Mondoslug1

Default Radar Differences...Otari vs IZ

Are there any glaring differences other than the optional converter choices?

My tunes at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/andymostmusic.htm

Barry

(Mondoslug1) wrote in message ...
Are there any glaring differences other than the optional converter choices?

My tunes at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/andymostmusic.htm

iZ manufactured RADAR II until March 2000. The last production run of
73 units was sold to Otari on March 30th 2000. Otari sold their last B
stock RADAR II units in December 2002.

The following are the features that RADAR 24 HAS that RADAR II DOES
NOT HAVE
- RADAR 24 samples up to 192 kHz, RADAR II is limited to 48 kHz.
- RADAR 24 has Networking, RADAR II does not
- RADAR 24 can backup/export to the internal 80 Gig system drive,
RADAR II cannot and the system drive on RADAR II is only 40 Megabytes
- RADAR 24 has a single wire 96 kHz standard 3 connector AES card,
RADAR II has a 48 kHz AES card with a non-standard 6 connector
interface
- RADAR 24 has an optional 48 channel meter bridge
- RADAR 24 Exports and Imports of WAV and BWAV
- RADAR 24 supports high capacity hard drives
- RADAR 24 has a 1 Gigahertz main board, RADAR II has a 75 Mhz main
board
- RADAR 24 has ADAT light pipe, RADAR II does not support ADAT Light
pipe
- RADAR 24 looks iZ cool
- RADAR 24 has a high reliability ball bearing power supply cooling
fan, RADAR II has a plastic sleeve bearing power supply cooling fan.
- RADAR 24 has Gain/Fade, level change editing as well as long record
punch in/out and edit crossfade settings up to 10 seconds, RADAR II is
limited to 100 ms crossfade times and has no level/gain/fade editng
- RADAR 24 has USB ports, RADAR II does not
- RADAR 24 has a PS2 port, RADAR II does not
- RADAR 24 supports compact track arming and proper track numbering
across all slaves in RADARLink, RADAR II does not
- RADAR 24 Supports Selective Drive Recording, RADAR II does not
- RADAR 24 Records to the DVD-RAM, RADAR II does not
- RADAR 24 supports the KC 24 with mouse jog and left/right mouse
button Mark In/Mark Out, RADAR II does not
- RADAR 24 supports high resolution 1024 X 768 graphics, RADAR II does
not
- RADAR 24 has a low profile 24 channel meter bridge, RADAR II has a
big high 24 channel meter bridge that looks kind a goofy (although it
didn't look goofy in 1996 when it was designed)
- RADAR 24 has a well written modern up-to-date printed owner's manual
as well as a PDF of the same on the Web AND on the actual RADAR 24
itself for easy access to help, RADAR II has a um... well... a manual
that is um.... written.
Fletcher

Mondoslug1 wrote:

Wow, I'm really confused now. Thanks for the info though!

The short version... the same company, "iZ" made both units... they have
greatly improved the unit over the years... Otari no longer distributes the
product.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Audy

Wow, I'm really confused now. Thanks for the info though!

My tunes at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/andymostmusic.htm

Let me tell you that I have used both machines and the original Radar
and Radar II machines were great but Radar 24 has had a series of
major upgrades sonically and in functionality.

The Nyquist (96K) and S-Nyquist (192K) converters especially, are
"state of the art" and among the most neutral you will hear. BTW, at
all sample rates, especially at 192k, Radar 24 uses WAY less drive
space than ProTools. The new, ultra-low jitter digital clock is also a
reason for the superior sound of the new machines. You CAN hear it.

The Radar OS has been constantly upgraded based on requests of users
like myself so many features and functions have been added, with more
to come soon (like "markers" and the ability to write to DVD-RW and
CD-RW). Many editing features were also added such as "gain change"
and "gain fade."

Although the Radar II is a great machine, there is no comparison. 3
years worth of improvements and additions puts it in a whole different
league.

You should also know that a Radar II can be upraged to a Radar 24.
Also, the most basic Radar 24 model can be upgraded to the full 192k
model with all the high end "bells and whistles." iZ believes in
"upgradability" and designs with that in mind.

Lastly, iZ Radar Tech Support is second to none, period! I can't tell
you how Otari's support was but you can always reach someone at iZ who
will help you during normal business hours, AND it's toll free, free
of charge and staffed by nice people without attitudes. This includes
walking you through installation of drives, set-up, answers to any
technical questions, etc. It is THE BEST tech. support you will ever
find. Try calling (800) 776-1356 yourself with questions.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions. Please feel free to
contact me privately with other questions also.

