Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

Default Will I fry my amp if I use a 14.8V battery instead of a 12V ?

Hello again,
I busk with a Crate Limo TX 50D which runs of an integrated 12V, 7A lead acid battery, I want to use a lighter lithium-ion battery but its 14..8V, 8A. There are 2 power inputs on the back of the amp, a DC charger plug that takes the 15V charger to charge the battery and a 12V DC cigarette lighter adapter. I tried removing the 12V lead acid battery from the amp and plugging my 14.8V lithium-ion battery into the charger plug but it will not power the amp with the battery removed. I am tempted to plug the 14.8V battery into the 12V DC cigarette lighter adapter plug .... my question is: Will I fry my amp if I do this ?
Thanks,
Rob
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

Thanks for the quick reply Don, I tried it and it seems to work fine, maybe even sound a little better and will save my shoulder !
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

One more questions: If I want to run the amp from the wall outlet can I plug the 15V AC adapter/battery charger into the 12V input on the amp ?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

Thanks, youre both right, I tried playing from the charger but it kept cutting out.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:

wrote:
Hello again,
I busk with a Crate Limo TX 50D which runs of an integrated 12V, 7A lead acid battery, I want to use a lighter lithium-ion battery but its 14.8V, 8A. There are 2 power inputs on the back of the amp, a DC charger plug that takes the 15V charger to charge the battery and a 12V DC cigarette lighter adapter. I tried removing the 12V lead acid battery from the amp and plugging my 14.8V lithium-ion battery into the charger plug but it will not power the amp with the battery removed. I am tempted to plug the 14.8V battery into the 12V DC cigarette lighter adapter plug .... my question is: Will I fry my amp if I do this ?

I have a similar Limo, and the lead-acid battery is
probably too old now (like a decade sitting there).

** Certain to be no use any more.

I'd like to know more about the replacement you have.
Is it made to replace a lead-acid battery? I have used
lots of lithium polymer batteries as an R/C plane flyer,
and I know that those can be very dangerous, and need
a very specific tapering charge current tailored to
the cell capacity. Anything goes wrong and you have
a flaming devil on your hands (a la Galaxy note 7).

Maybe you are using something completely different.

]
** Hopefully, the OP is using a Lithium Ion Phosphate battery
- aka a LiFePO4 type.

A lot safer than Lithium Polymer and often use as drop in replacements for Sealed Lead Acid types.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/561c6...4c6b6fd6ad.pdf

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18/06/2018 23:02, Tobiah wrote:

I'd like to know more about the replacement you have.
Is it made to replace a lead-acid battery?Â* I have used
lots of lithium polymer batteries as an R/C plane flyer,
and I know that those can be very dangerous, and need
a very specific tapering charge current tailored to
the cell capacity.Â* Anything goes wrong and you have
a flaming devil on your hands (a la Galaxy note 7).

Maybe you are using something completely different.

Many lithium batteries in current production for general use such as
golf carts have the smarts built into the battery, but for use in planes
and drones, where every fraction of a gramme counts, they specify a
smart charger, so the weight of the smart bit gets left on the ground.

The charging is basically just done by a small, smart chip using the
voltage supplied by the charger.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

I use this lithium ion battery, its made for field photography (flash) its a quality product made in Nashville by a great company Paul C Buff.

https://www.paulcbuff.com/Portable-P...e-battery.html

car battery Rico24 Car Audio 15 March 17th 06 02:45 AM
Battery And Assault - iPod's Unreplaceable Battery Lasts Only 18 Months Howard Shubs Marketplace 56 January 16th 04 05:41 PM
Battery And Assault - iPod's Unreplaceable Battery LastsOnly 18 Months bg Marketplace 3 January 9th 04 12:03 AM
My rant about the state of portable audio LONG was: Battery And Assault - iPod's Unreplaceable Battery LastsOnly 18 Months james w Marketplace 3 January 6th 04 05:18 AM