Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Default mu follower distortion

I have been doing some tests on a mu follower based on an ECC88 (Morgan
Jones circuit) and I get the expected gain close to mu but the
distortion at 1KHz is 0.5% at +5dBV and 5% at +25dBV. Jones claims the
mu follower is low distortion because it minimises the effects of
changing ra. Are these numbers about right?

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"Ian Bell" wrote in message
I have been doing some tests on a mu follower based on an ECC88 (Morgan
Jones circuit) and I get the expected gain close to mu but the distortion
at 1KHz is 0.5% at +5dBV and 5% at +25dBV. Jones claims the mu follower is
low distortion because it minimises the effects of changing ra. Are these
numbers about right?

Hello Ian,

I have used the 6CG7 for my mu-follower projects.- It is said
to be the 9 pin equivalent of the 6SN7, a tube which I like very
much.

At 1kHz, I have measured 0.025% to 0.03% at +6dBV

Cheers
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Iain Churches wrote:
"Ian Bell" wrote in message
I have been doing some tests on a mu follower based on an ECC88 (Morgan
Jones circuit) and I get the expected gain close to mu but the distortion
at 1KHz is 0.5% at +5dBV and 5% at +25dBV. Jones claims the mu follower is
low distortion because it minimises the effects of changing ra. Are these
numbers about right?

Hello Ian,

I have used the 6CG7 for my mu-follower projects.- It is said
to be the 9 pin equivalent of the 6SN7, a tube which I like very
much.

At 1kHz, I have measured 0.025% to 0.03% at +6dBV

Interesting and more like what I would have expected. Can you post a
schematic??

Cheers

Ian

Cheers
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Bell wrote:

I have been doing some tests on a mu follower based on an ECC88 (Morgan
Jones circuit) and I get the expected gain close to mu but the
distortion at 1KHz is 0.5% at +5dBV and 5% at +25dBV. Jones claims the
mu follower is low distortion because it minimises the effects of
changing ra. Are these numbers about right?

Cheers

Ian

The distortion you get with triodes becomes lower as the load approaches
a CCS.

For lowest possible THD with ECC88 in µ-follower mode, try applying
fixed bias to the top triode follower via a 1M to say +150V.
Then have 5k R between top cathode and bottom triode anode which you
couple to the top grid via say 0.22uF.
Ia could be 7mA. B+ needs to be about +270V.

Suppose the load to the outside world is 50k from the top tube cathode,
then the top triode has internal gain = 28 approx so the 5k between the
triodes is seen by the bottom tube as about 28 x 5k = 140k in parallel
with 1M bias R.
So the gain of the bottom triode appraoches the triode µ of about 33,
and for 10Vrms output expect less than 0.3% THD.
You should be able to plug a 6CG7 in to replace the ECC88 and see the
THD drop even further.

Of course at 1Vo, expect 0.03%, and at 0.1Vo, expect 0.003%. Blimey, low
enough ain't it?
And all without any loop NFB!

The µ-follower is a nice circuit to use; high Z input, low Z output and
much lower THD than if you have a resistance load
on the bottom gain triode. If the bottom triode has Ea = +120V, then
there would be 150V from anode to B+ = 270V.
The load for 7mA would be 22k approx, which is only about 7 x Ra of the
triode at 7mA. When the load becomes 140k
as with the µ-follower, the load = 46 x Ra, and THD has become lower.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Bell wrote:

Iain Churches wrote:
"Ian Bell" wrote in message
I have been doing some tests on a mu follower based on an ECC88 (Morgan
Jones circuit) and I get the expected gain close to mu but the distortion
at 1KHz is 0.5% at +5dBV and 5% at +25dBV. Jones claims the mu follower is
low distortion because it minimises the effects of changing ra. Are these
numbers about right?

Hello Ian,

I have used the 6CG7 for my mu-follower projects.- It is said
to be the 9 pin equivalent of the 6SN7, a tube which I like very
much.

At 1kHz, I have measured 0.025% to 0.03% at +6dBV

Interesting and more like what I would have expected. Can you post a
schematic??

Cheers

Try a read of the preamp pages at my website.

For CCS loaded triode cap coupled to 100k volume control, and CF buffer
after volume pot see

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/preamp...+psu-2005.html

For µ-follower topologies that work see

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/preamp...ated-2006.html

Go to about 1/2 way down the page.

Patrick Turner.

Ian

Cheers
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

Ian Bell wrote:
I have been doing some tests on a mu follower based on an ECC88 (Morgan
Jones circuit) and I get the expected gain close to mu but the
distortion at 1KHz is 0.5% at +5dBV and 5% at +25dBV. Jones claims the
mu follower is low distortion because it minimises the effects of
changing ra. Are these numbers about right?

Cheers

Ian

The distortion you get with triodes becomes lower as the load approaches
a CCS.

For lowest possible THD with ECC88 in µ-follower mode, try applying
fixed bias to the top triode follower via a 1M to say +150V.
Then have 5k R between top cathode and bottom triode anode which you
couple to the top grid via say 0.22uF.
Ia could be 7mA. B+ needs to be about +270V.

