Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Gareth Magennis

Default Vortexion Power Amplifier

Hi,

I have a Vortexion S120/200 Power amplifier here, it uses 8 EL34's. I am
confused by the output transformer though. It has 2 separate output
windings, one measuring 4.1 ohms and the other 4.5 ohms. Both windings go
to a slide switch marked 120V and 240V. (I assume the switch was an off the
shelf mains voltage selector switch). In one position the 2 windings are
paralelled. The other postion disconnects one winding and shorts it out ???
It arrived with a screw on cover locking the switch in the parallel
position.

With the switch in parallel position, the amp seems to have maximum output
at 32 Ohms, measuring about 176 Watts at 350 Hz sine before clipping. ( I
haven't gone higher that 32 ohms yet). At 4 ohms it can only manage 25
Watts. Changing switch position (carefully) always reduces power. I have a
schematic for the S30/50 version which shows a conventional output
transformer with taps for 4, 7.5 and 15 ohms, plus a 100 volt line. So what
might be the output transformer configuration on this one?

Thanks,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Gareth Magennis

Ah, just found out it has a "floating series parallel output for 100-120v or
200 - 250 volt". Now I need to find out what that means. I nned it to run
conventional speakers if possible.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Pooh Bear

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Hi,

I have a Vortexion S120/200 Power amplifier here, it uses 8 EL34's. I am
confused by the output transformer though. It has 2 separate output
windings, one measuring 4.1 ohms and the other 4.5 ohms. Both windings go
to a slide switch marked 120V and 240V.

You mean power transformer don't you ?

(I assume the switch was an off the
shelf mains voltage selector switch). In one position the 2 windings are
paralelled. The other postion disconnects one winding and shorts it out ???

Hardly likely is it ?

I expect you've misunderstood the way the voltage selector operates.

It arrived with a screw on cover locking the switch in the parallel
position.

120 V presumably ?

With the switch in parallel position, the amp seems to have maximum output
at 32 Ohms, measuring about 176 Watts at 350 Hz sine before clipping. ( I
haven't gone higher that 32 ohms yet). At 4 ohms it can only manage 25
Watts. Changing switch position (carefully)

What switch ? What are the marked postions ?

always reduces power. I have a
schematic for the S30/50 version which shows a conventional output
transformer with taps for 4, 7.5 and 15 ohms, plus a 100 volt line. So what
might be the output transformer configuration on this one?

100V line I expect.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Gareth Magennis

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Hi,

I have a Vortexion S120/200 Power amplifier here, it uses 8 EL34's. I
am
confused by the output transformer though. It has 2 separate output
windings, one measuring 4.1 ohms and the other 4.5 ohms. Both windings
go
to a slide switch marked 120V and 240V.

You mean power transformer don't you ?

(I assume the switch was an off the
shelf mains voltage selector switch). In one position the 2 windings are
paralelled. The other postion disconnects one winding and shorts it out
???

[...]

My mistake, the switch does actually change between series and parallel.
This is the output transformer, and it does have 2 independent windings
switched as above. I have since found out the amp is described as having a
"floating series parallel output for 100-120v or 200-250v", whatever that
means.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
[...]

My best (but not so good) guess is that this amp was designed for use with
50 and 100 volt loudspeaker distribution systems. The markings on the switch
are the result of repairs using a readily-available part for repair.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

[...]

Yes that seems a likely explanation.
I am familiar with Vortexion amps and also valve mixers from
the 1960s. Their amplifiers were intended for PA and factory use,
and often had one gram, one tuner, and one mic input (to announce
the tea-break)

They also produce a series of very good tape recorders using
the Wearite/Ferrograph deck-
I have a Vortexion CBL6 now fully restored.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/iain.churches...texionCBL6.jpg

The build quality of their equipment was exceptional, although
most of the industrial amps seem to have received rough treatment
over the years.

Most were painted (appropriately) in battleship grey:-)

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Gareth Magennis

"Iain Churches" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, it does look like it is a high voltage distribution amp, switchable to
100 - 120 volt line or 200 - 250 volt line. I have a photocopy of an advert
in Wireless world (Jan 1960) showing this amp, the 30/50 amp, a 12-channel
electronic mixer and a tape recorder. It says the amp "will deliver 120
Watts continuous and over 200 Watts peak Audio". I guess their rating of
100 - 120 v or 200 - 250 v follows from the 120 - 200 Watt claim (though my
dodgy mathematics makes this 120 Watts and 172 Watts with a constant 83.33
ohm load and 100 and 120 volt respectively). It is indeed battleship grey.

This amp belongs to a guy who wants to take it out with an old WEM column
speaker and a vintage Garrard deck and play vintage reggae vinyl to reggae
nuts. Being as I managed to get 175 Watts out of it into 32 ohms, would it
be OK to run it directly into 32 ohms worth of speakers? (hopefully we can
re-wire the WEM column to 32 ohms). The advert also claims "it is
completely stable with any type of load and may be used to drive motors or
other devices to over 120 Watts at frequencies from 20,000 down to 30 cps
....."

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Pooh Bear

Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

...."

WEM speakers I'm familiar with are usually 6 ohms btw. That's how they got 100W
out of a 70W into 8 ohms RCA SS amplifier design.

Graham

Dougie Anderson Dougie Anderson is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Magennis View Post
[...]

Hello Gareth !
My name is Doug Anderson from Pasadena, California, USA.
Could you tell me what you would charge for the Schematic of the Vortexion 30/50 ?
I have that ampifier here in new condition. Maybe the only one in the US !
I also have a like new Super 50. I do have that paper work.

Did you know that Dave Reeves worked for Vortexion before he started Hylight / Hiwatt ?

Anyway, please let me know & also what other Vortexion schematics you have.
My E-mail is :

CHEERS & REGARDS
Doug A.
Dougie Anderson Dougie Anderson is offline
Junior Member

[quote=Dougie Anderson;712343]Hello Gareth !
My name is Doug Anderson from Pasadena, California, USA.
Could you tell me what you would charge for the Schematic of the Vortexion 30/50 ?
I have that ampifier here in new condition. Maybe the only one in the US !
I also have a like new Super 50. I do have that paper work.

Did you know that Dave Reeves worked for Vortexion before he started Hylight / Hiwatt ?

Anyway, please let me know & also what other Vortexion schematics you have. Also, do you have a E-mail ?
My E-mail is : ( m )
No apostrophe.

CHEERS & REGARDS
Doug A.

Dougie Anderson Dougie Anderson is offline
Junior Member

[quote=Gareth Magennis;519924]Ah, just found out it has a "floating series parallel output for 100-120v or

Hello Gareth !
My name is Doug A.
I have a Vortexion 30/50 here in California. Maybe the only one in the US !
I am in need of the shcematic for this unit. It is like new, but a few things have been changed.

I also have a Super 50, that is like new. I do have paperwork for that unit.

Dave Reeves once workrd for Vortexion before he started Hylight / Hiwatt
electronics. I have talked to his son, Glynn many times !

Let me know how much you would charge for this schematic.
Paypal is OK.
Hi-Res scans are also OK.
I do not know if I can add a E-mail here.
But I can spread it out, so it may work.
t o n e z o n e @ t e c h i e . c o m

CHEERS & THANKS
Doug A.

KISS 113 by Andre Jute Andre Jute Vacuum Tubes 0 November 21st 04 05:44 PM
CLC: More John Stewart Vacuum Tubes 12 November 2nd 04 09:47 AM
List of NOS mostly tubes Engineer Vacuum Tubes 3 July 3rd 04 03:39 AM
FS: SOUNDSTREAM CLOSEOUTS AND MORE!! Nexxon Car Audio 0 November 21st 03 02:59 AM