Mike Rivers

Default Ultra Sound, Inc / CMD, Inc. Mic Preamp

I was just given an 8-channel mic preamp identifed only by

ULTRA SOUND, INC / CMD, INC

It's a small production unit with nicely made circuit boards JT-16A
input transformers, unidentified output transformers. The guts of each
channel has an LF353, a TL071, and in the middle a square potted
discrete module (clear potting compund) identified, at least top and
sides (I can't see the bottom since they're soldered in place and I
haven't removed one yet) by the number "129" on the module board.

It requires an external power supply, probably just +/- 15 or so volts
plus phantom power. Easy to identify, I just haven't hooked one up
yet.

The case is one of those made from extruded aluminum pieces. This one
is obviously part (maybe half, maybe less) of a system since the front
panel sections are numbered 9-16. Controls for each channel are gain,
polarity, and phantom power.

Obviously there's at least one other of these. Anyone seen or have
one? Wasn't Ultra Sound (or was that Ultrasound?) one of the companies
that supported the Greatful Dead? I'm not dreaming that this is is a
valuable piece of history, just curious while I dig around for
something to power it up to see how it sounds or check the color of
the smoke.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
John Hardy

Mike;

I sold small quantities of 990 op-amps potted in clear-epoxy to
Ultrasound back in the early 1980s (I vaguely recall). They were
affiliated with the Grateful Dead, but I can't remember if it was "Ultra
Sound" or "Ultrasound".

The number "129" may be the three digit date code that I wrote on the
p.c. board of each module between the row of four pins and the edge of
the board, hand-written in black ink. The "1" represents 1981, and "29"
is the week of that year.

But the clear potted modules may not be my 990s at all. Just a
possibility. Thanks.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
www.johnhardyco.com
Jay Kadis

In article znr1087659066k@trad, (Mike Rivers) wrote:

[...]

I believe CMD (Concert Music Designs) was a company who later became IMS
(Integrated Media Systems) and then developed the Dyaxis recorder/editor. We
have a custom IMS 4 channel preamp that uses a +/- 15, +/- 24, +48 VDC external
power supply. The IMS preamp is a DC servo transformerless design and it sounds
great (except for channel 3 that doesn't sound at all...) No documentation,
alas. Ultrasound did a lot of custom speaker enclosure and studio rack
furniture work in addition to making whatever the Dead seemed to want at the
moment.

-Jay
x CCRMA, Stanford University x
http://www.offbeats.com/ x
x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x
hank alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

Jensen weighed in today with info that they sold transformers to Ultra
Sound in 1981, and they were indeed in "Dead" country. Still no
guarantee that these were built for the band, but the location and
time were right.

GD weren't/aren't Ultrasound's only client.

--
ha