Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim Jim is offline

Default Speaker testing

I'm new to this group, so please excuse me if this topic has been
raised before.
I need some help testing the FR of my stereo speakers. I'm in over my
head. I bought TrueRTA software and Loudspeaker Lab's testing
software, the recommended mic and mixer. Problem is: no matter what I
try I can't get the software to work the way it's supposed to with my
sound card. I have tried everything I can think of but to no avail.
Before I sink more money into equipment (ie: external sound card,
etc.) I thought I'd send out a plea for some help.

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to walk me through the
process of testing the FR of my speakers? I'd really appreciated it.

Thanks, Jim

My equipment:
Computer: AMD Athlon 64 @ 3500+. 2.2 ghz 1gig Ram, on board sound
card Realtec (?) 5 channel; TrueRTA v3.3.1; Loudspeaker Lab 3.1,
EuroRack UB802 mic mixer, Behringer ECM 8000 mic.
Stereo: Jolida 302B tube amp, marantiz cd, Aria 5R1 speakers (DIY
ribbon tweeter speakers), NHT 12" powered subwoofer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:54:32 -0700, Jim wrote:

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to walk me through the
process of testing the FR of my speakers? I'd really appreciated it.

Have you seen this?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=572477

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim Jim is offline

On Jun 26, 6:41 pm, Kalman Rubinson wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:54:32 -0700, Jim wrote:
Is there anyone out there who would be willing to walk me through the
process of testing the FR of my speakers? I'd really appreciated it.

Have you seen this?http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=572477

Kal

Kal, thanks for replying:

I did in fact. I've followed the instructions over and over and over
again and it still doesn't work. When I do the loop to calibrate the
sound card I get no volt reading on the DMM, unless I do front speaker
out to mic in. Then I get a reading of 2.254mhz. But I still do not
get a tone generated or anything else. I have tried every combination
of loops connecting the plugs on the sound card (line in to front
speakers, front speakers to mic, etc., etc.,). I can't even get
TrueRTA to generate a tone through the computer speakers. I take that
back, I got it to generate tone once, but the next time I loaded the
program it stopped. I haven't gotten a tone since.
I hate to buy a new sound card until I'm certain that's the problem.
I don't want to throw good money after bad. Besides, my current sound
card is reasonably good. It's not the best but it is a full duplex 5
channel card. I just suspect that I am doing something wrong. Any
other suggestions?

What I'd really like to do is talk with John Murphy. Does anyone know
if he is still active on this group?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Jun 26, 8:12 pm, Jim wrote:
On Jun 26, 6:41 pm, Kalman Rubinson wrote:

I hate to buy a new sound card until I'm certain that's the problem.
I don't want to throw good money after bad. Besides, my current sound
card is reasonably good. It's not the best but it is a full duplex 5
channel card. I just suspect that I am doing something wrong. Any
other suggestions?

The TrueRTA program does indeed perform as advertised when used
appropriately with the sound card. You have a problem with your
soundcard setup. Either the hardware connections (cables) or soft
settings (see Windows Volume settings) has something amiss. You
haven't tried everything yet. I can get a TrueRTA to perform with an
AC97 (realtek) just fine.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim Jim is offline

On Jun 26, 10:15 pm, wrote:
On Jun 26, 8:12 pm, Jim wrote:

On Jun 26, 6:41 pm, Kalman Rubinson wrote:
I hate to buy a new sound card until I'm certain that's the problem.
I don't want to throw good money after bad. Besides, my current sound
card is reasonably good. It's not the best but it is a full duplex 5
channel card. I just suspect that I am doing something wrong. Any
other suggestions?

The TrueRTA program does indeed perform as advertised when used
appropriately with the sound card. You have a problem with your
soundcard setup. Either the hardware connections (cables) or soft
settings (see Windows Volume settings) has something amiss. You
haven't tried everything yet. I can get a TrueRTA to perform with an
AC97 (realtek) just fine.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaoshttp://www.bsstudios.com

Bob,
Thanks for replying. At least you give me some hope that the software
works with the sound card. I'm using the Realtek AC97.

