David Ingram

Default 5-pin XLR to dual 3-pin XLRs

Hi:

I have a sony stereo microphone (bought for use with a minidisc recorder.)
It has a 5-pin XLR out, and came with a cable that goes from that to a
stereo mini-plug. I am wondering if it's also possible to buy a cable that
goes from the 5-pin XLR connector to two separate 3-pin XLRs, for direct
stereo connection to a board or preamp. I haven't found this exact item
yet - anyone have an idea if it is available, and if so, from where?

Thanks

David Ingram

George

In article l2MWc.307929$%_6.272600@attbi_s01,
"David Ingram" wrote:

Hi:

I have a sony stereo microphone (bought for use with a minidisc recorder.)
It has a 5-pin XLR out, and came with a cable that goes from that to a
stereo mini-plug. I am wondering if it's also possible to buy a cable that
goes from the 5-pin XLR connector to two separate 3-pin XLRs, for direct
stereo connection to a board or preamp. I haven't found this exact item
yet - anyone have an idea if it is available, and if so, from where?

Thanks

David Ingram

I bet you can but I would also bet the sony is a "T-Power" mic
and phantom power on a xlr will take it out
others that know more than I do feel free to chime in
George
Eric K. Weber

Try the following:

http://www.royerlabs.com/contact.html Tel (818) 760-8472
they include one with their stereo microphones and should be able to supply
a replacement...

Shure includes one with their VP88 and should be able to supply one
http://www.shure.com/sales-service/s...licies_us.html

Audio Technica should be able to supply one for their AT825 ....

AKG should have them for their stereo microphones

Neumann has them for their BS48i2 phantom supply.... and their stereo
microphones... I have a set...

You could try Sony but their parts department can be challenging and it's a
generic cable for stereo microphones..

Alternately buy the connectors and make one see the Royer labs site for a
nice pictorial of the connections...

Try Fullcompass
www.fullcompass.com, ask them to supply one as a spare
part for any of the above brands, whichever is easier to obtain...

Rgds:
Eric

"David Ingram" wrote in message
Hi:

I have a sony stereo microphone (bought for use with a minidisc recorder.)
It has a 5-pin XLR out, and came with a cable that goes from that to a
stereo mini-plug. I am wondering if it's also possible to buy a cable that
goes from the 5-pin XLR connector to two separate 3-pin XLRs, for direct
stereo connection to a board or preamp. I haven't found this exact item
yet - anyone have an idea if it is available, and if so, from where?

Thanks

David Ingram

David Ingram

"Eric K. Weber" wrote in message
I would assume it is powered by an internal battery?

Rgds:
Eric

Yes, that is correct.

David

George

In article sMMWc.60745$mD.37841@attbi_s02,
"David Ingram" wrote:

"Eric K. Weber" wrote in message
I would assume it is powered by an internal battery?

Rgds:
Eric

Yes, that is correct.

David

Please forgive me for posting to something my understand is vauge on
but what happens if the phantom power meets the battery? as would be
likely using 3 pin xlr's
george
Scott Dorsey

David Ingram wrote:

I have a sony stereo microphone (bought for use with a minidisc recorder.)
It has a 5-pin XLR out, and came with a cable that goes from that to a
stereo mini-plug. I am wondering if it's also possible to buy a cable that
goes from the 5-pin XLR connector to two separate 3-pin XLRs, for direct
stereo connection to a board or preamp. I haven't found this exact item
yet - anyone have an idea if it is available, and if so, from where?

The Sound Room definitely stocks pigtails. Markertek Video Supply will
probably make you up a set as well, although they might need to know the
pinouts.

Sony has them available, but getting them out of the Sony machine is not
easy, because many of the Sony Professional cables are sold only through
the consumer division for some reason.
Jim Gilliland

David Ingram wrote:
Hi:

I have a sony stereo microphone (bought for use with a minidisc recorder.)
It has a 5-pin XLR out, and came with a cable that goes from that to a
stereo mini-plug. I am wondering if it's also possible to buy a cable that
goes from the 5-pin XLR connector to two separate 3-pin XLRs, for direct
stereo connection to a board or preamp. I haven't found this exact item
yet - anyone have an idea if it is available, and if so, from where?

