Phil Allison

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
Just burnt a CD with 1k tone at 100%, then a little under. Computer
plays it OK. Sony CD player (into the same playback system) can't
cope with the 100% tone. Sounds like vinyl mistracking.

Took it next door to the crappy set-top DVD player. TV cabinet
shakes a bit with the 1k tone, but it's clean.

I guess the culprit has to be the CD player.

** Or the following amplifer input stage is overloading.

............... Phil

Phil Allison

"Arny Krueger" ...
"Laurence Payne"

No, I think you have a player problem.

** Practically zero chance that is the case.

So what is the problem?

Probably a player problem.

So it's what Scott said? :-)

(Putting fireproof suit on)

Yup!

;-)

** This public fellatio with the arch audiophool Dorsey has to cease Arny.

People will think you have lost your interest in objectivity.

............. Phil

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:00:45 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

I guess the culprit has to be the CD player.

** Or the following amplifer input stage is overloading.

It's now a point of honour with you that it ISN'T the CD player's
fault, I take it? :-)

Bob

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:01:14 GMT, "Paul Stamler" wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Bob wrote:

I made a test CD using computer software (CEP) to generate sine

waveforms to
test a home audio system... (the equipment you guys record for! ) BUT it

sounded
very harsh... so I changed the levels down to -3db, and then to -6db, and

now it
sounds better...

Isn't that weird?

I bet a nickel that if you look at the output with a scope, you will find
that your CD player has a linearity problem slightly below 0dBFS. This is
sadly very common with consumer players.

You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate three tones
in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say) -1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I can imagine
the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

then mix them
down at equal levels so the composite wave totals -0.1dBFS. Play that back
through your DAC, attenuate a few dB, and record the attenuated result into
a pro-quality sound card. You'll be surprised how much gunk a lot of DACs
put out.

For DACs, this seems to be a real torture test. Oh, it's a torture test for
tweeters too, so *don't* play it back through your speakers!

Peace,
Paul

Bob

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:16:09 -0500, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

"siguy" wrote in message
roups.com

digital can never be perfect, long live the acetate ripping
needle!!!!!

Yes, I regret to admit that I just spent a lot of my winter vacation camping
in the Anza-Barrago (California) and Baja Mexico (Erindera) deserts and
failed to bring back any cactus needles.

If you drop in at my Dads, he'll proudly show you his cactus needle sharpener
kit!!

I'm still looking for a 78 cartridge so I can record his collection of old
records...

Bob

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:31:21 +0000, Laurence Payne
wrote:

Just burnt a CD with 1k tone at 100%, then a little under. Computer
plays it OK. Sony CD player (into the same playback system) can't
cope with the 100% tone. Sounds like vinyl mistracking.

Took it next door to the crappy set-top DVD player. TV cabinet
shakes a bit with the 1k tone, but it's clean.

I guess the culprit has to be the CD player.

I'm thinking now that I screwed up (or really CEP screwed up!!) the CD...

I ripped a CD of the soundtrack of a movie to look at a waveform that sounded
very 'loud' to me - wanted to compare, and it has a horrid looking waveform that
seems to go up to max deviation all the time, but it doesn't sound clipped at
all, so I think my Technics CD player is doing a good job... also tried the
discs on a Toshiba DVD player...

It's only the CD I made that sounds bad - CEP does make bad waves for me
sometimes... I just had to re-do a movie I edited because a sound track I did
from CEP was totally corrupted and I didn't know it... don't know why either...
now I do everything twice and don't close CEP until I've tested the wave in
WInamp!

I'll try it all again...

Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:52:27 -0500, Bob wrote:

I'm still looking for a 78 cartridge so I can record his collection of old
records...

Maybe check with Mike (IIRC) at:

http://www.esotericsound.com/

who's make a solid gig out of helping folks do just that.

Good transfering,

Chris Hornbeck
"Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember."
-Oscar Levant
Phil Allison

"Laurence Payne"
"Phil Allison"

I guess the culprit has to be the CD player.

** Or the following amplifier input stage is overloading.

It's now a point of honour with you that it ISN'T the CD player's
fault, I take it? :-)

** Go read some CD player specs and see that the published THD figure
refers to 0 dB or 2 volt rms. No ( non faulty) CD player will have trouble
playing a full level ( 0 dB) sine wave tone without audible distortion.

Arny and Dorsey are full of it.

.................. Phil

Arny Krueger

wrote:

You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate
three tones in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say)
-1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I
can imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

The world is full of converters that will handle this signal, no sweat.

