Gravity

Default Wire gauge help

Hey guys, this is sort of off topic. I have a 700 watt power inverter I'm
hard wiring into my 2002 GMC Sonoma Ext. Cab. The inverter will be mounted
inside where the 3rd seat folds up, and the 120 Volt outlets will be placed
in the back of my consol (where the ash tray would go on a crew cab).

The inverter says its rated for 75A (inverter can peek at 900 Watts), and
the run from the battery is about 8-10 feet.
The run for the 120Volt wire (rated same amps) will be going about 4-5 feet.

What gauge wire should I get for both applications?

Thanks

DJ TecThreat

considering the size of the inverter and the length i'd run 2 guage all the
way... i have an inverter in my camper so i can fill up my fridge before i
leave and the food will stay cold on the 7 hour trip to where we camp....
i run 2 guage from the battery/switch back to a second plug on my hitch
thats water proof and rated for 150A and then from the connector to the
camper its 2 guage as well..... i also run a meter in the truck on the cable
to tell the load and i have 2 fans on the inverter it self to make sure
things dont get to hot.

DJ TecThreat

"Gravity" wrote in message
Hey guys, this is sort of off topic. I have a 700 watt power inverter I'm
hard wiring into my 2002 GMC Sonoma Ext. Cab. The inverter will be mounted
inside where the 3rd seat folds up, and the 120 Volt outlets will be

placed
in the back of my consol (where the ash tray would go on a crew cab).

The inverter says its rated for 75A (inverter can peek at 900 Watts), and
the run from the battery is about 8-10 feet.
The run for the 120Volt wire (rated same amps) will be going about 4-5

feet.

What gauge wire should I get for both applications?

Thanks

Bill Pallies

Not sure on the DC side, probably 2 or 0. On the AC side, however, you
should be able to use 12 AWG. If the inverter is rated at a peak of 900
watts, at 120 VAC, that's only 7.5 amps. My hairdryer at home probably pulls
this and it's on a 4 foot 16AWG cord. So why 12? Why not :-) ?

-Bill

"Gravity" wrote in message
Hey guys, this is sort of off topic. I have a 700 watt power inverter I'm
hard wiring into my 2002 GMC Sonoma Ext. Cab. The inverter will be mounted
inside where the 3rd seat folds up, and the 120 Volt outlets will be

placed
in the back of my consol (where the ash tray would go on a crew cab).

The inverter says its rated for 75A (inverter can peek at 900 Watts), and
the run from the battery is about 8-10 feet.
The run for the 120Volt wire (rated same amps) will be going about 4-5

feet.

What gauge wire should I get for both applications?

Thanks

Soundfreak03

Thanks, now what do you suggest using for the 120?

12/3 SO.

If your running anything bigger than that wire can carry you do not need to be
running it in your vehicle. (Special circumstances apply)

:Les