Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default To Knob or not to Knob

My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

On Mar 19, 7:51 am, Ty Ford wrote:
My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Ty,

I don't know what kind of functionality you need, but if it's just
handy volume and speaker switching the big knob is great. I had one
when they first came out, and only got rid of it when i got a real
console. The thing about the big knob though is the whole unit is
HUGE. but it's super handy. i liked that it had a master mute on it
in easy reach.

Nate

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] is offline

Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called the
control room. It will kill things like the big knob and
it is in the box. Their new organization for plugs and
the plugs that come with it are alone worth the price
and it is just a little more than the big knob.

But then again there is nothing like a big knob to
reach for when the computer decides to go its own way.

peace
dawg

. ..
:
: Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other
options?
:
: Regards,
:
: Ty Ford
:
:
: --Audio Equipment Reviews Audio Production Services
: Acting and Voiceover Demos http://www.tyford.com
: Guitar
player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU
:

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 19, 9:09 am, "Deputy Dumbya Dawg"
wrote:
Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called the
control room. It will kill things like the big knob and
it is in the box.

Do you know what a Big Knob does? How can Cubase possibly do that in
the box? The Big Knob provides multiple inputs and outputs as well as
hands-on controls. I suppose that you could assign outputs of a multi-
out sound card to different speakers and have on-screen buttons to
mute and un-mute them, and have an on-screen volume and mute control,
and what about the RIAA equalized phono input? And the headphone
outputs? And talkback mic?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

On 19 Mar 2007 07:18:18 -0700, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called the
control room. It will kill things like the big knob and
it is in the box.

Do you know what a Big Knob does? How can Cubase possibly do that in
the box? The Big Knob provides multiple inputs and outputs as well as
hands-on controls. I suppose that you could assign outputs of a multi-
out sound card to different speakers and have on-screen buttons to
mute and un-mute them, and have an on-screen volume and mute control,
and what about the RIAA equalized phono input? And the headphone
outputs? And talkback mic?

Yeah. Like you say, if you ARE computer-based, Cubase 4's Control
Room very likely does everything you'd use the Knob for. Not quite
everything, and not necessarily in exactly the same way of course. But
if your mind is open to computer solutions, it's well worth a look.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

wrote:
Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called the
control room. It will kill things like the big knob and
it is in the box.

Do you know what a Big Knob does? How can Cubase possibly do that in
the box? The Big Knob provides multiple inputs and outputs as well as
hands-on controls. I suppose that you could assign outputs of a multi-
out sound card to different speakers and have on-screen buttons to
mute and un-mute them, and have an on-screen volume and mute control,
and what about the RIAA equalized phono input? And the headphone
outputs? And talkback mic?

Doh! I guess you haven't looked at Cubase/ Nuendo's control room
section! I guess you will now :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

On Mar 19, 12:05 pm, Romeo Rondeau wrote:

Doh! I guess you haven't looked at Cubase/ Nuendo's control room
section! I guess you will now :-)

No, I won't bother. For me, what the Big Knob and its brethren and
sistern provide is more input and output jacks and hands-on controls.
If your DAW hardware consists of a stereo audio interface, how's the
Control Room section going to help you switch between two sets of
monitors? Or connect a talkback mic? Or a turntable?

If you can tell me how the software control room section replaces
physical hardware, I'll take a look. Otherwise, I'll take a hike.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

On 19 Mar 2007 08:43:48 -0700, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

Doh! I guess you haven't looked at Cubase/ Nuendo's control room
section! I guess you will now :-)

No, I won't bother. For me, what the Big Knob and its brethren and
sistern provide is more input and output jacks and hands-on controls.
If your DAW hardware consists of a stereo audio interface, how's the
Control Room section going to help you switch between two sets of
monitors? Or connect a talkback mic? Or a turntable?

If you can tell me how the software control room section replaces
physical hardware, I'll take a look. Otherwise, I'll take a hike.

You're striking a silly attitude. Unless you can show me how a Big
Knob replaces your multitrack recorder?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] is offline

ups.com...
wrote:
:
: Doh! I guess you haven't looked at Cubase/ Nuendo's
control room
: section! I guess you will now :-)
:
: No, I won't bother. For me, what the Big Knob and its
brethren and
: sistern provide is more input and output jacks and
hands-on controls.
: If your DAW hardware consists of a stereo audio
interface, how's the
: Control Room section going to help you switch between
two sets of
: monitors? Or connect a talkback mic? Or a turntable?
:
: If you can tell me how the software control room
section replaces
: physical hardware, I'll take a look. Otherwise, I'll
take a hike.