Bob

wrote:

You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate
three tones in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say)
-1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I
can imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

The world is full of converters that will handle this signal, no sweat.

I guess I'll have to try it! I'll call it the "Krueger" test!

Paul Stamler

"Bob" wrote in message
You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate three

tones
in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say) -1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I can

imagine
the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

Yeah, but I can also imagine a hot, overcompressed cymbal crash exciting
precisely this sort of distortion.

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler

wrote:

You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate
three tones in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say)
-1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I
can imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

The world is full of converters that will handle this signal, no sweat.

Right -- plus a few that can't. Makes you wonder.

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler

wrote:

You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate
three tones in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say)
-1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I
can imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

The world is full of converters that will handle this signal, no sweat.

I guess I'll have to try it! I'll call it the "Krueger" test!

Ahem. May I point out that I proposed it up above? Not that it's
particularly new; a similar test was suggested in an article in Audio
Amateur some fifteen years ago. It's very useful for sleuthing out problems
in DACs, ADCs and, for that matter, opamps.

Peace,
Paul

Phil Allison

"Paul Stamler"

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I can

imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

Yeah, but I can also imagine a hot, overcompressed cymbal crash exciting
precisely this sort of distortion.

** Folk can imagine any damn thing.

Demonstrating that it exists is far more important.

CD recordings of music do not contain full levels at 19 kHz - even -20dB
at that frequency would be a rarity.

................. Phil

Paul Stamler

news

wrote:

"siguy" wrote in message
roups.com

digital can never be perfect, long live the acetate ripping
needle!!!!!

Yes, I regret to admit that I just spent a lot of my winter vacation

camping
in the Anza-Barrago (California) and Baja Mexico (Erindera) deserts and
failed to bring back any cactus needles.

If you drop in at my Dads, he'll proudly show you his cactus needle

sharpener
kit!!

I'm still looking for a 78 cartridge so I can record his collection of old
records...

Grado makes one, and many remastering engineers (including the guys at
Smithsonian/Folkways) use a Stanton 500 with various styli.

Peace,
Paul

Scott Dorsey

Bob wrote:

I'm still looking for a 78 cartridge so I can record his collection of old
records...

The Grado DJ-100 is probably a good start. It is inexpensive and has a
2.7 mil stylus available.

If you have to play worn records, or pre-electric records, or some records
from smaller labels, or you really care about sound quality, you will do a
lot better to use a cartridge with a wide variety of different stylus sizes.
But to start out with, a 2.7 mil one is an okay compromise and won't ruin
any records.
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I'm thinking now that I screwed up (or really CEP screwed up!!) the CD...

I ripped a CD of the soundtrack of a movie to look at a waveform that sounded
very 'loud' to me - wanted to compare, and it has a horrid looking waveform
that
seems to go up to max deviation all the time, but it doesn't sound clipped at
all, so I think my Technics CD player is doing a good job... also tried the
discs on a Toshiba DVD player...

It's only the CD I made that sounds bad - CEP does make bad waves for me
sometimes...

Well, rip that CD and look at the waveform in CEP. That should tell
you whether it's OK or not.

I suspect that there are a couple of significant differences between
the movie soundtrack CD and your test CD that are throwing off your
listening tests.

First, you're hearing the distortion in one in the context of music,
and the other in the context of a pure tone.

Second, the commercial CD may have peaks that are very close to full
scale, but if you look closely enough, are just a hair below - enough
so that the filter in the D/A converter of your CD player doesn't get
fooled. It's been "mastered" to be as close to immoral as possible
without actually getting there.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Arny Krueger

wrote:

You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate
three tones in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say)
-1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I
can imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

The world is full of converters that will handle this signal, no
sweat.

I guess I'll have to try it! I'll call it the "Krueger" test!

The Krueger test is 18 KHz and 20 KHz mixed 1:1 and with peak level 1 dB
below FS. Analysis is a full-band FFT analysis with at least 65K points.
Nonlinear distortion performance can be estimated based on the peak level of
the magnitude of the largest spurious response, but is exactly measured by
the geometric sum of all spurious responses.

Of course, this is not something I made up or invented, just something I
use. So putting my name on it grants me credit that I do not deserve. But,
I'll take it anyway! ;-)

Arny Krueger

wrote:

You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate
three tones in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say)
-1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I
can imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

The world is full of converters that will handle this signal, no
sweat.

I guess I'll have to try it! I'll call it the "Krueger" test!

Ahem. May I point out that I proposed it up above? Not that it's
particularly new; a similar test was suggested in an article in Audio
Amateur some fifteen years ago. It's very useful for sleuthing out
problems in DACs, ADCs and, for that matter, opamps.

