Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.
2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.
3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.
4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.
5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.
Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC

I think the objectivist position is not that CDs are perfect, but that they
are uniformly good.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

MC wrote:
I think the objectivist position is not that CDs are perfect, but that they
are uniformly good.

Or rather, capable of more objectively *accurate* reproduction of the source,
than LP.

--
-S
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison (1788)
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:
Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

No. They are audibly transparent transfers of the "master tapes" (by
which I mean, the very last stage of processing) used to make
them--assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

OK, assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

No, because the phrase "a more accurate representation of the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions" has no meaning here. The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like. If it
doesn't, then they screwed up.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

LPs are never more accurate to the master tape. But "accurate to . .
the original sound of a live recording" has no meaning here. There are
an infinite number of "sounds of a live recording."

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

No. They are simply preferences.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

No. They are audibly transparent transfers of the "master tapes" (by
which I mean, the very last stage of processing) used to make
them--assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

OK. i meant the same thing by signal. but if you wish to refer to the
master tape that is fine. so you agree with that statement so long as
we refer to the master tape itslef rather than the signal. Fine with
me.

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

OK, assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

Which begs the question how many commercial CDs are out there that
suffer from
" manufacturing screw-ups or other incompetence?" So what say you on
this question? Common problem, rare problem not a problem?

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

No, because the phrase "a more accurate representation of the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions" has no meaning here.

Sure it does. It means exacty what it says. Are you suggesting that the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions were and are a nonexistant
entity? I think it's hard to argue that they never had any intentions
as to how their releases will sound.

The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like.

They don't put out "recordings" they put out CDs and LPs of recordings.
So the statement that there intentions are to put out "recording that
sounds lik what the recording sounds like" has no meaning in this
context.

If it
doesn't,

If what doesn't? The CD the LP?

then they screwed up.

Who screwed up?

So intentions aside would you agree with the first part of #3
Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate
sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

LPs are never more accurate to the master tape. But "accurate to . .
the original sound of a live recording" has no meaning here.

My bad. I sould have said *the* original sound of *the* live event
that was recorded.

"There are
an infinite number of "sounds of a live recording."

I'm not going to nit pick hyperbole.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

No. They are simply preferences.

I know that preferences are preferences. The question I ask is do you
believe those preferences are more commonly the result of biases rather
than actual sound?
Thank you for your response.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:
bob wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Check.

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

OK, assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

Which begs the question how many commercial CDs are out there that
suffer from
" manufacturing screw-ups or other incompetence?" So what say you on
this question? Common problem, rare problem not a problem?

Outside my area of expertise. I suspect bad choices at the
mixing/mastering stage are far more common, however.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

No, because the phrase "a more accurate representation of the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions" has no meaning here.

Sure it does. It means exacty what it says. Are you suggesting that the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions were and are a nonexistant
entity? I think it's hard to argue that they never had any intentions
as to how their releases will sound.

But you're using code words that often mean something very different.
The "artists' intentions" often refers to the choices they make in
their musical performance, rather than the choices they (or the
engineers they entrust with the task) make at the mixing/mastering
stage.

The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like.

They don't put out "recordings" they put out CDs and LPs of recordings.
So the statement that there intentions are to put out "recording that
sounds lik what the recording sounds like" has no meaning in this
context.

What I had in mind was the idea that the "artists/producer/engineer's
intentions" are whatever's on the master tape. Then we can ask which
medium more accurately reproduces that.

If it
doesn't,

If what doesn't? The CD the LP?

then they screwed up.

Who screwed up?

So intentions aside would you agree with the first part of #3
Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate
sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig.

I'd put it this way: If we have a common 15ips analog "master tape," a
CD made from that tape will sound closer to the tape than an LP made
from that tape. Part of the reason for that, however, is that in order
to make an LP you do have to do some further tweaking first.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

LPs are never more accurate to the master tape. But "accurate to . .
the original sound of a live recording" has no meaning here.

My bad. I sould have said *the* original sound of *the* live event
that was recorded.

That's what I thought you meant. But which original sound? The sound at
the point where the mike(s) are, or at some other point in the room?
What if the mikes are more than 6 inches apart? Then they are picking
up a "sound" that no human being could possibly hear.

"There are
an infinite number of "sounds of a live recording."

I'm not going to nit pick hyperbole.