I have a hardware solution myself but a lot of people
have lots of tracks in and as many outputs as inputs.
In a stereo system only two outputs are configured.
This means that if you have a 24 track DAW system, like
I do you, have 22 spare outputs. ( I actuall have 23
spare outputs since I use the SPDIF out to a high end
DAC and one out to run the midi click sounds back into
the board so I can mix it into the headsets)

You could make three 5.1 mixes and three stereo.

Or lotsa headsets out and a few stereo and a surround.
Get it?

Peace.
dawg
:
:

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Mar 19, 12:05 pm, Romeo Rondeau wrote:

Doh! I guess you haven't looked at Cubase/ Nuendo's control room
section! I guess you will now :-)

No, I won't bother. For me, what the Big Knob and its brethren and
sistern provide is more input and output jacks and hands-on controls.
If your DAW hardware consists of a stereo audio interface, how's the
Control Room section going to help you switch between two sets of
monitors? Or connect a talkback mic? Or a turntable?

Well, if you're monkeying around with toys...

If you can tell me how the software control room section replaces
physical hardware, I'll take a look. Otherwise, I'll take a hike.

See above...

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:05:44 -0400, Romeo Rondeau wrote
(in article ) :

wrote:
Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called the
control room. It will kill things like the big knob and
it is in the box.

Do you know what a Big Knob does? How can Cubase possibly do that in
the box? The Big Knob provides multiple inputs and outputs as well as
hands-on controls. I suppose that you could assign outputs of a multi-
out sound card to different speakers and have on-screen buttons to
mute and un-mute them, and have an on-screen volume and mute control,
and what about the RIAA equalized phono input? And the headphone
outputs? And talkback mic?

Doh! I guess you haven't looked at Cubase/ Nuendo's control room
section! I guess you will now :-)

Um, guys. I'm looking for a hardware solution.

Presonus makes something similar BTW.

Ty

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
JSVice JSVice is offline

. ..

wrote:
Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called the
control room. It will kill things like the big knob and
it is in the box.

Do you know what a Big Knob does? How can Cubase possibly do that in
the box? The Big Knob provides multiple inputs and outputs as well as
hands-on controls. I suppose that you could assign outputs of a multi-
out sound card to different speakers and have on-screen buttons to
mute and un-mute them, and have an on-screen volume and mute control,
and what about the RIAA equalized phono input? And the headphone
outputs? And talkback mic?

Doh! I guess you haven't looked at Cubase/ Nuendo's control room
section! I guess you will now :-)

Um, guys. I'm looking for a hardware solution.

Presonus makes something similar BTW.

Ty

I'm gonna have a Big Knob for sale here in a week or less. Just waiting on
my console to get in. I bought it new from Swee****er about a year ago.
Mint condition, and I still have the original box. Email me if you're
interested at

--
Thanks,
John

Acting and Voiceover Demos
http://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

: wrote:
: Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called
the
: control room. It will kill things like the big knob
and
: it is in the box.
:
: Do you know what a Big Knob does? How can Cubase
possibly do that in
: the box?

It sure as hell does and more and more of what the big
knob designers would wish it does. If you ever see the
demo you will know.

* Any output you setup in the DAW can be an input to
the control room.
* Multiple monitors can be selected and volume matched
if desired,
* Talkback mic and selectable routing
* Sends and outputs for cue mixes with presets
* It can also handle 2 tk, and every version of
surround you may want to use for mixdown.
* Single keystrokes to route surround to 2tk or mono
and 2tk to mono
* Single keystrokes to solo or mute speakers.
(individualy and by group)
* Volume controls that do not affect the mix level.
* No switching noise ( except maybe when you switch the
daw off and on.

Very well thought out.

The Big Knob provides multiple inputs and outputs as
well as
: hands-on controls.

Like I said multiple inputs and outputs but no hardware
for when the computer gets a mind of its own. That is
the only advantage I see unless you want to use it with
the computer off and another source or something.

: I suppose that you could assign outputs of a multi-
: out sound card to different speakers and have
on-screen buttons to
: mute and un-mute them, and have an on-screen volume
and mute control,

So did Charlie Steinberg, but he did something about
it.
THE CONTROL ROOM

And the headphone outputs?
Got it and with well thought out presets for what
drives the phones and you can insert compression or
limiters in the sends.

And talkback mic?
Can rout that too.
:

: and what about the RIAA equalized phono input?
Just like every console used for this job. The control
room assumes you have a phono stage for your moving
magnet Grado Statement cartridge. The Big Knob does not
have enough gain in it's phono input to handle the
0.5mV output of high quality cartridges. It needs
5-79mV input.

But who has a turntable any more and the OP did not
mention that.

Hey Mike! Did ya find that speaker and the designers
claims for the variovent to the another chamber?

peace
Dawg.
:
:
:

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

: wrote:
: Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called
the
: control room. It will kill things like the big knob
and
: it is in the box.
:
: Do you know what a Big Knob does? How can Cubase
possibly do that in
: the box?

