kshetline

Default Custom install in '05 Subaru Legacy/Outback?

I'm looking at buying a new Subaru Legacy. I'd like to put my existing
Alpine head unit into the new car, along with my Alpine iPod adapter.
After having gotten used to that combo, a factory-installed 6-disc CD
changer just doesn't cut it.

The dashboards on the new Subarus -- not unlike many new car models I'm
seeing -- look distinctly aftermarket-audio unfriendly. In my old
Subaru there was a pretty straight-forward double-DIN rectangular hole
in the dash. No mystery there. I've installed two head units myself
over the life of the old car without a problem.

But the new dashboard forms one continuous sweep of
plastic/vinyl/whatever-the-hell-it's-made-of custom molded around
non-DIN spaced audio controls, as well as the heating/cooling controls.
As this layout is new to the 2005 model year, apparently no adapter
kits yet exist for neatly replacing this patch of dashboard with
something more DIN friendly.

Has anyone out there managed to get aftermarket audio into one of these
2005 Subaru Legacies, or perhaps into a 2005 Outback (which has the
same console layout)? If so, did it involve ugly hacking and slashing,
or awkward mounting? Did you end up with disconnected factory buttons
just hanging out on the dash doing nothing? Or is a nice, neat,
professionally looking, properly functioning set-up possible?

jp928

go to www.legacygt.com/forums then audio/interior page for MANY
discussion of this and various solutions. Also check out
www.outback.org
jp 05 OBW 2.5i 5mt

--
jp928