This may be unnecessary nitpicking. I was just laying the basis for an
objection to an argument I suspect you'll make at some point. But we
can put this aside for now.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

No. They are simply preferences.

I know that preferences are preferences. The question I ask is do you
believe those preferences are more commonly the result of biases rather
than actual sound?

Like Stewart, I suspect there's a combination of factors, and trying to
disaggregate and assign weights to them seems rather pointless. That's
why I said they are simply preferences.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

No, because the phrase "a more accurate representation of the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions" has no meaning here.

Sure it does. It means exacty what it says. Are you suggesting that the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions were and are a nonexistant
entity? I think it's hard to argue that they never had any intentions
as to how their releases will sound.

But you're using code words that often mean something very different.

No. there is nothing ambiguous about the word "intentions."

The "artists' intentions" often refers to the choices they make in
their musical performance, rather than the choices they (or the
engineers they entrust with the task) make at the mixing/mastering
stage.

But we aren't talking about that we are talking about sound. We are
talking about which one would the artists/producer/engineers say 'yeah
that one sounds more like what we were trying to do than that other
one." There is no trickery going on here.

The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like.

They don't put out "recordings" they put out CDs and LPs of recordings.
So the statement that there intentions are to put out "recording that
sounds lik what the recording sounds like" has no meaning in this
context.

What I had in mind was the idea that the "artists/producer/engineer's
intentions" are whatever's on the master tape. Then we can ask which
medium more accurately reproduces that.

That question was addressed seperately. If you don't feel comfortable
saying that commerical CDs that have not ben tampered with by the
mastering engineer are a better epresentation than the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions then feel free to say so. You
can say yes, no sometimes yes somethims no, or I don't really know or
have an opinion. I just want to get an understanding of what *you*
believe.

If it
doesn't,

If what doesn't? The CD the LP?

then they screwed up.

Who screwed up?

So intentions aside would you agree with the first part of #3
Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate
sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig.

I'd put it this way: If we have a common 15ips analog "master tape," a
CD made from that tape will sound closer to the tape than an LP made
from that tape. Part of the reason for that, however, is that in order
to make an LP you do have to do some further tweaking first.

OK that clarifies your belief. thank you.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

LPs are never more accurate to the master tape. But "accurate to . .
the original sound of a live recording" has no meaning here.

My bad. I sould have said *the* original sound of *the* live event
that was recorded.

That's what I thought you meant. But which original sound? The sound at
the point where the mike(s) are, or at some other point in the room?
What if the mikes are more than 6 inches apart? Then they are picking
up a "sound" that no human being could possibly hear.

True but a recording engineer does step into the room and listen and
then goes back and listens to the monitors. so I would say from the
reference perspective of the recording engineers.

"There are
an infinite number of "sounds of a live recording."

I'm not going to nit pick hyperbole.

This may be unnecessary nitpicking. I was just laying the basis for an
objection to an argument I suspect you'll make at some point. But we
can put this aside for now.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

No. They are simply preferences.

I know that preferences are preferences. The question I ask is do you
believe those preferences are more commonly the result of biases rather
than actual sound?

Like Stewart, I suspect there's a combination of factors, and trying to
disaggregate and assign weights to them seems rather pointless. That's
why I said they are simply preferences.

OK so you offer no opinion on the source of vinyl enthusiasts'
preference. Fair enough and thanks for your clarifications.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:
bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
[...]

Google phrases like "musicians' intentions" on audio sites and you will
see plenty of ambiguity--all from the subjectivist side, of course. If
you mean something specific by it, you are going to have to tell us
what that is.

The "artists' intentions" often refers to the choices they make in
their musical performance, rather than the choices they (or the
engineers they entrust with the task) make at the mixing/mastering
stage.

But we aren't talking about that we are talking about sound. We are
talking about which one would the artists/producer/engineers say 'yeah
that one sounds more like what we were trying to do than that other
one." There is no trickery going on here.

Well, that's what I'm talking about. Glad to hear it's what you're
talking about, too. So we can agree that the master tape represents the
true intentions of the artists/producer/engineers, right? And the only
remaining question is, which medium better preserves the sound of that
master tape.

The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like.

They don't put out "recordings" they put out CDs and LPs of recordings.
So the statement that there intentions are to put out "recording that
sounds lik what the recording sounds like" has no meaning in this
context.