Paul, it seems like a fine test, and I'm happy to see you get all the
credit.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate
three tones in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say)
-1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I
can imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

The world is full of converters that will handle this signal, no
sweat.

Right -- plus a few that can't.

Agreed.

Makes you wonder.

Not really. There are always people who want to shave every margin that
might be safely shaved, and then a few more.

Arny Krueger

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Paul Stamler"

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I
can

imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

Yeah, but I can also imagine a hot, overcompressed cymbal crash
exciting precisely this sort of distortion.

** Folk can imagine any damn thing.

Bluster aside, keys jangling are generally a far more challenging test than
mere cymbals, even really hot cymbals with the bead chain added.

Demonstrating that it exists is far more important.

Agreed.

CD recordings of music do not contain full levels at 19 kHz - even
-20dB at that frequency would be a rarity.

Agreed. The keys jangling is the toughest reasonable worst case test (i.e.,
based on a natural sound) that I've been able to find and it stops well
short of FS at 20 KHz. If you want to tweak up a keys jangling signal even
more, brick wall high pass it at about 6 KHz. This creates a nice dead zone
at 4 KHz for spurious responses to fall into, and excite the ear around its
most sensitive point.

S O'Neill

Arny Krueger wrote:

Not really. There are always people who want to shave every margin that
might be safely shaved, and then a few more.

I hate it when they do that to bridges and buildings.

Arny Krueger

"S O'Neill" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Not really. There are always people who want to shave every margin
that might be safely shaved, and then a few more.

I hate it when they do that to bridges and buildings.

Particularly if you are standing in, on or under them. Ditto for airplanes.

S O'Neill

Arny Krueger wrote:
"S O'Neill" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Not really. There are always people who want to shave every margin
that might be safely shaved, and then a few more.

I hate it when they do that to bridges and buildings.

Particularly if you are standing in, on or under them. Ditto for airplanes.

And especially Fords.

Geoff Wood

"Mark" wrote in message
Some designers may not be aware of this and
design the analog section for 5vp-p

Some 'desiigner' !

geoff

Paul Stamler

Hi again:

Okay, my mental block just went away with some help from Google. The
9.6kHz/19kHz/19.5kHz test was inspired by the work of Robert Cordell. He
used 9kHz, 10.05kHz and 20kHz, to similar effect.

So rather than the Krueger or Stamler test, if the three-tone test's gonna
have someone's name attached, it should be Cordell's.

Peace,
Paul

Geoff Wood

"David Satz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Paul, I'm not sure of anything either (not having the player or the
waveform here in front of me) but I certainly have had similar
experiences. There used to be a highly-regarded brand of outboard DAC
called "Audio Alchemy" that was effusively recommended by Stereophile
and all the other magazines; after all, every audiophile knows that
separates always sound better than combined components, right?

Well, a few years ago I took one of those DACs and fed it a simple
midrange sine wave at about 1 dB below full scale (via its S-P/DIF
input), and the clipping was easily audible. If I recall correctly,
the audible distortion on sine waves began 1 - 2 dB lower than that.

You're certainly right that there can be clipping (sometimes quite
severe) in digital filters--but with such a simple waveform, I'd
consider the problem somewhat more likely to be on the analog side.
Anyway, most of this "free diagnosis over the Web" stuff is worth about
what you pay for it ...

For some digiphobes all it needs is one dodgy DAC to be enough to damn the
whole genre.

geoff

Arny Krueger

"David Satz" wrote in message
ups.com

Paul, I'm not sure of anything either (not having the player or the
waveform here in front of me) but I certainly have had similar
experiences. There used to be a highly-regarded brand of outboard DAC
called "Audio Alchemy" that was effusively recommended by Stereophile
and all the other magazines; after all, every audiophile knows that
separates always sound better than combined components, right?

Well, a few years ago I took one of those DACs and fed it a simple
midrange sine wave at about 1 dB below full scale (via its S-P/DIF
input), and the clipping was easily audible. If I recall correctly,
the audible distortion on sine waves began 1 - 2 dB lower than that.

You might find this article relevant and interesting:

http://www.audioasylum.com/images/DITBMOD.pdf

....particularly the fourth paragraph. I'd quote it, but Acrobat doesn't want
to cut/paste the text.

Bob

wrote:

[...]

I'll try to incorporate these on my next test CD!