Interesting, I'll try that. Does the fixed bias have any direct effect
on distortion i.e is it any better than self biassing the top triode?

Cheers

Ian

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Ian Bell wrote

I have been doing some tests on a mu follower based on an
ECC88 (Morgan Jones circuit) and I get the expected gain
close to mu but the distortion at 1KHz is 0.5% at +5dBV and
5% at +25dBV. Jones claims the mu follower is low
distortion because it minimises the effects of changing ra.
Are these numbers about right?

You measured.

Presumably considerably lower than one triode at the same
operating point and with the same HT supply but a resistor
load to suit. Using the second triode on top increases the
effective anode load, but is not particularly close to a
CCS, so mu is not followed perfectly. That, plus the extra
distortion arising from the top valve operating as a cathode
follower (you don't say what load it was driving when you
measured it), more or less, should account for what you have
measured.

For a version that measures better, try using a MOSFET on
top. Alan Kimmel seems to have taken down his site but his
stuff is still around, e.g.

http://www7.taosnet.com/f10/mustage.html

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian Bell wrote

I have been doing some tests on a mu follower based on an
ECC88 (Morgan Jones circuit) and I get the expected gain
close to mu but the distortion at 1KHz is 0.5% at +5dBV and
5% at +25dBV. Jones claims the mu follower is low
distortion because it minimises the effects of changing ra.
Are these numbers about right?

You measured.

I did.

Presumably considerably lower than one triode at the same
operating point and with the same HT supply but a resistor
load to suit. Using the second triode on top increases the
effective anode load, but is not particularly close to a
CCS, so mu is not followed perfectly.

Doesn't matter does it. Provided the dynamic plate load of the bottom
tube is ~ 50*ra you have pretty much reached the distortion minima.

That, plus the extra
distortion arising from the top valve operating as a cathode
follower (you don't say what load it was driving when you
measured it),

100K

more or less, should account for what you have
measured.

CF distortion should be negligible compared to the figures I am getting.

So are you saying a mu follower is not low distortion?

For a version that measures better, try using a MOSFET on
top. Alan Kimmel seems to have taken down his site but his
stuff is still around, e.g.

Seems to me the improvement would be marginal.

Cheers

Ian

http://www7.taosnet.com/f10/mustage.html

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Bell wrote:

I have been doing some tests on a mu follower based on
an ECC88 (Morgan Jones circuit) and I get the expected
gain close to mu but the distortion at 1KHz is 0.5% at
+5dBV and 5% at +25dBV. Jones claims the mu follower is
low distortion because it minimises the effects of
changing ra. Are these numbers about right?

You measured.

I did.

Presumably considerably lower than one triode at the same
operating point and with the same HT supply but a
resistor
load to suit. Using the second triode on top increases
the
effective anode load, but is not particularly close to a
CCS, so mu is not followed perfectly.

Doesn't matter does it. Provided the dynamic plate load of
the bottom tube is ~ 50*ra you have pretty much reached
the distortion minima.

Eh? What doesn't matter? To get the same operating point
with the same HT but a resistive anode load would mean using
a much lower load resistance than that effectively presented
by your mu-stage...perhaps 2-3 times ra.

Where does your 50 come from?

To return to your original question, you could obtain the
data sheet for an ECC88 and draw a horizontal load line
through your operating point on the anode characteristics
chart. That would allow a good estimate of what distortion
to expect. If your actual distortion is much different, then
you've made a mistake somewhere, or your ECC88 is
misbehaving.

That, plus the extra
distortion arising from the top valve operating as a
cathode
follower (you don't say what load it was driving when you
measured it),

100K

more or less, should account for what you have
measured.

CF distortion should be negligible compared to the figures
I am getting.

Assuming a sensible operating point, and now knowing the
driven load, then at 1kHz CF distortion would be numerically
small, yes.

So are you saying a mu follower is not low distortion

It's considerably lower than when the same valve is used at
the same operating point, with the same HT, and with a
resistive anode load, particularly when driving a low
impedance. If it follows mu, then it is as linear as mu is
constant. You might give some thought to how to pick a valve
and operating point that is likely to have the least mu
variation.

For a version that measures better, try using a MOSFET on
top. Alan Kimmel seems to have taken down his site but
his
stuff is still around, e.g.

http://www7.taosnet.com/f10/mustage.html

Seems to me the improvement would be marginal.

Depends on what you consider to be marginal. Perhaps it
would be worth listening.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:

[...]

Doesn't matter that it is not particularly close to a CCS. Provided the
mu stage achieves an effect Rl 50*ra.

To get the same operating point
with the same HT but a resistive anode load would mean using
a much lower load resistance than that effectively presented
by your mu-stage...perhaps 2-3 times ra.

Correct, I think we are just talking at cross purposes. I was just
saying that if the mu stage achieves and effective Rl 50*ra then the
distortion due to ra changes should be insignificant. I agree it should
be much better than a pure resistive load.

[...]

So, from your experience, are the distortion figures I am seeing
unusually high for a mu stage?

For a version that measures better, try using a MOSFET on
top. Alan Kimmel seems to have taken down his site but
his
stuff is still around, e.g.

http://www7.taosnet.com/f10/mustage.html

Seems to me the improvement would be marginal.

Depends on what you consider to be marginal. Perhaps it
would be worth listening.

Indeed, but at the moment I have 5% distortion at +25dBV!

|Cheers

Ian

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Ian Bell wrote:
[...]

The fixed bias R of 1M has negligible loading effect on the bottom gain
triode.

The larger the R between top cathode and bottom anode then the less
distortion you get because the load on the bottom triode becomes closer
to a CCS when THD is then a minimum.

You can have a self biasing Rk for the top tube same as the Rk for the
bottom tube. Between the top tube's rk and the bottom tube anode, you
can have the 5k, and bias the top grid with 1M from the junction of top
Rk and top of the 5k.
Then you have to couple the bottom anode to top grid with a cap.

But I prefer the fixed bias arrangement. With a regulated or well
filtered bias voltage, the output of the top cathode stays more stable
at dc, and you don't get a wandery output signal.

Patrick Turner.

Cheers

Ian

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Ian Bell wrote:

[...]

Hmm, usually when you measure a tube's distortion with a CCS load which
might be 500 times greater than Ra, the 2H is much less than what you'd
see with a line across a set of ancient plotted data curves which are
not very accurate. Think of the rudimentary gear used in 1955. All
tubed, and riddled with more distortion than what they may have been
measuring.

The curves are beautifully important guide, but that's about all, and to
really know you must get away from books and PC, build a circuit and
measure and tweak it until you get the lowest THD.

[...]

Just don't confuse the µ-follower with a SRPP where the 2H is supposed
to become lowest when equal changes in Ia for top
and bottom tubes occur for a particular load value and Rk used.

The µ-follower goes beyond the SRPP and uses a cathode follower to
provide a very high load to the gain tube and approaching CCS
when THD becomes minimal.

Patrick Turner.

For a version that measures better, try using a MOSFET on
top. Alan Kimmel seems to have taken down his site but
his
stuff is still around, e.g.

http://www7.taosnet.com/f10/mustage.html

Seems to me the improvement would be marginal.

Depends on what you consider to be marginal. Perhaps it
would be worth listening.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

Fair enough, Patrick, but the question was about whether the
measured distortion of an actual circuit is "about right".
It seems reasonable therefore to compare the actual results
with what theory might expect. An examination of published
valve characteristics should offer a workable approximation.
A glance at a 6DJ8 datasheet on screen suggests to me that
0.5% distortion is a pretty good result. It may possibly be
reduced for a particular signal level by messing with the
operating point of the bottom valve, but then it would
require frequent readjustment to follow the sweet spot as
the valve ages.

I don't measure distortion. I haven't got good enough
instruments and can't be bothered anyway. Seems too late by
then. I just check that my products are working properly as
designed, and listen. I don't make stuff to sell.

[...]

I wasn't confused. My mu-stages use MOSFETs on top, and I
hope they aren't into any of that push-pull hanky-panky. I
always forget what SRPP stands for...there's a little
cluster of acronyms applicable to totem-pole configurations
that are easily confused. I tend to remember the circuits
but not their names. But I'm OK with mu-stage.

The µ-follower goes beyond the SRPP and uses a cathode
follower to
provide a very high load to the gain tube and approaching
CCS
when THD becomes minimal.

When THD due to the bottom valve is minimised, yes. However,
it is possible that circuit THD of an SRPP stage could be
less, because of the active cancelation of some distortion
products. It could also be that the spectrum produced by an
SRPP stage would be more euphonic in the context of
particular preamp circuit. AFAIK ppl don't generally build
these variations in a search for minimum THD.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Ian Iveson wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

I have made a much more radical change. I redesigned the ECC88 mu
follower with an increased standing current of 5mA (up from Morgan Jones
1.34mA). The result is 1KHz distortion at 20V rms is 0.64% and at 2V rms
it is down to 0.054%.

I also built the Morgan Jones ECC88 cascode stage and also a version
with 5mA standing current and again the higher current version had lower
distortion.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[...]

Just wondering if it follows that the lower harmonic
distortion will contain a higher proportion of higher-order
harmonics. Some say it's the spectrum that counts.

Also to what extent we might be concerned about distortion
modulation. I know that artifacts are less noticeable if
they are of constant amplitude with respect to signal
ground, such as hum or hiss might be. Are they also less
noticeable if they are constant with respect to signal
amplitude and/or frequency? If one amplifier distorts at a
constant x% of 2H, y% of 3H, etc. and another distorts at
various proportions depending on amplitude and frequency of
input, then how would the difference sound with real music,
given the same aggregate THD and IMD, etc?

Not a new question, I know, and I think it just ends up
underlining the importance of listening...so complicated
it's best to trust your ears.

You also need to trust your speakers and your room.

At last I've managed to quell my screaming Slovak
neighbours.

I also built the Morgan Jones ECC88 cascode stage and also
a version with 5mA standing current and again the higher
current version had lower distortion.

Morgan is a bit quirky, and occasionally irrational. He
seems to believe that an ECC88 has only one sensible
operating point. All things considered, including his also
questionable belief in the convenience of 330V HT, he might
be right.

In general it may be worth making the point that increased
current can impinge on distortion in several ways. It may be
that the gain valve is more linear in that region of higher
current, but it could also be that it is less prone to
distortion induced by the following input. If the grid of
the follower is being overdriven, for example, then the
higher current driver, having a lower output impedance
especially at higher signal levels, will distort less in
response.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

From what you said initially, the THD seemed rather high.

It seems reasonable therefore to compare the actual results
with what theory might expect.

I faced the same questions when I started seriously mucking around with
tubes some 15 years ago after a temporary 30 year long break.

An examination of published
valve characteristics should offer a workable approximation.

Indeed, but don't expect accuracy with tiny little RCA tube manual
drawings.

A glance at a 6DJ8 datasheet on screen suggests to me that
0.5% distortion is a pretty good result. It may possibly be
reduced for a particular signal level by messing with the
operating point of the bottom valve, but then it would
require frequent readjustment to follow the sweet spot as
the valve ages.

I doubt the linearity changes much with ageing.

I've measured new tubes, and then measured them 5,000 hours later, and
they are basically the same if the emission is healthy and there isn't
any grid current.

I don't measure distortion. I haven't got good enough
instruments and can't be bothered anyway. Seems too late by
then. I just check that my products are working properly as
designed, and listen. I don't make stuff to sell.

After a life of building house extensions and then suffering some knee
troubles I had a vision to help people by providing some sound gear
worth owning and paying for. Building amps was easier than wrestling
with barrows of concrete and 2X4 timbers.

I wondered a lot about THD and the resulting IMD, and so I ended all
doubts in my mind by designing and building my own low THD oscillator
with less than 0.002% THD, and then building a distortion measuring unit
which could reliably display 0.002% THD in a 10Vrms signal on a CRO.
I became pretty design savvy before I had anyone to talk to online in
2000.
When you re-educate yourself, you have to make sacrifices. No personal
relationships, no family life, no TV watching ( because why watch other
people doing their lives when you could be doing yur own? ) no boozing
at the pub, no sport, no holidays, luxuries, no stupid vain expenses,
and so on and on, all the while working to learn, and to be
intellectually independant. If someone does not get into Groove Frugal,
then they just don't learn much very fast. Then you have to learn to
doubt all you observe including your own understanding unless you can
proove you are right.

0.002% in a 10Vrms signal = 100uV, or 1/10 of 1mV, a signal at -94dBV.
Its quite inaudible, BTW.

But with 50 frequencies present in an audio signal at the same instant,
the THD must measure low to get low IMD.
The THD itself isn't important in music because when one F is present,
so is its many harmonics, and when the amounts of harmonics are altered
quite a lot you won't change the sound much; a violin will still sound
just like a violin. But the IMD products generated are often not
musically related to all the harmonics in the music, and thus are like
small black spots on a white clean page; you only need a low level of
IMD and the music is stuffed.

It is my belief that the IMD created by class A SE triode stages in
preamps or in power amps is less objectionable than that produced in
solid state gear, even if the SS measures 40dB better.
It may seem like stoopid belief, but my customers' ears tend to support
my belief.

And nobody has yet explained why a 6CG7 made by Seimans in 1965 will
sound "better" than one made by Sovtek last year.
In a preamp both could easily measure less than 0.015% THD at the
maximum peak level of signal.

Is it subtle microphony causing more "artifacts" than THD&IMD? perhaps.
Is it some kind of dynamic IMD distortion than we are not fully aware
of? damned if I know. But one preamp triode will do sonically better
than an SS opamp with lots of devices and a loop of NFB.

To win prizes for the best wine at a wine show it takes more than
employing a good chemist.

One should have a virgin of 10 **** into the vat of crushed grapes at
midnight during a full moon.

Every vigneron knows this. Can't talk about it though.

[...]

With a mosfet "on top", it sounds like having a female body builder
performing difficult tasks according to the wishes and whims of a skinny
male "rooting her from below" :-)

They look like they are pushing and pulling, but they ain't. The wimp
does the message, and womp does the grunt.

The triode wimp makes the perfect undistorted message, and the source
output of the mosfet just slavishly follows.

BUT, and there is always a but, the mosfet usually works best with far
more dc than the triode, and the gm of the mosfet is low and noise high
when is Id is low. I've never seen the attraction of having mosfets in
µ-follower circuits.

Usually, having say 5mA through 2 seriesed ttriodes in a µ-folower is
just fine.

always forget what SRPP stands for...there's a little
cluster of acronyms applicable to totem-pole configurations
that are easily confused. I tend to remember the circuits
but not their names. But I'm OK with mu-stage.

µ-follower circuits were once always called bootstrapped followers.
It was a far more accurate name.

The µ-follower goes beyond the SRPP and uses a cathode
follower to
provide a very high load to the gain tube and approaching
CCS
when THD becomes minimal.

When THD due to the bottom valve is minimised, yes. However,
it is possible that circuit THD of an SRPP stage could be
less, because of the active cancelation of some distortion
products.

True, but you can't get full 2H cancelation in a SRPP.

And when you have conditions for best 2H cancelation, usually you may
have considerable 3H.

So although I beagn with SRPP, I soon realised µ-follower was "better"
imho.
Both sonically, and with measurements.

With 6SN7, well set up for µ-follower, expect 0.1% at 10Vo.
This is much better than with the usual 33k load with ia = 4mA.

It could also be that the spectrum produced by an
SRPP stage would be more euphonic in the context of
particular preamp circuit. AFAIK ppl don't generally build
these variations in a search for minimum THD.

I'm into music, not euphony.

Patrick Turner.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Bell wrote:

Ian Iveson wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

Now ya talkin'!!

Patrick Turner.

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian Bell wrote

[...]

I think there is quite a lot of evidence that that is true. I have seen
a fairly recent paper that used mathcad to emulate various transfer
functions through which audio was processed to produce output with
differing spectral content. These were then played to a panel of
listeners who were asked to comment on the 'quality' of the sound. The
results supported the view that the relative level of harmonics is
important and that higher order harmonics were deemed more
objectionable. This led to a means of weighting higher order harmonics
tp better reflect their effect on perceived quality which pretty much
supported similar work that I think was conducted back in the 50s.

Also to what extent we might be concerned about distortion
modulation. I know that artifacts are less noticeable if
they are of constant amplitude with respect to signal
ground, such as hum or hiss might be. Are they also less
noticeable if they are constant with respect to signal
amplitude and/or frequency? If one amplifier distorts at a
constant x% of 2H, y% of 3H, etc. and another distorts at
various proportions depending on amplitude and frequency of
input, then how would the difference sound with real music,
given the same aggregate THD and IMD, etc?

Good question but not one I think that has been tested.

Not a new question, I know, and I think it just ends up
underlining the importance of listening...so complicated
it's best to trust your ears.

Indeed.

You also need to trust your speakers and your room.

A factor too often overlooked.

At last I've managed to quell my screaming Slovak
neighbours.

I also built the Morgan Jones ECC88 cascode stage and also
a version with 5mA standing current and again the higher
current version had lower distortion.

Morgan is a bit quirky, and occasionally irrational. He
seems to believe that an ECC88 has only one sensible
operating point. All things considered, including his also
questionable belief in the convenience of 330V HT, he might
be right.

He does seem to be stuck at one operating point and keeps using the
phrase 'this puts it in a very linear region' or words to that effect
without further explanation.

In general it may be worth making the point that increased
current can impinge on distortion in several ways. It may be
that the gain valve is more linear in that region of higher
current, but it could also be that it is less prone to
distortion induced by the following input. If the grid of
the follower is being overdriven, for example, then the
higher current driver, having a lower output impedance
especially at higher signal levels, will distort less in
response.

Well, it is certainly true that at higher currents both mu and gm are
higher and ra is lower. If we agree with Jones that ra variations are
a/the principal cause of distortion in triodes then higher currents
ought to produce less distortion.

Ian

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

Ian Bell wrote:
Ian Iveson wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

One thing I forgot to add was that I tried the mu follower with both an
ECC88 and a 6N1P. Distortion was pretty much the same in both cases. One
interesting thing I did notice was that I was using ac heaters elevated
to 75V. Tweaking the hum bucking pot made sod all difference to the hum
at the output of the ECC88 version but the 6N1P version needed the pot
tweaked to one extreme to reduce the hum - don't think I has actually
reached the minima even then.

I wonder why the ECC88 is so little prone to heater hum? Could it be
some sort of cancellation effect - hum injected into the lower cathode
appears at the anode then gets injected into the top tube grid and
appears in ant-phase with the hum induced in the top tube cathode??? I
took care to use the recommended triode half for the top triode.

Any ideas?
Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

To win prizes for the best wine at a wine show it takes more than
employing a good chemist.

One should have a virgin of 10 **** into the vat of crushed grapes at
midnight during a full moon.

Every vigneron knows this. Can't talk about it though.

So what is the equivalent procedure in tube audio design?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[...]

I think it may follow from his assertion that the ECC88 was
designed for cascode operation. That would be in an early
stage of equipment powered by UK mains, perhaps. Once you've
dropped that once or twice to isolate stages and reduce hum,
you're left with 200V or so, at low current, for the cascode
stage. If the valve was made for such a circumstance, then
it is possible that it was optimised at Morgan's operating
point of around 90V, 1.3mA, and perhaps there should be a
particularly linear region round there somewhere.

Your observation is not obvious from a casual examination of
the anode characteristics. It is hard to judge by placing a
ruler across and moving it up and down, because of the
optical illusion caused by the changing gradients of the
grid lines.

If it's a general truth, it presumably follows from a simple
application of Child's Law? It should therefore show up
clearly in simulation using the simplest of models.

Ian

In general it may be worth making the point that
increased current can impinge on distortion in several
ways. It may be that the gain valve is more linear in
that region of higher current, but it could also be that
it is less prone to distortion induced by the following
input. If the grid of the follower is being overdriven,
for example, then the higher current driver, having a
lower output impedance especially at higher signal
levels, will distort less in response.

