Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Line-levels thru XLRs

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I understand that XLRs can handle line-level
signals or mic signals just fine. Thus, I can send DI and mic signals
back to my board thru a snake's XLRs and send the board's line level
outs back to the powered mains thru different XLRs in the same snake.
True?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice

wrote in message
ps.com...
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I understand that XLRs can handle line-level
signals or mic signals just fine. Thus, I can send DI and mic signals
back to my board thru a snake's XLRs and send the board's line level
outs back to the powered mains thru different XLRs in the same snake.
True?

True, you are correct sir!

--
John L Rice

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

natjordan wrote ...
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I understand that XLRs can handle line-level
signals or mic signals just fine. Thus, I can send DI and mic signals
back to my board thru a snake's XLRs and send the board's line level
outs back to the powered mains thru different XLRs in the same snake.
True?

Yes, XLR connectors have been used for both mic-level
and for line-level signals for their entire lifetime.

Note, however that the ability to send adjacent line-level
and mic-level signals through a snake is not guaranteed.
Some snakes may so poorly shielded that you might get
some crosstalk.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

"Richard Crowley"

Note, however that the ability to send adjacent line-level
and mic-level signals through a snake is not guaranteed.
Some snakes may so poorly shielded that you might get
some crosstalk.

** The thing to worry about in that situation is not crosstalk - but
supersonic, amplifier killing oscillation !!!

.......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Phil Allison wrote:

"Richard Crowley"

Note, however that the ability to send adjacent line-level
and mic-level signals through a snake is not guaranteed.
Some snakes may so poorly shielded that you might get
some crosstalk.

** The thing to worry about in that situation is not crosstalk - but
supersonic, amplifier killing oscillation !!!

Has your head exploded yet ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

"Pooh Bear"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Richard Crowley"

Note, however that the ability to send adjacent line-level
and mic-level signals through a snake is not guaranteed.
Some snakes may so poorly shielded that you might get
some crosstalk.

** The thing to worry about in that situation is not crosstalk - but
supersonic, amplifier killing oscillation !!!

Has your head exploded yet ?

Graham

** No kiddies about to molests today - ****head ?

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Phil Allison wrote:

** No kiddies about to molests today - ****head ?

" molests " ?

Is this some new Australian fetish ?

Trust you to own up to 'likking kiddies' !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I understand that XLRs can handle line-level
signals or mic signals just fine.

XLRs are just connectors. You can put up to 15 amps at 600 volts on
them. You can run mike levels, speaker levels, power, intercom, line
signals, anything you want on them. AES/EBU digital audio, even.

Thus, I can send DI and mic signals
back to my board thru a snake's XLRs and send the board's line level
outs back to the powered mains thru different XLRs in the same snake.
True?

Sure. Snakes with returns, though, will tend to have a couple XLR
connectors that are different gender than the others. If your snake
isn't set up that way, you'll need gender-bender adaptors for the returns.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark

Do stage snakes with dedicated returns typically bundle the return
cables seperatly from the mic cables to avoid the crosstalk /feedback
problem?

If you use gender benders and just select some mic snake paths to use
as line level returns and they are all bundled together, is this
crosstalk/feedback a real problem in practice.....how do you avoid it
or test for it other than watching your amps go up in smoke....

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Mark wrote:
Do stage snakes with dedicated returns typically bundle the return
cables seperatly from the mic cables to avoid the crosstalk /feedback
problem?

It's not a problem. Only time it's an issue is if you're running a
"powered snake" where speaker-level signals are bundled in the cable.
Don't do that.

If you use gender benders and just select some mic snake paths to use
as line level returns and they are all bundled together, is this
crosstalk/feedback a real problem in practice.....how do you avoid it
or test for it other than watching your amps go up in smoke....

It's fine. Don't worry. That's why cables have shields and why we
run balanced.
-0-scott
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walt

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Mark wrote:

Do stage snakes with dedicated returns typically bundle the return
cables seperatly from the mic cables to avoid the crosstalk /feedback
problem?

It's not a problem. Only time it's an issue is if you're running a
"powered snake" where speaker-level signals are bundled in the cable.
Don't do that.

If you use gender benders and just select some mic snake paths to use
as line level returns and they are all bundled together, is this
crosstalk/feedback a real problem in practice.....how do you avoid it
or test for it other than watching your amps go up in smoke....

It's fine. Don't worry. That's why cables have shields and why we
run balanced.

Agreed. Don't worry about running line level returns down the same
snake as the mic inputs. This is a very common practice for smaller
systems (~ 24 mic channels, ~4 returns.) Yes, "best practice" is to use
separate snakes for line and mic level, but in actual practice it's not
worth worrying about.

BUT: DO WORRY ABOUT running other things down your snake such as
intercom, lighting controls, etc. Just because thay use XLR connectors
doesn't mean that they'll play nicely. Sometimes you can get away with
it depending on what it is, but if you're not sure run a separate feed.

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Pooh Bear wrote:

** The thing to worry about in that situation is not crosstalk - but
supersonic, amplifier killing oscillation !!!

Has your head exploded yet ?

Graham

Supersonic, amplifier killing oscillation? Yikes. That sounds like
the way you kill monsters in a 1950's creature movie.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your help!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

wrote in message
ups.com...

** Anencephalic GG poster.

Puke..........

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
DC

wrote:
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your help!

And humor!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Mark wrote:
Do stage snakes with dedicated returns typically bundle the return
cables seperatly from the mic cables to avoid the crosstalk /feedback
problem?

It's not a problem. Only time it's an issue is if you're running a
"powered snake" where speaker-level signals are bundled in the cable.
Don't do that.

If you use gender benders and just select some mic snake paths to use
as line level returns and they are all bundled together, is this
crosstalk/feedback a real problem in practice.....how do you avoid it
or test for it other than watching your amps go up in smoke....

It's fine. Don't worry. That's why cables have shields and why we
run balanced.

Going back ohhhh 33 yrs I found it wasn't any trouble unbalanced either.

Individually screened signals are *very* important though !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Skipper

What the hell is your problem Phil?

Mark

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

** Anencephalic GG poster.

Puke..........

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata

Mark Skipper wrote:
What the hell is your problem Phil?

You must be new here :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Mark Skipper wrote:

What the hell is your problem Phil?

If he was able to anser thr question it wouldn't be a a problem nost
likely.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark

Pooh Bear wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Mark wrote:
[...]

thank you all for the replies...
I'll stop worrying
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

"Mark Skipper"

** Another brain dead puke.

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

"Anahata"

** TROLL.

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

"Pooh Bear"

** Bludger.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
AustinMN

Mark Skipper wrote:
What the hell is your problem Phil?

Mark

Phil has a bunch of problems, all based on weakness. Here are a few:

ALLCAPS:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...tm/allcaps.htm

Compost:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...tm/compost.htm

Duelist (he pairs up with others for this one):
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...m/duelists.htm

Ego (he actually expected me to know what he had posted in another
forum):
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/ego.htm

Ferrous Cranus (being right will do you no good):
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...rouscranus.htm

Jerk:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/jerk.htm

Jekyl and Hyde (sometimes, he really is helpful):
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war.../jekylhyde.htm

Palooka (he must enjoy the anger or something):
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...tm/palooka.htm

Troglodyte:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...troglodyte.htm

And let's not forget, Xenophobe (newbie, beware):
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war.../xenophobe.htm

To be fair, sometimes Phil does post useful and correct information,
but if you don't start right out proving that you know more than him
*and* totally agree with him, you can expect him to attack.

Austin

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

"AustinMN"