Mister.Lull

Default Amp Mounting Question

So here's a scenerio:

I'm building a box, and the outside measurements are 36inch X 18inch X
12inch. When the box is built I'll be installing one ten into it, with
two 2.5 inch ports (of the appropriate length). When I put this bad
boy in my trunk I'm going to add a couple of "wings" on the front piece
so that the box will mount flush with the rest of the trunk. I'm ALSO
going to do the same thing with the top of the box. So if you're all
on the same page as me (figuratively speaking) then you'll see that, on
each side of the box, there will be an empty space that is closed off.
(Drumroll please...)
I want to mount my amplifier in that space. I know that there won't be
much airflow (obviosly) so I was thinking about using a cooling fan
(the kind you normally intall into a PC tower). Do you think that I
would need to vent that fan out into the trunk (or the other way
around), or would the fan enclosed within that space with the amplifier
keep said amplifier cool enough?

The Amp: JBL Audio BP150.1, running 150 watts rms at 2 ohms
The Sub: Jensen KS210, dual voice coil rated for 175 watts rms

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Mister.Lull

scott johnson

for best results, mount the fan to blow air into the box and leave some
airhole somewhere for the hot air to go.

or have the fan exhaust the area

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Cyrus

In article . com,
"Mister.Lull" wrote:

[...]

IMO As long as there's air moving across the amps cooling fins/heat sink
there shouldn't be a problem.

Chances are if the amp is rated to a 2ohm mono load and you present that
load to it, it should do its thing and not need cooling.

I have no experience with JBL amps.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Mister.Lull

Alright, so my next question is this: These types of fans run on 12
volts DC current, and only use about 1.5 watts max... Can I just plug
the hot wire into the lead from the battery going to the amp, and the
negative wire to the ground for the amp? Or is that going to cause
interference/noise because it's using the amplifier's power lines?

Mister.Lull

Eddie Runner

you may not need a cooling fan at all,
give it a try and see... I have installed for
over 30 years and have seen some amps
cramme dinto tiny spaces with no problem
lots of times...

Eddie

"Mister.Lull" wrote:

[...]

Cyrus

In article . com,
"Mister.Lull" wrote:

Alright, so my next question is this: These types of fans run on 12
volts DC current, and only use about 1.5 watts max... Can I just plug
the hot wire into the lead from the battery going to the amp, and the
negative wire to the ground for the amp? Or is that going to cause
interference/noise because it's using the amplifier's power lines?

Mister.Lull

When I had a fan hooked up, the distro block was used for power and
ground to the relay/fan. Didn't recognize any probs.

hth,

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Mister.Lull

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen!

Mister.Lull

MZ

Alright, so my next question is this: These types of fans run on 12
volts DC current, and only use about 1.5 watts max... Can I just plug
the hot wire into the lead from the battery going to the amp, and the
negative wire to the ground for the amp? Or is that going to cause
interference/noise because it's using the amplifier's power lines?

It's not uncommon for some types of fans to produce noise in the power line.
I think it'll depend a lot on the particular fan and the amp. Personally,
I'd try it first without the fan.