What I had in mind was the idea that the "artists/producer/engineer's
intentions" are whatever's on the master tape. Then we can ask which
medium more accurately reproduces that.

That question was addressed seperately.

I hadn't seen you address it previously. If you agree with it, say so.
If not, explain.

If you don't feel comfortable
saying that commerical CDs that have not ben tampered with by the
mastering engineer are a better epresentation than the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions then feel free to say so. You
can say yes, no sometimes yes somethims no, or I don't really know or
have an opinion. I just want to get an understanding of what *you*
believe.

I believe that the master tape represents the intentions of its
producers, and that CD better preserves the sound of that master tape
than LP. What more do you want?

[...]

"Reference perspective" is an oxymoron. A personal perspective cannot
be a reference, because it isn't fixed. What we heard yesterday and
what we now think we heard yesterday are two different things. (That
aside, do you not care what the performers themselves think?) The only
clear indication we have of anyone's perspective is what winds up on
that master tape.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.

Just one.

Some people prefer beer to burgundy, some people prefer rye to Napoleon
brandy, and some people prefer Twinkies to mousse. Without reference to
which is which, the attempt to disguse what amount to simple
preferences within a bunch of folderol and fancy labels is akin to
elevating preference to some sort of deeply meaningful and important
issue of "right" and "wrong".

Actually, it is of no more significance than the difference between
Cherry-Vanilla and Rocky Road. One picks what one likes.... without the
need to preclude enjoyment of other flavors as well.

If the choice of one flavor excludes all others, it is no longer a
preference but a religion. And religion cannot be discussed with any
meaning amongst non-aligned true-believers. War, sure. Discussion...
not hardly.

Are you a Big Ender or a Little Ender?

(and I have written all of this before)

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

There have been a few changes, such as anti-aliasing filters, but
essentially that is true AFAIK.

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

Again, essentially true.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

I doubt that you can find such a thing as a recording that has not been
tweaked. but the end result with a CD is that what is on the master
tape is what is on the CD.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

There seems to be evidence for this idea. It is impossible for
anything to be more accurate than the master tape or the original
recording and I'd be surprised if anybody claiming to be any kind of
objectivist ever said otherwise.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

What else might it be?

Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.

Let us know if you will ever concede that LP is iherently inferior to
CD.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

I doubt that you can find such a thing as a recording that has not been
tweaked. but the end result with a CD is that what is on the master
tape is what is on the CD.

Well, the digital master derived from an analog master tape
can actually end up being rather different from
the original master, if it has been tweaked during remastering.
I doubt today's crop of highly compressed, low-dynamic-range
remasters sound the same as their original master tapes.

To the extent a remaster has been 'tweaked' it represents some
remastering engineer's or producer's idea of how the recording
*should* sound. This might be with reference to an LP, or
to modern fads (e.g. louder than loud), or to the engineer's
personal conception of 'good sound'. They may justify this
by saying they are only 'trying to be faithful to the master'
but that's a bit of malarkey unless the master's actually
*damaged*.

Let us know if you will ever concede that LP is iherently inferior to
CD.

Depending on how terms are defined, that may not be
necessary, or could even be wrong. If part of what gives you pleasure
about LP is the process of using a turntable, a CD will never be
superior.

--
-S
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison (1788)
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Steven Sullivan wrote:

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

I doubt that you can find such a thing as a recording that has not been
tweaked. but the end result with a CD is that what is on the master
tape is what is on the CD.

Well, the digital master derived from an analog master tape
can actually end up being rather different from
the original master, if it has been tweaked during remastering.
I doubt today's crop of highly compressed, low-dynamic-range
remasters sound the same as their original master tapes.

If it's remastered and tweaked, then we now have a new master that is
used to make CD's from and the CD will be an exact clone of that
master. Given the limitations of LP such an outcome is almost
impossible unless the album being made is very short. Assuming no
changes to the master to make an LP that would be 15 minutes or less
per side, you still have something that is a generation removed from
the master. You also have the added noise from the stylus tracking the
grooves.

To the extent a remaster has been 'tweaked' it represents some
remastering engineer's or producer's idea of how the recording
*should* sound. This might be with reference to an LP, or
to modern fads (e.g. louder than loud), or to the engineer's
personal conception of 'good sound'.

Which is true for either LP or CD.

