've installed had standard wiring schemes:

1 BLK Front Left
2 BLK/GRY Front Left
3 WH/RED Ignition
4 BLK/GRN Rear Right
5 GRN/RED Rear Right
6 ORANGE Illumination
7 GRN Front Right
8 GRN/BLK Front Right
9 GRY Rear Left
10 GRY/BLK Rear Left
11 RED Power
12 BLUE Remote

And then just ground the unit to chassis by that back bolt.

Many times the power and ground wires are a larger gauge than the
others. You can see if that still meshes with what I stated if so.

Like I said, that's just a guess. You can try using a multimeter to
test. You sure that's from the Pioneer and not the factory HU?

Brandonb

Matt Ion wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Brandonb wrote:
Just a tad off there Matt. Standard wiring is that Orange is usually
part of the illumination or cell phone mute wires. Yellow is the
constant power. Let's see if I can give a breakdown of the "standard
colors":

1) Black Ground
2) Red 12V Ignition
3) Yellow 12V Constant
4) Orange Illumination

I was going there in the first place, then noticed that his list didn't
include a yellow...

(Sometimes there's an extra orange for cell phone mute)

5) Blue Remote
6) Blue/White Power Antenna
7) White Front Left
8) White/Blk Front Left
9) Gray Rear Left
10) Gray/Blk Rear Left
11) Green Front Right
12) Green/Blk Front Right
13) Purple Rear Right
13) Purple/Blk Rear Right

I was about to type out that whole list as well, but it didn't match the
OP's either.

[...]

I was thinking it might have a bi-level output setup like some old
Alpines I've seen, where you'd have something like

Blk/Gry - Front Left +
Blk - Front Left -/Rear Left +
Blk/Grn - Rear Left -

Or some other similar combinations, but that doesn't make sense either...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-0, 04/08/2006
Tested on: 4/9/2006 9:19:08 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to decipher the colours (yes, UK) for my KEH-3800RDS unit wiring
loom. It seems they have changed since it was made, so recent manuals
on Pioneer website are of no help. This is what I have:

1 BLK
2 BLK/GRY
3 WH/RED
4 BLK/GRN
5 GRN/RED
6 ORANGE
7 GRN
8 GRN/BLK
9 GRY
10 GRY/BLK
11 RED
12 BLUE

Aerial

If you can help, thank you very much!

Juan

older pioneers use this color code (1998 and older)

1 BLK -------- Ground (UK earth)
2 BLK/GRY ------ right rear -
3 WH/RED--should be grey/red---- right rear +
4 BLK/GRN -------- left rear -
5 GRN/RED --------left rear +
6 ORANGE ---- 12 volt constant (battery)
7 GRN ------ left front +
8 GRN/BLK ----Left front -
9 GRY--------- right front +
10 GRY/BLK-----right front -
11 RED----- 12volt accessory
12 BLUE ---antenna/amp remote

on the older pioneers, if there was a yellow wire, it was illumination

ac0j ac0j is offline
Junior Member

Location: Nebraska
Cool

1 BLK= chasis ground
2 BLK/GRY= right rear -
3 WH/RED= right rear +
4 BLK/GRN= left rear -
5 GRN/RED= rear left +
6 ORANGE= 12v constant
7 GRN= front left +
8 GRN/BLK= front left -
9 GRY= front right +
10 GRY/BLK= front right -
11 RED= swwitched 12v
12 BLUE= ant/remote turn on

I am sure this is correct, I am looking at the diagram in the manual of an old pioneer radio I have laying around! I am not sure if someone else saw it this way, but I didnt read all the replies!~

acØj