Audy O
Bryson

Barry wrote:

- RADAR 24 Exports and Imports of WAV and BWAV

I remember trying to do the wave file thing on RADAR I...heh heh.

- RADAR 24 has ADAT light pipe, RADAR II does not support ADAT Light
pipe-

Those ADAT cards never worked? Maybe I never actually saw
one...... I'm still trying to get TDIF working properly though.

RADAR 24 has a well written modern up-to-date printed owner's manual
as well as a PDF of the same on the Web AND on the actual RADAR 24
itself for easy access to help, RADAR II has a um... well... a manual
that is um.... written.

Why is that? Was the manual just Otari's thing, and not
Creative's too?

My RADAR II's still kickin ass! Might be due for an upgrade
soon though.......

John Noll

Bryson wrote:

Barry wrote:

- RADAR 24 Exports and Imports of WAV and BWAV

I remember trying to do the wave file thing on RADAR I...heh heh.

- RADAR 24 has ADAT light pipe, RADAR II does not support ADAT Light
pipe-

Those ADAT cards never worked? Maybe I never actually saw one...... I'm
still trying to get TDIF working properly though.

RADAR 24 has a well written modern up-to-date printed owner's manual
as well as a PDF of the same on the Web AND on the actual RADAR 24
itself for easy access to help, RADAR II has a um... well... a manual
that is um.... written.

Why is that? Was the manual just Otari's thing, and not Creative's too?

My RADAR II's still kickin ass! Might be due for an upgrade soon
though.......

I have a Radar II and like it a lot. Someday I'll move up to the latest
IZ version as well. The export to Wav is a big plus as are some of the
other newer features.

TDIF is a bit tricky. The digital preferences are difficult to
understand and the manual is clunky. I've found that you can run audio
into the analog convertors and access TDIF output effectively using the
Radar as a stand-alone convertor. I output the 24 channels of TDIF to a
MOTU 2408 and record those to MOTU's AudioDesk. Then I can easily import
those Sound Designer files into ProTools using PTLE and an 001.

I use this setup for clients who want to track onto 2" and walk out with
ProTools files to manipulate/demusicate at home. I can also track
directly to Radar and export the same way. Not being a ProTools facility
per se, It gives me the flexibility to interface 2" tape, Radar,
ProTools and ADATs in any direction without investing a lot of $ in Digi
hardware. The clocking issues are critical but I fiqured it out using a
Digital Timepiece and Zeta-Three for sync. There's lots of cabling involved.
John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ 07701

Phone: 732-842-3853 Fax: 732-842-5631

http://www.retromedia.net

Mondoslug1

John Noll wrote:

I have a Radar II and like it a lot. Someday I'll move up to the latest
IZ version as well. The export to Wav is a big plus as are some of the
other newer features.

That feature seems like a biggie around here these days.

My tunes at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/andymostmusic.htm

Bryson

John Noll wrote:
Bryson wrote:

Barry wrote:

- RADAR 24 has ADAT light pipe, RADAR II does not support ADAT Light
pipe-

Those ADAT cards never worked? Maybe I never actually saw one......
I'm still trying to get TDIF working properly though.

TDIF is a bit tricky. The digital preferences are difficult to
understand and the manual is clunky. I've found that you can run audio
into the analog convertors and access TDIF output effectively using the
Radar as a stand-alone convertor. I output the 24 channels of TDIF to a
MOTU 2408 and record those to MOTU's AudioDesk. Then I can easily import
those Sound Designer files into ProTools using PTLE and an 001.

I use it with the 2408 also. I can get it working, but every
once and a while it falls out of sync or whatever, and I get a
bunch of noise on all the 2408 inputs. Maybe it's the cheap
Cable Up tdif cables I'm using.

John Noll

TDIF is a bit tricky. The digital preferences are difficult to
understand and the manual is clunky. I've found that you can run audio
into the analog convertors and access TDIF output effectively using
the Radar as a stand-alone convertor. I output the 24 channels of TDIF
to a MOTU 2408 and record those to MOTU's AudioDesk. Then I can easily
import those Sound Designer files into ProTools using PTLE and an 001.

I use it with the 2408 also. I can get it working, but every once and a
while it falls out of sync or whatever, and I get a bunch of noise on
all the 2408 inputs. Maybe it's the cheap Cable Up tdif cables I'm using.

In AudioDesk are you setting the clock source to 2408 Word Clock
(derived from Radar) ?