Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Radio Shack VOM weirdness

Jeff Henig wrote:
TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:44:05 PM UTC-4, Jeff Henig wrote:

I work with roughly 1300 men who've done much dumber things than that.

Ever been to prison, Tim? grin

Worked in one. Four most miserable years of my life.

I can imagine.

There isn't enough money in the world to make me want to be a correctional
officer.

OTOH, my job as a religious assistant is incredibly rewarding.

This is OT, but I'd think you'd both get a lot from this:

http://www.thestreetstopsheremovie.com/

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

So I walked into Radio Shack for a battery, and happened to see that...they were blowing out their $99 RMS auto-ranging meter for $15.

It would have come in handy while I was troubleshooting this problem, but at least I'm now endowed with a super-duper Fluke-like meter. This one is orange instead of yellow, but I can live with that.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

nickbatz wrote:

So I walked into Radio Shack for a battery, and happened to see
that...they were blowing out their $99 RMS auto-ranging meter for $15.

It would have come in handy while I was troubleshooting this problem, but
at least I'm now endowed with a super-duper Fluke-like meter. This one
is orange instead of yellow, but I can live with that.

RS can surprise you. Decades ago if you opened one of their SPL meters
you'd discover that H-P built it.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:55:46 AM UTC-6, hank alrich wrote:

RS can surprise you. Decades ago if you opened one of their SPL meters
you'd discover that H-P built it.

Also decades ago, the 12AX7 tubes they sold came from Telefunken.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article
,
Jeff Henig wrote:
RS can surprise you. Decades ago if you opened one of their SPL meters
you'd discover that H-P built it.

One of the issues with RS is that they don't like to keep carrying
products that work well.

I've noticed some good area mics and very good headphones that, once
discovered, disappeared post-haste.

Could be they get a special deal from a maker who has spare capacity or
surplus stock which can be easily re-branded. And if they go back for
more, things may have changed.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/14/2014 10:07 AM, Jeff Henig wrote:
One of the issues with RS is that they don't like to keep carrying products
that work well.

I've noticed some good area mics and very good headphones that, once
discovered, disappeared post-haste.

It's possible that Radio Shack made a one-time deal with a standard
manufacturer for a specific quantity or for a specific period of time.
They might do that with mics to test the market - see if people will
come to Radio Shack to buy mics. If it's successful, then they'll find a
cheaper manufacturer, if not they'll drop the product.

They've come up with some pretty useful but hard-to-find gadgets over
the years. They had a Toslink splitter and a Toslink switch for a while,
and sold Crown PZMs for a long time. And who can forget their
announcement of a stand-alone CD recorder? It never appeared at Radio
Shack, but they announced the product before anyone else.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 14/08/2014 20:06, Jeff Henig wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

That makes sense, as well.

It makes them kinda' have an EBay ambience to them, though. If you see it,
buy it now, because you might not see it tomorrow.

That summed them up in the UK. Nowadays, Maplins have taken on that
particular position in the market.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

Okay, I see what a difference a real meter makes now. I've already used it three times for things the cheap ones couldn't tell me.

Radio Shack should blow more stuff like this out for $15.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/re...s/EX430_UM.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/18/2014 6:50 PM, nickbatz wrote:

Radio Shack should blow more stuff like this out for $15.

Maybe it was local for you, or a short lived sale. I asked at two shops
here and neither one had a $15 sale on a multimeter recently.

Glad it's working out for you.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Radio Shack Mic Tobiah Pro Audio 12 June 17th 13 04:34 PM
Radio Shack robert casey Vacuum Tubes 1 October 29th 07 11:51 PM
FA: Old Lafayette Radio, Heathkit & Radio Shack Catalogs [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 27th 05 04:05 PM
WTB: Radio Shack PZM microphone Gary Davis Marketplace 0 December 20th 03 03:41 AM
WTB: Radio Shack "Plate Mic" Gary Davis Pro Audio 3 November 30th 03 02:43 PM