Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Default QUESTION: What could I get for my Soundstream Ref. 700?

Hey guys!! I would like to use a more powerful/efficient (efficient mostly)
amplifier to drive my subs. Right now I use a Soundstream Reference 700,
but when I'm really cranking the bass, the voltage drops from 14 down to
around 12 volts, and sometimes lower! I have looked into putting in a HO
alternator, the problem is NOBODY (and I have REALLY looked into this
including making some phone calls and exchanging Emails) makes an
aftermarket HO alternator for a '99 Subaru Forester.

So clearly a Class D amp would make a better choice to drive my two subs, a
pair of 12" MTX MXS (they are EXACTLY the same as the 7500 series, just
silver instead of black). But on Ebay, I see that even USED Class D
amplifiers in the 1000 watt RMS range (which is what I'm looking for) do not
come cheap, usually over $200 for used, over $400 for new.

My wife thinks I have spent ENOUGH on my car system (and I won't even BEGIN
to get into what she thinks about the home theater expenses), but I was
curious what I might get if I sell my current sub amp, a Soundstream Ref.
700sx. It is in PERFECT working order and in PERFECT physical shape. Any
ideas? Is it considered a classic? It would be nice if the proceeds of
that sale were enough (or at least close) to afford a good Class D amp.

Any thoughts? Any offers (LOL)? Thanks.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

That amp will get you around $200-$250 on fleabay, if you sell soon as this is
peak season.

See item # 9729924700

It's about time that you have seen the light, class A/B amps just have no
place now a days running subs, and you'll see that very clear once you make
your upgrade. Just don't buy something gay like a Jensen to run your subs, I
know you like them, but just don't do it.LOL Back on topic, your amp should
bring in enough cash to get you close to a MTX 1501D. As you might know I'm
running two of them on 4 type R's and these amps are sick and they don't heat
up at all. Even if you can find one cheap that is dead on Ebay, MTX will
repair it at a fixed rate of $95 with return shipping. The MTX 1501D is just a
model year older then the 1501D and has the same repair rate if you find one
dead.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Well, Nick. I absolutely LOVE my PG Xenon X1200.1 amp. I see some on eBay
for around that $400 upper-range price tag you mentioned. BTW...I really
don't think $400 for a 1200 watt amp is that bad, but I guess that's a
matter of reference from one person to another. I'm sure you could get at
least half that for your Soundstream.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Oops...forgot to add this: http://tinyurl.com/h5grt