They may justify this
by saying they are only 'trying to be faithful to the master'
but that's a bit of malarkey unless the master's actually
*damaged*.

Let us know if you will ever concede that LP is iherently inferior to
CD.

Depending on how terms are defined, that may not be
necessary, or could even be wrong.

I don't see how something that is at least one generation away from the
source, unless it's a D2D can ever be equal to a CD which is an exact
clone of the material that it is derived from.

If part of what gives you pleasure
about LP is the process of using a turntable, a CD will never be
superior.

But then we're no longer talking about the accuracy of the 2 media and
all bets are off.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 24 Feb 2006 00:43:03 GMT, wrote:

Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

Certainly, they *can* be, and I have some examples from 1983. There
will of course always be plenty of badly-produced CDs - just as with
vinyl in the '70s!

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

Manufacturing *can* be at fault, but I'd hope that's a rare occurrence
after 23 years of manufacturing experience. Similarly with modern A/D
converters.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

Yes, that's true.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

Yes, that's true.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

Can't speak for the others, but I believe that the very real audible
differences generate a preference which is based on a combination of
euphonic distortions, mastering differences, and a feeling of
involvement with the mechanical complexity of the medium which is
missing with 'load and press play' CD.

Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.

Seems a reasonable analysis, with the caveats given above.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006 00:43:03 GMT, wrote:

Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

Certainly, they *can* be, and I have some examples from 1983. There
will of course always be plenty of badly-produced CDs - just as with
vinyl in the '70s!

So are you saying that there are some unkown number of commercial CDs
that have been soncially degraded during the digitaztion/ manufacturing
part of production?

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

Manufacturing *can* be at fault, but I'd hope that's a rare occurrence
after 23 years of manufacturing experience. Similarly with modern A/D
converters.

OK so it seems you are saying there is some unknown number of
commercial CDs that have been sonically degraded by the A/D conversion
or manufacturing?

[...]

Thank you.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 25 Feb 2006 17:40:25 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006 00:43:03 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

Sure, just as there were lots of rubbish LPs issued in the '70s,
likely still ongoing in the current 'DJ' market. One might of course
have known that your questions lacked a certain impartiality.........

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

Manufacturing *can* be at fault, but I'd hope that's a rare occurrence
after 23 years of manufacturing experience. Similarly with modern A/D
converters.

OK so it seems you are saying there is some unknown number of
commercial CDs that have been sonically degraded by the A/D conversion
or manufacturing?

Sure, just as there were lots of rubbish LPs issued in the '70s,
likely still ongoing in the current 'DJ' market. One might of course
have known that your questions lacked a certain impartiality.........

The essential point is that a well-made CD will be *much* closer to
the sound of the master tape than will a well-made LP. Check out the
JVC XRCD issues of Miles Davis' music for examples.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Skeeter

Hi Scott,
I am neither a full blooded subjectivist, nor objectivist. I tend to
believe what I subjectively experience, from an objective perspective.
So this may be a little mixed.

wrote:
Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

***Perhaps true for some narrow minded objectivists that listen with
statistical studies, calculators, D/A analysis, and algorithm
comparisons, etc... Being open minded, I would comment that it is
truly rare to find anything; either analogue or digital, that is
absolutely "audibly transparent".

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

***This is a fair criticism, and likely correct in many cases.
However, audio digital conversion is mainly a mathmatical approximation
of an analogue audio occurance. Although the technology is
mathmatically accurate, it cannot be perfect. No doubt that there
would exist possible issues with poor process and quality control of CD
manufacturing as well.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

***Tough one here. To cut a master on a lathe, the signal needs to be
tweaked a bit to satify the RIAA equalization requirements. For a CD,
this would not be necessary (I think). In terms of non-tweaking "what
you hear is what you get", I think that the CD should get the nod as
the more foolproof provider of the master. On the other hand, when a
master is cut on a lathe, there is sometime much involvement from the
recording engineers, producer, and occasionally the artist(s).
Successful tweaking at this stage of the analogue process may bring the
finished product closer yet to the intent of the people involved with
the production.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

***Probably a good portion of truth here as well. The analogue
recording and reproduction signal chain is more vulnerable to pollution
and degradation than digital. Especially at the end-user side. The
variety of turntables, plinths, mats, belts, motors, tonearms, wiring
capacitance, cartridges/stylii, tracking setups, preamps, etc... it is
incredible. There rightly are some combinations of variables that have
less influence, colouration, distortion, and occasionaly combinations
of complementary issues that help cancel each other, or minimise ill
effects on the resulting fidelity.

