Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] ixtarbrules@yahoo.com is offline

Default Valley Navy Veteran Receives Silver Star

((USS Liberty was a US Navy ship ATTACKED by the Israelis in
international waters. With allies like Israel, who needs enemies?
Bret.))

Valley Navy Veteran Receives Silver Star

By Jessica Peres

"Visalia, CA (KFSN) -- Forty-two years ago the USS Liberty was attacked as it was docked in the Mediterranean Sea during the Arab -Israeli War.

One of the sailors on board was awarded the Navy's third-highest honor
for saving more than 260 lives on that ship.

65-year old Terry Halbardier never thought he'd be in Congressman
Devin Nunes' office receiving a Silver Star, the Navy's third highest
honor for his role in saving 260 lives during the Arab-Israeli War,
also known as "The Six Day War."

Terry Halbardier said, "I'm stoked! It's a total honored humbly
honored right now I never expected something like this to happen."

The Navy vet was only 23-years old when his ship ... the USS Liberty
was attacked by Israeli fighter jets. 34 crewmembers were killed, 170
others injured. During the two-hour attack Halbardier fixed an antenna
that was shot down and sent out a signal for help.

The June 8th 1967 attack is widely controversial because Israel was
the U.S.'s ally during the war. President Lyndon Johnson declared it
an "accident" but those aboard are certain the attack was deliberate.

"There's a lot of theories but let's just say they didn't want us
listening in to what they wanted to do," said Halbardier.

"The government has kept this quiet I think for too long and I felt as
my constituent he needed to get recognized for the services he made to
this country," said Nunes.

Halbardier still has scars all over his body from shrapnel during the
attack. Former CIA Analyst Ray McGovern flew from Virginia to see
Halbardier receive the Silver Star.

"Now we have a Silver Star- the third highest award for the Navy given
to a person without whom there'd be no tale to tell that Liberty would
be at the bottom of the Mediterranean," said McGovern.

Terry Halbardier says he still suffers from survivor's guilt. He
continues to tell his story about the truth from that day to anyone
who will listen. "

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=6835367