Maybe you could be more specific about the hardware connections and
software settings you use.
I set the Windows Volume as follows: Play: all muted except Wave and
Master Volume both of which are set to maximum. Record: Line-in is
selected with the volume set to maximum.
The cables are set as follows: To calibrate I'm using a cable with
1/8" stereo plugs at both ends and a "Y" splitter at one end to
connect the DMM. To make the calibration loop the cable is connected
from the Line-in plug on the sound card to the Side speaker plug on
the sound card.

These are the default connections I've been using to calibrate. I've
actually tried every other combination I could think of. There is no
Line-out plug on the card, that's why I use the side speakes (I've
tried the center, front, and sub plugs too).

Is that how you set yours up? I'm I missing something?
Again, thanks for your help.
Jim

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jun 27, 11:48 am, Jim wrote:
On Jun 26, 10:15 pm, wrote:

Bob,
Thanks for replying. At least you give me some hope that the software
works with the sound card. I'm using the Realtek AC97.

I set the Windows Volume as follows: Play: all muted except Wave and
Master Volume both of which are set to maximum. Record: Line-in is
selected with the volume set to maximum.

First off, the realtek AC'97 isn't my first choice for this task. It's
on the motherboard and selectable but I use an M-Audio Transit to
avoid all the gotcha's that the AC'97 can give. Check your AC'97 setup
panel. Verify the AC'97 speaker selection is configured correctly and
turn off any EQ, mixer, spatial effects / sound effects or other crap.
Verify that the input and output jacks are configured correctly.
Manually select correct settings if needed.

Looking over my settings again I realize that I specifically DO NOT
set all inputs and outputs to maximum. The wave output is set to max
but the Volume Control is set no higher than mid position on my
machine or the output will clip. All other output devices are
deselected. The input has only the line input selected and it's
position is just between the lowest and second lowest mark, again to
avoid clipping. That is specific to my motherboard. Your's may be
different. An oscilloscope can be very handy here, an outboard, not
the one built into the TrueRTA.

The cables are set as follows: To calibrate I'm using a cable with
1/8" stereo plugs at both ends and a "Y" splitter at one end to
connect the DMM. To make the calibration loop the cable is connected
from the Line-in plug on the sound card to the Side speaker plug on
the sound card.

Cables are fine as long as you don't have any opens, shorts or
crossovers. Check with an ohm meter.

Is that how you set yours up? I'm I missing something?
Again, thanks for your help.

hope that helps.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim Jim is offline

On Jun 27, 4:05 pm, wrote:
On Jun 27, 11:48 am, Jim wrote:

On Jun 26, 10:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the help.
Jim

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jim" wrote ...
These are the default connections I've been using to calibrate. I've
actually tried every other combination I could think of. There is no
Line-out plug on the card, that's why I use the side speakes (I've
tried the center, front, and sub plugs too).

Does this sound "card" work normally? If you play
something in Windows, does it come out properly
in stereo on the left & right channels?

I hate those "surround sound" things because they have
so much extra junk that you have to slog through just to
get the plain stereo input and output to work.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim Jim is offline

Since posting this thread I've talked to John M. at TrueRTA. Turns
out I had 3 problems going at the same time. My DMM wasn't working
very well, the computer came bundled with an EQ software that ran in
the background and messed up the readings I got and lastly I didn't
know the TrueRTA software very well.

I've gotten the software to work reasonably well now. Thanks for the
help.
Jim

Speaker testing Jim Tech 5 June 28th 07 05:00 PM
speaker testing software Jim Tech 18 August 27th 06 12:03 PM
Acoustically transparent but opaque material for blind speaker testing? Rich Andrews Tech 8 August 28th 03 10:30 PM
Acoustically transparent but opaque material for blind speaker testing? Per Stromgren General 0 August 19th 03 09:33 AM
Testing speaker cable. normanstrong High End Audio 3 July 27th 03 11:22 PM