Well, it is certainly true that at higher currents both mu
and gm are higher and ra is lower. If we agree with Jones
that ra variations are a/the principal cause of distortion
in triodes then higher currents ought to produce less
distortion.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian Bell wrote

[...]

Possibly. ISTR the ECC88 was originally intended as a VHF cascode front
end for UK FM receivers and it may well be that its normal RF operating
point is the same as Jones uses. Whether that makes it also a good point
from the AF point of view is moot.

Cheers

Ian
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Bell wrote:

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian Bell wrote

[...]

Weighting is usally based on Nsquared/4, where N is the harmonic.

2H is the basis point.

So 3H gives you 9/4, so you only need 0.44% of 3H to cause music to
sound as bad as 1% of 2H.

5H gives you 24/4, 6.25, so you only need 0.16% of 5H to be as bad as 1%
of 2H and so on. 7H is particularly bad because it does not relate to
the musical scale. However. There is plenty of 7H in many tones produced
by instruments.
But luckily, not much in amplifiers.

Also to what extent we might be concerned about distortion
modulation. I know that artifacts are less noticeable if
they are of constant amplitude with respect to signal
ground, such as hum or hiss might be. Are they also less
noticeable if they are constant with respect to signal
amplitude and/or frequency? If one amplifier distorts at a
constant x% of 2H, y% of 3H, etc. and another distorts at
various proportions depending on amplitude and frequency of
input, then how would the difference sound with real music,
given the same aggregate THD and IMD, etc?

Good question but not one I think that has been tested.

"distortion modulation" ?? To me that's just IMD. If you watch the THD
being produced when you measure and amp, you can see the waveform
containing typical amounts of 2H and 3H, and sometimes they look like
they are being amplitude modulated by the fundemental tone.
That simply means IMD products are present.

All AM waves are the sum of the fundemental "carrier" and the sum and
difference F between the fundemental and modulating wave form.
When an amp with only 2H has a mild amount of loop NFB applied the 2H is
reduced but sum and difference F are produced, ie, more fundemental and
also 3H where none was present when no FB was applied. When the 2H is
about 10%, using 10dB of NFB won't make things sound any better.
But if you applied 40dB FB instead of 10dB, then you have much lower 2H
and the second order IMD products are also very low, but nevertheless
numerous in H spectra.

It doesn't matter though because when THD without NFB 1% at is is in
all good amps in normal listening, the second order IMD products are
usually very low indeed when mild NFB is used.

[...]

Its the variations in gm and Ra that count; µ is fairly constant.

If the load line is situated in the straighter portions of Ra curves,
there are only small variations in Ra and gm in the wave cycle
and hence distortion is lower than if you locate the load swinging each
side of an Ia that is too low.

But raising the RL value to say 20Ra at the low level of Ia makes
linearity become acceptable anyway. A CCS load shows linearity to be
quite good for low Ia in most triodes.

Patrick Turner.

Ian

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Ian Bell wrote:
Ian Iveson wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote

[...]

µ-follower is prone to hum, so *always* use dc for heaters. Retain the
biasing of the dc supply, and bypass it to 0V via 100uF.

Patrick Turner.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

John Byrns wrote:

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

To win prizes for the best wine at a wine show it takes more than
employing a good chemist.

One should have a virgin of 10 **** into the vat of crushed grapes at
midnight during a full moon.

Every vigneron knows this. Can't talk about it though.

So what is the equivalent procedure in tube audio design?

I hoid it on the grape vine that female heat must be applied to tubes
prior to obtaining the best music.

I leave you to consider how this may be achieved.

Patrick Turner.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Nov 22, 11:40*am, Patrick Turner wrote:

But raising the RL value to say 20Ra at the low level of Ia makes
linearity become acceptable anyway. A CCS load shows linearity to be
quite good for low Ia in most triodes.

Patrick Turner.

Ha! Back in the day when I was interested in pre-amps, I sent one of
my mentors a design with some inoffensive pre-amp tube loaded about
100x Rp in response to him wanting me to operate it about 90V because
that was what they did back before the War, rather than at at the
300V, its max rating, which was my natural inclination. "You'll get
nothing out," he said on the phone, so disturbed that he called rather
than writing to me (by post, not e-mail). "Ah, yes," I said, "but it
is a wonderfully silent nothing."

20Ra? You're such a piker, Patrick. Let loose the dogs of war and live
a little!

*****
I suppose someone has already referred Ian to Steve Bench's page of
schematics and a table for getting pre-amp tube noise right down. I
haven't been there for a few years but I seem to recall that Steve
compared the SRPP and various other topologies and outright tricks,
using 6SN7 and 6SL7 and 417A, God's own faves. Steve's table was my
inspiration until I decided to work solely with the 417A, the best pre-
amp tube ever made.

Steve also shows how you can use a ground lift to get a tube, or a
stack of tubes, up into a linear region out of grid current even with
big signal swings, a twist that is so useful and so cheap, it is
surprising it isn't seen more often.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Your signature block is ancient and ho-hum history, mate.

What have you accomplished during the last 10 years, except for pathological
self-promotion?

Just curious . . . .

