Default cassette to mp3 conversion

Hello,

I am looking for some sort of device that will record from cassettes to
mp3. Just like you have a cassette to cassette recorder which really
quickly copies to the contents of one tape to another, I need a quick
way to record it to mp3. Is there such a device to play a tape, record
via sound cable or whatever into the pc, record with software as an
mp3, then play at regular speed?

Please reply on the newsgroup (rather than email)

Thanks so much

Richard

Scott Dorsey

I am looking for some sort of device that will record from cassettes to
mp3. Just like you have a cassette to cassette recorder which really
quickly copies to the contents of one tape to another, I need a quick
way to record it to mp3. Is there such a device to play a tape, record
via sound cable or whatever into the pc, record with software as an
mp3, then play at regular speed?

No. It's hard enough to get decent transcriptions from cassettes in realtime,
and it's something that you have to do while listening, you can't do it
unattended because you have to ride azimuth. If you have a huge number of
cassette dubs to do and you don't have the time, contract it out to a
company like Full Track in Seattle that specializes in large dub jobs.

Bigguy

Don't think it's possible to do this high speed...

See http://www.plusdeck.com/Englishsite/product_01.html for internal PC
cassette deck.

Just a thought - some cassette decks did play at double speed (and many
double decks do high speed dubbing), so an output from these could be
recorded into PC soundcard and slowed down in audio software to play at
correct speed...
Should be OK for speech - not sure how it would sound on music?! - depends
on your requirements...

Guy

wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for some sort of device that will record from cassettes
to mp3. Just like you have a cassette to cassette recorder which
really quickly copies to the contents of one tape to another, I need
a quick way to record it to mp3. Is there such a device to play a
tape, record via sound cable or whatever into the pc, record with
software as an mp3, then play at regular speed?

Please reply on the newsgroup (rather than email)

Thanks so much

Richard

Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

I am looking for some sort of device that will record from cassettes to
mp3. Just like you have a cassette to cassette recorder which really
quickly copies to the contents of one tape to another, I need a quick
way to record it to mp3.

You've already wasted enough time to copy several dozen tapes. Why not
just make a real-time copy and be done with it? Even if you're talking
several hundred tapes, you still have to load and unload each one.

Is there such a device to play a tape, record
via sound cable or whatever into the pc, record with software as an
mp3, then play at regular speed?

You have to play the cassette - no getting around that. There are no
files you can rip. Some of the Portastudio cassette decks will run at
double speed, but if you want to go any faster than that, you need a
professional duplicator transport. Also, when you double the speed,
you move everything up an octave, so if there's anything above 10 kHz
on your tapes, it will get stripped off if your digital sample rate is
the common 44.1 kHz.

If you want to record at double speed and then get the speed back back
to normal with the computer, you'll probably need to record in WAV
format (because that's what the vari-speed tools use), and given the
size of the file you'll have, it will probably take about as long to
adjust the speed and then convert to MP3 as if you had made a
real-time copy.

Time's a'wastin'.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Many MP3 players these days have line in so you can convert pretty much
ANY Audio source into an MP3, I have a Creative Jukebox with a 10 gig
in it that does it and an iRiver 380T(128 meg) that does it(even has
mic built in)

Skennen Peace

http://kwiter.wishe.org