It sure as hell does and more and more of what the big
knob designers would wish it does. If you ever see the
demo you will know.

You have made it clear that you do not understand what the Big Knob
offers.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

"hank alrich" wrote in message

: You have made it clear that you do not understand
what the Big Knob
: offers.

You are so observent and have great reading
comprehension. You are my hero!

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:

Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called the
control room. It will kill things like the big knob and
it is in the box. Their new organization for plugs and
the plugs that come with it are alone worth the price
and it is just a little more than the big knob.

But then again there is nothing like a big knob to
reach for when the computer decides to go its own way.

Reads to me like you have not met a Big Knob, and also do not understand
what's good about stuff that is not "in the box".

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 19, 11:29 am, Laurence Payne
There may be occasions where a
Big Knob is a godsend. But alongside a mixing desk, I find it
over-featured.

That's probably true, but it's intended to be used by people who don't
have a mixer. It answers the call from people who think they have a
whole studio in their computer and can't figure out how to do
something as simple as adjusting the listening volume without a few
mouse clicks.

Is it possible that there are contributors to this thread who HAVEN'T
even heard of Cubase 4's Control Room until today, but nevertheless
have opinions about it? :-)

I haven't heard of it and I don't have an opinion about it. But I will
question how it makes hardware where there's no hardware. That's the
most significant feature of the Big Knob.

If it can do that, please explain to me how.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Mar 19, 11:29 am, Laurence Payne
There may be occasions where a
Big Knob is a godsend. But alongside a mixing desk, I find it
over-featured.

That's probably true, but it's intended to be used by people who don't
have a mixer. It answers the call from people who think they have a
whole studio in their computer and can't figure out how to do
something as simple as adjusting the listening volume without a few
mouse clicks.

The Big Knob does exactly what the monitor control module on a typical
large format control does.

If you're stuck mixing on something like a Mackie console that has no
talkback and minimal monitor controls, it's a good addition.

If you're on a DAW it's a very handy addition as well.

If you're on an SSL it's totally superfluous.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Well, for starters you can assign any of your knobs from your controller
surface to do anything in the control section. Don't have a control
surface? My, my, my... however do you "mix with a mouse?"

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote in message

:
: Is it possible that there are contributors to this
thread who HAVEN'T
: even heard of Cubase 4's Control Room until today,
but nevertheless
: have opinions about it? :-)

I just got the demo earlier this month from the
Steinberg Rep, Greg Ondo. They rolled it out at NAM
last month.

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:00:30 GMT, "Deputy Dumbya Dawg"
wrote:

: Is it possible that there are contributors to this
thread who HAVEN'T
: even heard of Cubase 4's Control Room until today,
but nevertheless
: have opinions about it? :-)

I just got the demo earlier this month from the
Steinberg Rep, Greg Ondo. They rolled it out at NAM
last month.

What took you so long? We've been using it since early October 2006.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

: Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:
:
: Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called
the
: control room. It will kill things like the big knob
and
: it is in the box. Their new organization for plugs
and
: the plugs that come with it are alone worth the
price
: and it is just a little more than the big knob.
:
: But then again there is nothing like a big knob to
: reach for when the computer decides to go its own
way.
:
: Reads to me like you have not met a Big Knob, and
also do not understand
: what's good about stuff that is not "in the box".
:
: --
: ha
: Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Read the review in either Recording or Tape op dude. I
know exactly what it does and can't do. But don't worry
you will be seeing every other DAW copying something
just like it real soon. But of course the copies will
claim to be the original and the first ones with this
feature and they will have cooler sounding more
original names.

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:

Read the review in either Recording or Tape op dude.

I have. There are no hardware connections provided by the software.
There is no hardware phono preamp. Etc.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] is offline

"hank alrich" wrote in message
: Deputy Dumbya Dawg
wrote:
:
: Read the review in either Recording or Tape op
dude.
:
: I have. There are no hardware connections provided by
the software.
: There is no hardware phono preamp. Etc.

I did not remember a phono in from the review of the
big knob, so I just looked it up on the Mackie web page
spec sheet and it sure as **** does have a phono input
today on that spec sheet. And I do not recall any
software in the big knob, it is hardware.

If you do not understand the hardware connections of
the Cuebase IV CONTROL ROOM I can not help you there
but you need to understand that Control Room needs a
multiple out soundcard(s) not an M-Box or other stereo,
single mic at a time solution.

peace
dawg
:
: --
: ha
: Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

hank alrich wrote:
Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:

Read the review in either Recording or Tape op dude.

I have. There are no hardware connections provided by the software.
There is no hardware phono preamp. Etc.