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 23, 4:55*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
Your signature block is ancient and ho-hum history, mate.

The last refuge of the nobody, calling his betters "hasbeens". We've
seen it all before, sonny. The office cleaner Frank Deutschmann loved
calling me a hasbeen. You should ask your bumbuddy Michael LeFevre of
Magnequest what happened to little Frankie when I got bored with him.

What have you accomplished during the last 10 years, except for pathological
self-promotion?

Good golly, has it been that long since I mastered electronics? High
time to get a new hobby, even if only to give slimy vermin like Jon
Yaeger a miss.

Just curious . . . .

All the answers you want are on my site, Mr Curious.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps athttp://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

I do respect someone like yourself . . . with such a glaring personality
disorder . . . much as I respect a skunk that crosses my path.

I don't know what you did to Frank, but I'm certainly aware of what nasty
stuff you tried to pull on Henry, with the Italian sockpuppet.

I'm comfortable being a garage vermin, compared to your treasure trove of
psychopathology.

Jon

in article
, Andre
Jute at
wrote on 11/23/08 12:29 PM:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Andre Jute wrote:
On Nov 23, 4:55 pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
Your signature block is ancient and ho-hum history, mate.

The last refuge of the nobody, calling his betters "hasbeens". We've
seen it all before, sonny. The office cleaner Frank Deutschmann loved
calling me a hasbeen. You should ask your bumbuddy Michael LeFevre of
Magnequest what happened to little Frankie when I got bored with him.

Andre, I am unable to find Steve Bench's web site. All I can find is a
message from AOL that it was shut down last month.

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Andre Jute wrote:

On Nov 23, 4:55*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
Your signature block is ancient and ho-hum history, mate.

The last refuge of the nobody, calling his betters "hasbeens". We've
seen it all before, sonny. The office cleaner Frank Deutschmann loved
calling me a hasbeen. You should ask your bumbuddy Michael LeFevre of
Magnequest what happened to little Frankie when I got bored with him.

Whatever did become of "Frankie", where is he today? Unlike most of the rest of
the "gang" he seems to have completely disappeared from the face of the earth, I
hope you didn't encourage any unsavory types to fashion a set of concrete
galoshes for him?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Paul Babiak Paul Babiak is offline

Ian Bell wrote:

snip

Andre, I am unable to find Steve Bench's web site. All I can find is a
message from AOL that it was shut down last month.

Cheers

Ian

here's the new URL of steve's site: http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench101/
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default Oh the irony

Jutey-kins,

Surely I am not the only one who noticed the irony and hypocrisy of you
calling me to task for a bit of "self-promotion", am I?

Garage vermin / trader / whatever

in article , Jon Yaeger at

wrote on 11/23/08 12:29 PM:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Paul Babiak wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:

snip

Andre, I am unable to find Steve Bench's web site. All I can find is a
message from AOL that it was shut down last month.

Cheers

Ian

here's the new URL of steve's site: http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench101/

Thanks Paul. I notice it has not been updated since 2004. Is that correct?

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Nov 23, 9:45*pm, Ian Bell wrote:
Paul Babiak wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:

snip

Andre, I am unable to find Steve Bench's web site. All I can find is a
message from AOL that it was shut down last month.

Cheers

Ian

here's the new URL of steve's site: http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench101/

Thanks Paul. I notice it has not been updated since 2004. Is that correct?

Eh? What does it matter when Steve last updated his site? He doesn't
owe us a thing. Good information is good information forever. The RDH
was first conceived about the time of the Great Crash -- no, not last
week's.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Nov 23, 7:04*pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
*Andre Jute wrote:

On Nov 23, 4:55*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
Your signature block is ancient and ho-hum history, mate.

The last refuge of the nobody, calling his betters "hasbeens". We've
seen it all before, sonny. The office cleaner Frank Deutschmann loved
calling me a hasbeen. You should ask your bumbuddy Michael LeFevre of
Magnequest what happened to little Frankie when I got bored with him.

Whatever did become of "Frankie", where is he today? *Unlike most of the rest of
the "gang" he seems to have completely disappeared from the face of the earth, I
hope you didn't encourage any unsavory types to fashion a set of concrete
galoshes for him?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, *http://fmamradios.com/

Ha! At one of my grad schools I sat next to a fellow with an Italian
name who took me home. His father sat me down in his study and said,
"Unless your intentions are honourable, if you touch my daughters I'll
bury you in an oil drum in the East River." But no, I didn't need
their help to take care of Franki -- he was such an arsehole, he did
most of the work himself; it took me less than ten minutes at the
strategic moment to pull the rug from under Deutschmann's hooves
forever, as witness the fact that we haven't heard even a squeak from
him in a whole lotta years.

Andre Jute
Zero tolerance for scum
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Andre Jute wrote:
On Nov 23, 9:45 pm, Ian Bell wrote:
Paul Babiak wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:
snip
Andre, I am unable to find Steve Bench's web site. All I can find is a
message from AOL that it was shut down last month.
Cheers
Ian
here's the new URL of steve's site: http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench101/

Thanks Paul. I notice it has not been updated since 2004. Is that correct?

Eh? What does it matter when Steve last updated his site? He doesn't
owe us a thing. Good information is good information forever. The RDH
was first conceived about the time of the Great Crash -- no, not last
week's.

Of course it does not matter. I merely wanted to be sure I had the right
site.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Paul Babiak Paul Babiak is offline

Ian Bell wrote:
Paul Babiak wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:

snip

Andre, I am unable to find Steve Bench's web site. All I can find is a
message from AOL that it was shut down last month.

Cheers

Ian

here's the new URL of steve's site:
http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench101/

Thanks Paul. I notice it has not been updated since 2004. Is that correct?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

I dunno about the latest update - just passing on some info from the
joelist. I'm just glad the info hasn't been lost.

Paul
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Well, depends a bit on the triode concerned, and where its used. With
6DJ8, Ea = 90V is about right if you want to run Ia at say 8mA to
operate the tube where Ra becomes close to the data specs of 2.6k. Ea =
300V? Gee, that's absurd for nearly all signal preamp and driver triodes
in anything, but ideal for a 6BQ5/6AR5 strapped as a triode for driving
output tubes.

I often run RL = far higher than 20Ra because I sometimes use a choke +
R as the dc carrying load,
thus leaving the cap coupled load to be driven as the dominant load.

Or I'll have a CCS dc supply, same deal.....

You don't see the trees where my dogs **** old son.

*****
I suppose someone has already referred Ian to Steve Bench's page of
schematics and a table for getting pre-amp tube noise right down. I
haven't been there for a few years but I seem to recall that Steve
compared the SRPP and various other topologies and outright tricks,
using 6SN7 and 6SL7 and 417A, God's own faves. Steve's table was my
inspiration until I decided to work solely with the 417A, the best pre-
amp tube ever made.

Steve also shows how you can use a ground lift to get a tube, or a
stack of tubes, up into a linear region out of grid current even with
big signal swings, a twist that is so useful and so cheap, it is
surprising it isn't seen more often.

The noise is a bit a matter of luck with many triodes.

And supposedly dependant on the gm, so the higher the gm is with the
Iadc, the lower the noise.

One has to try things, but for MC amp and low input noise, the highish
gm of a suitable j-fet costing $1.20 usually beats any triode you care
to point a stick at.

Patrick Turner.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 27, 10:15*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

It may be absurd for those designers who automatically reach for the
little economy 9-pins, but I already has the good sense to reach only
for the indestructible octals, 6SN7 and 6SL7. The only ninepin worth
having is 417A (though a 12AT7 come close to the precision of a 6SN7.

but ideal for a 6BQ5/6AR5 strapped as a triode for driving
output tubes.

Run 'em high and run 'em hot, and sweetness follows, as everyone knows
with the slightest acquaintance with the folk wisdow of separating
honey from earwax. These days I have come to understand that anything
bigger than a KT66 *needs* a power tube as a driver.

I often run RL = far higher than 20Ra because I sometimes use a choke +
R as the dc carrying load,
thus leaving the cap coupled load to be driven as the dominant load.

Or I'll have a CCS dc supply, same deal.....

You don't see the trees where my dogs **** old son.

You're getting old if your dogs have bigger constant current streams
than you.

*****
I suppose someone has already referred Ian to Steve Bench's page of
schematics and a table for getting pre-amp tube noise right down. I
haven't been there for a few years but I seem to recall that Steve
compared the SRPP and various other topologies and outright tricks,
using 6SN7 and 6SL7 and 417A, God's own faves. Steve's table was my
inspiration until I decided to work solely with the 417A, the best pre-
amp tube ever made.

Steve also shows how you can use a ground lift to get a tube, or a
stack of tubes, up into a linear region out of grid current even with
big signal swings, a twist that is so useful and so cheap, it is
surprising it isn't seen more often.

The noise is a bit a matter of luck with many triodes.

You do give yourself a headstart though by choosing a triode,
especially in ZNFB designs; after choosing the triode it is only a
matter of determinedly finding its sweet spot, which will usually
translate to all topologies suitable for that tube. Here's a tip for
newbies, if any of them still come to this rat****ery: start near
maximum spec sheet dissipation and work your way down; tubes are a lot
sturdier than they might look.

And supposedly dependant on the gm, so the higher the gm is with the
Iadc, the lower the noise.

It's what makes the 417A so good.

One has to try things, but for MC amp and low input noise, the highish
gm of a suitable j-fet costing $1.20 usually beats any triode you care
to point a stick at.

I'm decades past MC amps; I've used CD exclusively for so long now, I
can hardly remember the frustration of those round shellac artifacts
of an ancient civilization.

Cathode Follower west Vacuum Tubes 24 November 13th 04 12:59 AM
Need Help For Cathode Follower! Wing Vacuum Tubes 1 February 25th 04 01:08 PM
Cathode follower thoughts... Henry007 Vacuum Tubes 2 February 18th 04 02:03 PM
Cathode Follower west Vacuum Tubes 11 December 15th 03 10:00 AM
Alternative to source or emitter follower Børge Strand Vacuum Tubes 4 November 26th 03 01:15 AM