***There are of course many analogue recordings that were manufactured
using the direct-to-disc method. This skips out much of the inherent
pollution from tape and post recording mastering. In my opinion, this
is the best analogue method for accuracy and spontaneity available.
Always live, no overdubs, this can capture a live performance with
excetional accuracy. A very short signal chain that is all analogue.
Very demanding of performers and engineers however.

***There are older recordings that are better represented on vinyl than
CD however. You must, or course own a pressing made from the master
tape when the master tape was new. The pressing, if not overplayed and
stored/maintained properly will not degrade with time. The master tape
does degrade over time. Many CD remasterings have to work with tired,
degraded master tapes that simply have lost informantion, frequency
response issues, and increased noise. It would have been great if
engineers would have saved a pristine set of mothers that were never
used to make pressings.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.
Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.

***Yes, this is correct. It doesn't make it universally true in all
cases, but the great majority... yes.

Cheers,
Skeeter.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Ok. I have spent enough time getting feedback from objectivists
regarding their views on the accuracy of CDs in the real word. So it's
high time to state my case.

1. Live music in a goo acoustic space is my genereal reference. james
Boyk says it better than I can.
"What interest me in audio is perception, not technology. One
perception often lost in all the getting and spending is that live
sound is beautiful, while reproduced sound rarely is."
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~boyk/ear.htm
It is the *intrinsic* beauty of live music that I seek when I listen to
recordings of acoustic music. I know what it is. It is easily
recognizable when I hear live music and it is recognizably missing in
most playback. When it is there it is amazing. It is a matter of degree
not a black and white issue though.

OK my views on CDs vs.LPs as they help me achieve my goals in audio.
1. All else being equal IME LPs offer more of the intrinsic beauty than
CDs. I base this on comparisons of CDs and LPs made from the same
source by the same team of mastering enginees and producers. One
example I cited was the James Boyk recording of Pictures at an
Exhibition. i have also made the comparison with a number of oferings
fom Classics and APO. The diffeences were not huge but I did favor the
LPs.
2. The best sounding LPs sound better to me than the best sounding CDs
I have heard. Granted there is a limited sampling to sure and one can
claim I am comparing apples to oranges here but I am comparing the best
of the best on both sides. All in all it seems fair if one wants to
know which is providing the very best.
3. By and large when I compare the many CDs and LPs of a given title an
LP will usually sound the best. It used to be almost all of the time
but now it is about 70 to 80 percent of the time.

As for accuracy. Well I have a number of opinions on that but lets
start with the asertions below.

wrote:
Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

Some objectivists agree with this some acknowledged that in some cases
AD/converters and manufacturing can muk up the sound. IMO this is a
very very common problem with CDs. Cds have often been considered harsh
and strident and lacking in dimensionality and lower level harmonic
detail by many who prefer LPs. It has been my experience as well. The
claims that A/D converters are audibly transparent seems to me to be n
eroneous one.
"As Mrs. Cozart Fine and I began our evaluation sessions in April 1989,
it becamevery clear to us that the A/D conversion process was a very
critical step in our produc-tion work. As the producer once described
it, the sounds from different converters wereall different "bowls of
soup"."
http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...&cd=2&ie=UTF-8

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

Some objectivists agreed with this assertion as well. While I agree it
is a common cause of some serious problems, especially in the past 10
years i don't agree that it is the only problem as claimed above.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

Again It seems that the objectivists largely agreed with this. Up to
the intent of the artist/engineers/producers. And while I suspect it is
often true I think there is ample reason to believe it is often not
true. of course i am not speaking in terms of measured performance but
of subjective compaisons. many noted mastering engineers such as Doug
Sax and Bernie Grundman have claimed as much. They, unlike the rest of
us , actually have made direct comparisons to draw their conclusions.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

Again I disagree based on cliams made by actual mastering and recording
engineers of the very LPs and CDs I have often compared of the same
titles. Audible acuracy is subjective and if an added distortion seems
to comensate for something that is lost then that add distortion will
make something more accurate to the original as far as our perceptions
go. And that is what interests me.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.
Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.

ok not a big issue really.

