Mark A

Default dvd technical problems

"Ken Mogg" wrote in message
om...
please, can anyone help me with this - or maybe refer me elsewhere?

i am not a particularly technically-minded guy ...

a friend in the usa (i'm in melbourne, australia) has sent me some
movies on dvd that he has produced himself (on a semi-pro basis)

my dedicated ('teac' brand) dvd-player is set up to play dvds from all
regions 1-4, and does not normally give trouble

but 2 problems have arisen with the dvds sent to me by my friend:

(1) some of the dvds get a distance into their playing time -
typically 40-50' into it - and then the image gradually starts to
break up until the disc finally stops (this happens with the same
discs on a neighbour's dvd-player too)

(2) the sound on the dvds is typically broken up - somewhere between a
jerky crackle and a burble - though only on my machine, not on my
neighbour's (and my friend in the usa says that no-one else has
complained about this sound problem)

i have cleaned my dvd-player with a dvd-cleaning disc - but the
problem/s continue

please, any comments, advice, etc (for me and/or my friend in the
usa)?

thank you - ken

I seen factory pressed CD's with some of the problems you describe, so I am
not surprised that a DVD-R disc could also have problems. Ask your friend to
burn another one and check it in advance before sending it to you. Have them
check on a DVD player, not the one he used on his computer to burn it.

Jerry G.

Ask your fiend to re-do the DVD disks. Also, there is a possibility that
the alignment between the 2 drives is a bit out in relation to each
other, but in relation to the standard test CD, they may be within the
window of specifications to be respected. The alignment is not
something you can do on your own without the proper test equipment,
service information, training, and tools.

Sometimes recording CDW disks at a lower speed will improve the disk's
operation performance. As your friend to do these over again, but use a
slower speed.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG