John L Rice

Default Compact speakers for laptop/ipod recommendations?

"JemHH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I'd like to find a pair of small powered speakers for use in home
listening (mostly rock, jazz, and classical) from my laptop, or from my
ipod when I'm at work. Looking for something of audiophile quality
(warm midrange, crisp highs) but bass extension not really necessary. I
know that precludes a lot of small studio monitors. I always liked the
sound of the Genelec 1030's, though of course they are too big, boxy,
and heavy for what I need now. Anyone have experience with the new
8020's or 8030's? Other recommendations welcome. Can be pro audio or
consumer. All that really matters to me is sound quality and
portability. Looking to spend under $1200 for a pair.

Thanks very much,

Jeremy

Give the Dynaudio BM5A's a listen. They sound a tad 'boxy' to me at times
but over all an impressive speaker for the size and price ( under $1000 per
pair street )

--
John L Rice

Scott Dorsey

In article znr1124490729k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:
In article .com writes:

I'd like to find a pair of small powered speakers for use in home
listening (mostly rock, jazz, and classical) from my laptop, or from my
ipod when I'm at work.

I always liked the
sound of the Genelec 1030's, though of course they are too big, boxy,
and heavy for what I need now. Anyone have experience with the new
8020's or 8030's? Other recommendations welcome. Can be pro audio or
consumer. All that really matters to me is sound quality and
portability. Looking to spend under $1200 for a pair.

I recently borrowed a pair of Genelec 8030's (I think, the small ones
kind of the replacement for the 1029) and they sounded excellent. But
I don't think you're going to get a pair for $1200. Have you looked
into what Tannoy has to offer?

I like the 8020 and 8030 series. I think what I like about the whole
8000-line is that they are all voiced to sound the same, pretty much.
Not like the 1000 speakers where no two models were intended to sound
the same. As you go up the line, you get more low end extension, but
the same basic sound.

I think they sound a lot better than the 1030s, but then I was never
a huge fan of the 1030s. They are much less honky and much cleaner on
female vocals because of the reduced upper midrange resonances.

I agree with Mike about the Tannoy Reveal also, though. Very much
worth giving a listen to.

You might like the NHT M-00 as well, although personally I find them
too restricted on the bottom end.