Bob

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:07:11 GMT, "Paul Stamler" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

You want to really find nonlinearity problems in DACs...generate
three tones in CEP, at 9.6kHz, 19kHz and 19.5kHz, each at (say)
-1dBFS,

WOW!! wouldn't that be an unfair test of the low pass filters?? I
can imagine the mess recording full power at 19k and 19.5k...

The world is full of converters that will handle this signal, no sweat.

I guess I'll have to try it! I'll call it the "Krueger" test!

Ahem. May I point out that I proposed it up above? Not that it's
particularly new; a similar test was suggested in an article in Audio
Amateur some fifteen years ago. It's very useful for sleuthing out problems
in DACs, ADCs and, for that matter, opamps.

Peace,
Paul

OK - now we have the Stamler Test as well! My next CD will be full of tests!

Bob

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:02:55 GMT, "Paul Stamler" wrote:

Hi again:

Okay, my mental block just went away with some help from Google. The
9.6kHz/19kHz/19.5kHz test was inspired by the work of Robert Cordell. He
used 9kHz, 10.05kHz and 20kHz, to similar effect.

So rather than the Krueger or Stamler test, if the three-tone test's gonna
have someone's name attached, it should be Cordell's.

Peace,
Paul

.... let me write this down...

Arny Krueger

wrote:

[...]

Enjoy!

You might want to check out this program:

http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa54.exe

You can use it to generate a .wav file that you can burn onto a CD. Play it
back into a computer with a sound card, record it and then analyze the new
wav file. You can also use it to test your sound card by looping the input
to the output with a jumper. You can interpose a piece of audio gear between
the input and output of your sound card and analyze it.

Arny Krueger

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message

Hi again:

Okay, my mental block just went away with some help from Google. The
9.6kHz/19kHz/19.5kHz test was inspired by the work of Robert Cordell.
He used 9kHz, 10.05kHz and 20kHz, to similar effect.

So rather than the Krueger or Stamler test, if the three-tone test's
gonna have someone's name attached, it should be Cordell's.

I'm not sure about that. I think there is quite a bit of prior art.

Bob

On 12 Jan 2005 09:50:45 -0500, (Mike Rivers) wrote:

In article
writes:

I'm thinking now that I screwed up (or really CEP screwed up!!) the CD...

I ripped a CD of the soundtrack of a movie to look at a waveform that sounded
very 'loud' to me - wanted to compare, and it has a horrid looking waveform
that
seems to go up to max deviation all the time, but it doesn't sound clipped at
all, so I think my Technics CD player is doing a good job... also tried the
discs on a Toshiba DVD player...

It's only the CD I made that sounds bad - CEP does make bad waves for me
sometimes...

Well, rip that CD and look at the waveform in CEP. That should tell
you whether it's OK or not.

Unfortunately, I tossed it... but I will try to make another... maybe -1 or 2
db. max. Plus maybe it's a good idea to include -20 as well.

I suspect that there are a couple of significant differences between
the movie soundtrack CD and your test CD that are throwing off your
listening tests.

First, you're hearing the distortion in one in the context of music,
and the other in the context of a pure tone.

Second, the commercial CD may have peaks that are very close to full
scale, but if you look closely enough, are just a hair below - enough
so that the filter in the D/A converter of your CD player doesn't get
fooled. It's been "mastered" to be as close to immoral as possible
without actually getting there.

The waveform of that clip ( City of Angels / Uninvited / Alanis Morisette ) is
so horrendous looking it scared me! It looks totally peaked out - but it sounds
ok - weird!

Arny Krueger

"Bob" wrote in message

I wonder what the psycho-acoustic differences are between jingly keys
and an expensive Zildjian cymbal or even a good tambourine?

Cymbals are easy compared to keys.

Maybe the key test is different because it already sounds bad and not
musical?

Well, if you look at a spectrogram, the keys have more high frequency
content.

Why does the modified white noise from a good cymbal sound good?

Real world cymbals aren't modified white noise.

My 20" Z. cymbal puts out frequencies from the low bass all the way
up to who knows what... anybody ever analyze this stuff...? Some
kind of comb filter maybe?

Sure its been analyzed. Thats one reason why I'm making specific technical
claims about it.

Maybe I should record my Zildjian for my test CD! (Hope my SM82's are up
to that!)

The tougher test is to just pull your keys out of your pocket and jangle
away!

Arny Krueger

"Bob" wrote in message

The waveform of that clip ( City of Angels / Uninvited / Alanis
Morisette ) is so horrendous looking it scared me! It looks totally
peaked out - but it sounds ok - weird!

Not weird. Making heavily clipped music that still sorta sounds like music
is an art unto itself.