But lets talk about accuracy
It seems to me that a number of objectivists seem to think a master
recording is the proper reference for audio. Aside from my position
that the common belief that if it isi on CD and hasn't been mukked with
that CDs will be more accurate to the master than LPs is often eroneous
and that many many CDs are inroducing very ugly colorations that make
their distortions more problematic in many many cases, setting up a
master tape as a reference can be a very misguided idea. Why set it up
as a reference/ Because it represents the artists intentions? How?
1. You are setting up playback as a reference for playback. master
tapes have no sound of their own. They have to be played back. The
artists recorded over mics (transducers) and listened back over another
set of transducers. It is a troublesome reference. here is yet another
problem. Many artists/enginees/ producers did not use the master tape
to judge the product. In popular music final judgement was largly based
on test pressings of the LP. IOW the LP was the reference. Matser tapes
were tweaked to get the "artists/engineers/producers intentions" for
the actual final product. One can easily go to a master tape, depending
on what tape is chosen and get nothing like what the artists intended.
The fact is mastering old mateil is not simple. choosing the right
master tape is essential and having the artists/engineers present to
guide the reissue is also very important if one is so worried about
intent of artsists and the like. Most, almost all CDs were not made
this way. OTOH just about all LPs form the advent of the medum to the
80s were. Ironically, if intent matters to you then many many LPs are
more accuratce. Consider what Rudy Van Gelder says about the subject
for a moment.
But is accuracy to the master tape the be all end all? Obviously not
in many cases. Is accuracy to the artists/engineers/producers intent
always the be all end all? in many cases I' say no. Have any of you
heard the Led Zeppelin reissues supervised by Jimi Page? Ear bleeding
trebble to say the least. should I like that better cause Jimi Page
does?

Bottom line.
There are too many variables that havegone into the making of LPs and
CDs to make any reasonableblanket claims about accuracy to the master.
We do not have access to masters and so it is difficult for us to make
our own comparisons. This along with the fact that when one uses a
master as a reference one has to use playback as a reference amkes
master tapes an unvarifiable, some what arbitrary and inherently
compramised reference. The bottom line is my goal is to get as much of
the intrinsic beauty of live music in my playback. The way I make this
call is by simply listening and comparing. My conclusions were based on
that. Thsoe conclusions being...
[...]

I think it is odd to adjust one's preferences to one's expectations. I
think many objectivists have done so by wrongly expecting CDs to be
accurate to the master, believing that the master is always a
reasonable and meaningful reference to begin with and thinking all
problems one hears from Cds should be accepted becasue the technology
is "superior" and that it is right even if it is not pretty. It makes
more sense to simply evaluate the playback on the merits of the sound.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 4 Mar 2006 19:20:14 GMT, "bob" wrote:

wrote:

snip all

Shorter Scott:
1. To me, the euphonic distortions of digital are beautiful.
2. Lots of recordings are badly made.
3. It's all digital's fault.

I presume that 1. above should have been "To me, the euphonic
distortions of analog are beautiful."

I think Scott actually thinks that the euphonic distortions of
analogue somehow make the sound more 'realistic', to him at least.

However, 2 and 3 seem to be accurate - even though Scott *very*
carefully edits highlights from reality to argue this case. Scott does
appear to think that because *some* CDs were badly mastered and/or
used poor ADCs back in the '80s, the base technology is somehow
inferior to vinyl.

To someone who was buying the garbage that mostly passed for vinyl in
the '70s, that's absolutely hilarious. And yes, I also bought a lot of
superb Sheffields etc in the same period, but that doesn't make vinyl
more accurate than CD.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE---

I don't know how true this is but I used to hear that it was necessary
to compensate for the slower speed at the inner grooves of an LP. This
compensation could be a boost in the higher frequencies or a boost in
the overall levels. Does anyone know about this?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dennis Moore

http://www.sickoftalk.com/whyvinyl_two.html

Part way down the page is the info you are asking about.

http://www.sickoftalk.com/whyvinyl.html

And here is other useful explanations of how records are made.

I do however disagree with his reasons for why vinyl is better or that it is
better.

In this article he mentions that reference discs are cut to allow producers
to see how the transfer to LP will sound compared to the master tape.
If vinyl were so much superior, why wouldn't it sound like the master tape?
Well because of all the EQ, varying frequency response and other factors not
to mention to modest S/N values of vinyl.