It's pretty easy to make your own. I had to do that a couple of years
ago when I bought an Audio Technica stereo mic that didn't have a cable.
I can't recall where I got the info on the pinouts - it may even have
been trial and error - but I was able to make my own without much fuss.
Karl Winkler

"David Ingram" wrote:

Hi:

I have a sony stereo microphone (bought for use with a minidisc recorder.)
It has a 5-pin XLR out, and came with a cable that goes from that to a
stereo mini-plug. I am wondering if it's also possible to buy a cable that
goes from the 5-pin XLR connector to two separate 3-pin XLRs, for direct
stereo connection to a board or preamp. I haven't found this exact item
yet - anyone have an idea if it is available, and if so, from where?

Thanks

David Ingram

I bet you can but I would also bet the sony is a "T-Power" mic
and phantom power on a xlr will take it out
others that know more than I do feel free to chime in
George

I doubt it's a T powered mic, but rather an electret condenser that
runs on a small battery...

There are cables available that go from XLR5F to 2xXLR3M, but the
question is "how is that mic wired". George is right, though, that you
probably don't want to pass 48V to the mic. I think Neumann has (or
used to have, anyway) a cable with XLR5 to 2xXLR3 but also with
blocking caps... check with someone there (Uwe or Dawn) to see if they
still can get those. But again, it depends on how your original cable
is wired.

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
David Satz

Karl Winkler wrote:

There are cables available that go from XLR5F to 2xXLR3M, but the
question is "how is that mic wired". George is right, though, that you
probably don't want to pass 48V to the mic. I think Neumann has (or
used to have, anyway) a cable with XLR5 to 2xXLR3 but also with
blocking caps... check with someone there (Uwe or Dawn) to see if they
still can get those. But again, it depends on how your original cable
is wired.

Hello, Karl--nice to hear from you in your new situation. I hope you're
liking it out where you are.

Unfortunately the only standard Neumann adapter cables that go from
XLR-5F through blocking capacitors seems to be the AC 24 and AC 29--
and their output connectors are miniplugs and unbalanced 1/4" phone plugs
respectively, not XLR-3Ms. Furthermore, as you may know, these Neumann
adapter cables, which used to list for $50, went up in price in the Sept.
2003 price list to $165! Schoeps' equivalent adapter, the AK SU/2U, is
only somewhat less expensive ($125 list).

For a more reasonably-priced adapter cable from XLR-5F to 2 x XLR-3M,
one alternative might be the one which Shure provides for their VP88
stereo microphone. Its part number seems to be 90A4148, but this may
be orderable only as a part from Shure, rather than as a regular retail
product sold by dealers; it might be worth a call to them.

None of these cables would block DC powering, so I hope that if the
microphone isn't equipped to handle phantom powering that the phantom
powering can simply be switched off. With nearly all mike preamps that
is easily possible; it's usually only with mixers that phantom powering
is switched on and off "globally."

--best regards

Karl Winkler

(David Satz) wrote in message . com...
Karl Winkler wrote:

[...]

David, thanks for the clarification! As usual, you know more about the
Neumann stuff, even more than a (ahem) former Neumann product
manager... I think what happened with the prices on those cables is
that they (Neumann/USA) used to have them made stateside, and the guy
who made them (Joe Leung) has since retired. So now, like with
Schoeps, these cables come from Germany where the Euro is so much
stronger than the dollar... shame, really.

Agreed: most mixers should allow for phantom to be shut off, and most
preamps even allow it to be shut off individually on each channel.

Such a cable really wouldn't be too difficult to make, if one has a
soldering iron, access to mic cable material and the required
connectors. And a little bit of experience.

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com