Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Shure 556S Mics

I have a couple of 556S mics in which the windscreens and internal rubber mounts
are fully deteriorated. Does anyone repair these things other than Shure? While
I would never use them for anything, they do have some emotional value because
they were my father's.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
I have a couple of 556S mics in which the windscreens and internal rubber mounts
are fully deteriorated. Does anyone repair these things other than Shure? While
I would never use them for anything, they do have some emotional value because
they were my father's.

If Shure actually has parts in stock, they are probably cheaper than anyone
else around.

If they don't have parts in stock, replacement shock mounts will probably
mean molding new ones out of RTV and that's really something of a pain to
do.

The windscreen material should be easy to match, it's just silk.

As I recall, Shure still made these things into the early eighties, making
them really the last of the 55 series until they did the reissue. So they
might be new enough to have parts, and they might turn out to sound a lot
better than the regular 55 mikes also.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/1/2011 3:23 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
[...]

--scott

I'll contact them. The windscreen in one of them is foam. It's totally
gone. The last time I asked Shure about a repair, the response was not
good. As I recall, they quoted a flat rate repair for a very simple
problem.

The staked-in thread of one of the screws holding the back plate cover
of one of my SM7s is missing. It would be nice to get it put back, but
it's not worth spending a bunch of money.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:

I'll contact them. The windscreen in one of them is foam. It's totally
gone. The last time I asked Shure about a repair, the response was not
good. As I recall, they quoted a flat rate repair for a very simple
problem.

This suggests that the repair consists in shipping a refurb and putting the
broken one in the "to refurb" box to be refurbed once the shelf with
refurbed ones is empty, ie. the probably do it in some kind of a batch mode.
The economic alternative probably is not to offer any repair. As for what
they actually do ... I plain do not know. But waiting too long puts you in
the "no repair" situation once they run out of some part that requiires
production in a large batch, beancounters doesn't like having too large
piles on shelves.

The staked-in thread of one of the screws holding the back plate cover
of one of my SM7s is missing. It would be nice to get it put back, but
it's not worth spending a bunch of money.

This is a different class of microphone - one that probably warrants an
individual repair approach, right? - ask them!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I have a couple of 556S mics in which the windscreens and internal rubber
mounts
are fully deteriorated. Does anyone repair these things other than Shure?
While
I would never use them for anything, they do have some emotional value
because
they were my father's.

Try the 556S on guitar cabinets. For some music you might be very
surprised. As an 'effect' mike on horns, too. In a couple of studios I
worked at we had several 556Ss. They were used frequently even though we
had a full complement of AKG, Neumann, EV, Schoeps, and Telefunkens to
choose from.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/1/2011 11:24 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

Shure replied that they do not repair old mics. I guess I need to find someone
who does. I'm not willing to spend a bunch of money.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_8_] Neil[_8_] is offline

mcp6453 wrote:

I'll contact them. The windscreen in one of them is foam. It's totally
gone. The last time I asked Shure about a repair, the response was not
good. As I recall, they quoted a flat rate repair for a very simple
problem.

Shure replied that they do not repair old mics. I guess I need to find someone
who does. I'm not willing to spend a bunch of money.

I was at a flea market and saw a cheap microphone that looked the same
size as my Shure SM87. Bought it and the tops were perfectly
interchangeable, now have new screen in my Shure for about $2,50
(It works perfectly by the way)

4 mics compared, Schoeps, Shure, and CAD Fran Guidry Pro Audio 59 July 6th 09 11:30 PM
Shure MX393 Tabletop Mics apa Pro Audio 0 April 6th 09 05:48 PM
Older Shure mics Doug S Pro Audio 20 March 13th 08 01:07 PM
Shure dynamic mics & phantom power Jason Pro Audio 4 September 8th 07 04:05 PM
Shure Wireless Mics TS Pro Audio 2 November 18th 03 12:12 AM