Oooh, now THAT's a feature that EVERYBODY needs :-) You sure told him...
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
philicorda philicorda is offline

: Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:
:
[...]

Can you solo input channels to the control room speakers without it
affecting the headphone mixes?

I've been using a Cubase4 rig for some mixing, but did not get into the
new monitoring in any depth.

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_2_] is offline

"philicorda" wrote in
message

:: Can you solo input channels to the control room
speakers without it
: affecting the headphone mixes?

I seemed liked those two functions would be seperate
but I do not know for sure.

I can even do that with Nuendo 2.0 if I were to put the
phones out an aux, so long as the talent does not mind
the ................................latency!
:
: I've been using a Cubase4 rig for some mixing, but
did not get into the
: new monitoring in any depth.

Go for it dude.

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Geoff Geoff is offline

Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:
Look into Cuebase IV. It has a new feature called the
control room.

That's a coincidence. Cubase 4 has something similar.

Still , nothing like a physical control, independant of the vaguaries of a
computer to operate.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
. ..
My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Hi Ty,

I know it's on the expensive side but I really love my Coleman Audio M3PH
http://www.colemanaudio.com/

An alternative to the Mackie would be the NHT PVC pro
http://nhthifi.com/2006/products/pro/pvcpro.html About $149 street and looks
pretty nice (I haven't tried one)

John L Rice

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

"John L Rice" wrote in message
"Ty Ford" wrote in message
. ..
My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Hi Ty,

I know it's on the expensive side but I really love my Coleman Audio M3PH
http://www.colemanaudio.com/

An alternative to the Mackie would be the NHT PVC pro
http://nhthifi.com/2006/products/pro/pvcpro.html About $149 street and
looks pretty nice (I haven't tried one)

John L Rice

And don't forget the $99 A-Designs ATTY! :
http://www.adesignsaudio.com/atty.htm

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

John L Rice wrote:

"John L Rice" wrote...
"Ty Ford" wrote..
My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Hi Ty,

I know it's on the expensive side but I really love my Coleman Audio M3PH
http://www.colemanaudio.com/

That one has nice specs - .05 dB left-right tracking accuracy.

An alternative to the Mackie would be the NHT PVC pro
http://nhthifi.com/2006/products/pro/pvcpro.html About $149 street and
looks pretty nice (I haven't tried one)

John L Rice

And don't forget the $99 A-Designs ATTY! :
http://www.adesignsaudio.com/atty.htm

Anybody compared that directly to the PVC from NHT? I think I saw a
place selling it for the same $99.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

hank alrich wrote:
John L Rice wrote:

And don't forget the $99 A-Designs ATTY! :
http://www.adesignsaudio.com/atty.htm

Anybody compared that directly to the PVC from NHT? I think I saw a
place selling it for the same $99.

I thought the PVC had been discontinued.

Basically, all you care about is the tracking accuracy and how the thing
feels in your hand. That's the marvelous thing about simple designs...
there isn't much to screw up.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Mar 19, 3:51 am, Ty Ford wrote:
My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

No opinion on the MBK but other options that work well for me are
Coleman Audio MP3PH and Presonus Central Station. The cool feature of
the Central Station is the ability to control it with a corded remote
and move around in the room while A/Bing speakers.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

Ty Ford wrote:

My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Just found another bunch:

http://www.goldpt.com/

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

hank alrich wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:

My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Just found another bunch:

http://www.goldpt.com/

Those are some damn expensive pots :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Romeo Rondeau wrote:
hank alrich wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:

My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Just found another bunch:

http://www.goldpt.com/

Those are some damn expensive pots :-)

Yes, if you're going to be up in that range you might as well get the
ones from Shallco. Penny and Giles also makes some precision pots in
that price range too, but you'll have to put them in a box.

The difference between the $5 Alps pot from Radio Shack and the $450
P&G is that the P&G has four gangs so you can do real balanced line, and
it has extremely accurate tracking, so the right and left channels are
the same level and the balanced lines stay balanced.

The Goldpoint SA1-X, though, is a real stepped attenuator in a box for
$439, which is pretty good.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

Romeo Rondeau wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:

My combo amp for my older workstation is leaving the planet.

Anyone with Mackie Big Knob comments or other options?

Just found another bunch:

http://www.goldpt.com/

Those are some damn expensive pots :-)

Look again - those are not "pots".

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

WTB: Dynaco Knob graham Marketplace 0 January 27th 05 04:11 PM
Mackie Big Knob? EricK Pro Audio 42 July 22nd 04 06:40 PM
treble knob morphs into vol knob?!?! Gil Vacuum Tubes 3 June 6th 04 04:06 PM
$485.00 volume knob Wayne Van Kirk High End Audio 6 December 16th 03 11:17 PM