Dennis

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I don't know how true this is but I used to hear that it was necessary
to compensate for the slower speed at the inner grooves of an LP. This
compensation could be a boost in the higher frequencies or a boost in
the overall levels. Does anyone know about this?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I don't know how true this is but I used to hear that it was necessary
to compensate for the slower speed at the inner grooves of an LP. This
compensation could be a boost in the higher frequencies or a boost in
the overall levels. Does anyone know about this?

If that was the case, it would be done in the mastering process--not during
playback.

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

snip all

Shorter Scott:
1. To me, the euphonic distortions of digital are beautiful.
2. Lots of recordings are badly made.
3. It's all digital's fault.

I presume that 1. above should have been "To me, the euphonic
distortions of analog are beautiful."

I think Scott actually thinks that the euphonic distortions of
analogue somehow make the sound more 'realistic', to him at least.

You really need to collect that million dollars from Randi before you
go into what you think i think. Maybe you will do better just reading
what i write and understanding it.

However, 2 and 3 seem to be accurate - even though Scott *very*
carefully edits highlights from reality to argue this case. Scott does
appear to think that because *some* CDs were badly mastered and/or
used poor ADCs back in the '80s, the base technology is somehow
inferior to vinyl.

Well you got most of that wrong. Still amazes me when i spell out
exactly what I believe in very simple language. I do think a lot not
just some commercial Cds have been badly mastered and/or used ADCs that
colored the sound not to mention othe problems that can be found in the
making of many commercial CDs. I do not believe this is unique to the
eighties nor do I think it is a reflection of the base technology. so
once again we have an objctivist either misunderstnading a simply
stated position or misrepresenting it as a basis for an argument. Weak,
very weak.

To someone who was buying the garbage that mostly passed for vinyl in
the '70s, that's absolutely hilarious. And yes, I also bought a lot of
superb Sheffields etc in the same period, but that doesn't make vinyl
more accurate than CD.

Although I find the claim rather bizzarre I have to agree with your
claim that your puchases of superb Sheffields does not make vinyl more
accurate than CD. I suggest you reread what I did say about the
accuracy of CDs and LPs in real world applications and try to
understand it. I do not make any mention of which is more accurate but
which has been more accurate in real world applications. I also do not
mention your buying habbits as a cause of anything

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:

snip all

Shorter Scott:
1. To me, the euphonic distortions of digital are beautiful.
2. Lots of recordings are badly made.
3. It's all digital's fault.

I presume that 1. above should have been "To me, the euphonic
distortions of analog are beautiful."

Yep.

I think Scott actually thinks that the euphonic distortions of
analogue somehow make the sound more 'realistic', to him at least.

In the post in question, he specifically refers to the "intrinsic
beauty" of vinyl, which is why I used that term. Most of his post
typically obfuscates the distinction between accuracy and realism,
which is why neither it nor this whole thread tells us anything we
haven't heard before.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn

[...]

snip

Thanks, Scott, for eloquently summing up my thoughts on this topic. By
the way, I just received Boyk's LP of Debussy, Stravinsky, et al.
FANTASTIC! I had all of his LPs before I sold my collection in '95, so
I'm in the process of getting them again.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jenn wrote:

[...]

If great piano is what you are after I highly recomend the following.
Nojima plays Ravel Reference Recordings RR-25
Nojima plays Liszt Reference Recordings RR-35
They are amoung the best sounding piano recordings I have ever heard.
While different than the Performance recordings they don't really give
up anything in sonics. I don' know how they landed this amazing artist.
Nojima's performances on these records is second to none. This is quite
rare for an audiophile label. These rcords are that rare combination of
world class sound and world class performance of great music.

Debussy & Ravel Piano works Ivan Moravec Athena ALSY-10002
Great sound, ruly great sound. Ivan Moravec is far and away my favorite
pianist. Maybe I am mising something or am out of touch but I think
this guy plays circles around the most acclaimed pianists. Also check
out his Beethoven sonatas available on (gasp) CD. I think I have heard
all the staples when it comes to the "definitive versions" of these
works. I think the Moravec performances leave them all deep in the
dust.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn

Jenn wrote:

[...]

Got it, love it!

[...]

Thanks for this tip. I've heard of Moravec, of course, but I've not
heard his playing.

Scott