Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Confusion with mp3's

OK, I have one 8 hour mp3 I want to edit and save as separate mp3's.

I would like to split it into CD size chunks, i.e. 70 to 80 minutes. I
would also like to adjust the volume of each chunk to normalise, on a track
by track basis. i.e. take it into an editor and perform volume adjustments
manually.

What I don't want to do is to mp3 an mp3.

If I split it using Audacity and export that section into Wavelab (as a Wav)
to trim and adjust the levels, I then have to save it as am mp3 which means
I am mp3ing an mp3.

Is there a way to take an mp3 and edit in in mp3 land and save it as an mp3
without twp mp3 processes, or am I misunderstanding something?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

OK, I have one 8 hour mp3 I want to edit and save as separate mp3's.

I would like to split it into CD size chunks, i.e. 70 to 80 minutes. I
would also like to adjust the volume of each chunk to normalise, on a track
by track basis. i.e. take it into an editor and perform volume adjustments
manually.

What I don't want to do is to mp3 an mp3.

If I split it using Audacity and export that section into Wavelab (as a Wav)
to trim and adjust the levels, I then have to save it as am mp3 which means
I am mp3ing an mp3.

Is there a way to take an mp3 and edit in in mp3 land and save it as an mp3
without twp mp3 processes, or am I misunderstanding something?

Are you splitting into CD-sized chunks so it can be burnt to audio
CDs?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
[...]

Not necessarily but this would be very handy, but more just for the
convenience of being able to navigate easily the long file in desrcete
chunks.

Particularly to make things easier when loaded into a portable mp3 player.
Try keeping your finger on the fast forward button for 6 hours worth of
audio ............

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 03 Oct 2008, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote in rec.audio.pro:

OK, I have one 8 hour mp3 I want to edit and save as separate
mp3's.

I would like to split it into CD size chunks, i.e. 70 to 80
minutes. I would also like to adjust the volume of each chunk to
normalise, on a track by track basis. i.e. take it into an editor
and perform volume adjustments manually.

What I don't want to do is to mp3 an mp3.

There are utilities (so I'm told) that can split an MP3 into pieces
without conversion. However, any other editing such as volume or tone
changes will force you to re-encode. Ain't no way around it.

There is a system called mp3gain which embeds metadata into the mp3
that tells the player how to normalize the file. This shifts the task
to the player so you don't have to edit the file itself. Maybe that
will be useful in your situation.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Kotroczo Joe Kotroczo is offline

http://deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/

--
Joe Kotroczo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Joe Kotroczo" wrote in message
On 4/10/08 0:01, in article
,
"Gareth Magennis" wrote:

OK, I have one 8 hour mp3 I want to edit and save as separate mp3's.

I would like to split it into CD size chunks, i.e. 70 to 80 minutes. I
would also like to adjust the volume of each chunk to normalise, on a
track
by track basis. i.e. take it into an editor and perform volume
adjustments
manually.

What I don't want to do is to mp3 an mp3.

http://deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/

--
Joe Kotroczo

Ah, that looks like what I want. Thanks Joe.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

Are you splitting into CD-sized chunks so it can be burnt to audio
CDs?

Not necessarily but this would be very handy, but more just for the
convenience of being able to navigate easily the long file in desrcete
chunks.

OK. 'cos if that was the aim, obviously you'd convert to wav once and
leave it there.

You may be fussing too much. Do a test. Take a few minutes of your
recording, load it into a wav editor and then re-save as MP3. Can you
really hear any difference? It's not as if audiophile quality was
ever an issue, else it would never have gone near MP3 in the first
place! I think you'll find one further conversion makes minimal
audible difference and can happily do your editing as wav. You can
always burn a CD backup while it's a wav, which will cover your future
choices.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hueyduck Hueyduck is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote:

OK, I have one 8 hour mp3 I want to edit and save as separate mp3's.

I would like to split it into CD size chunks, i.e. 70 to 80 minutes. I
would also like to adjust the volume of each chunk to normalise, on a
track
by track basis. i.e. take it into an editor and perform volume
adjustments
manually.

What I don't want to do is to mp3 an mp3.

http://deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/

--
Joe Kotroczo

Ah, that looks like what I want. Thanks Joe.

Gareth.

You might want to have a look at mp3DirectCut too.

Changing the volume of a mp3, dynamically or not, is something that can
be done without decompressing and recompressing the mp3, with tools like
the ones we told you about. Not in an regular audio editor.

Be aware that audio CD uses 75fps and if you don't edit exactly at the
end of a frame, you might get digital clicks when playing the audio CD.
The only way to avoid this is to do your edits using only positions
snapped to 75fps. I don't know if this is possible without uncompressing
the waveform to PCM.

Huey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Gareth Magennis" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I did download a trial version of that but I can't get it to work
properly. I can't get it to fade out, though it will fade in. Volume
changes are just very flaky. Could just be me not understanding the
procedures, but the help files/manual are useless.

Pity, because on the face of it this could be an excellent piece of software
and just what I need. Very fast and efficient.

I have downloaded a few mp3 edit trial programs now and most are unable to
handle an 8 hour mp3 of around 760Mb, which I need to work with. Most just
crash while importing.

Wavelab gives an error message that it is trying to create a file larger
than Windows can handle. Other programs give a Windows System read/write
error, most just crash with no explanation. I suspect they all are trying
to generate illegal sized files.
Audacity handles them no problem at all, which is why I was using it to chop
the huge file into CD sized chunks to edit in Wavelab. I suspect this is
because Audacity uses its own file structure. Impressive programming from
the Audacity guys IMHO.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Hueyduck" wrote...
You might want to have a look at mp3DirectCut too.

Changing the volume of a mp3, dynamically or not, is something that can
be done without decompressing and recompressing the mp3, with tools like
the ones we told you about. Not in an regular audio editor.

Be aware that audio CD uses 75fps and if you don't edit exactly at the end
of a frame, you might get digital clicks when playing the audio CD.
The only way to avoid this is to do your edits using only positions
snapped to 75fps. I don't know if this is possible without uncompressing
the waveform to PCM.

The OP won't be writing any CDs if he wants to keep the MP3 encoding.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:
OK, I have one 8 hour mp3 I want to edit and save as separate mp3's.

I would like to split it into CD size chunks, i.e. 70 to 80 minutes. I
would also like to adjust the volume of each chunk to normalise, on a track
by track basis. i.e. take it into an editor and perform volume adjustments
manually.

What I don't want to do is to mp3 an mp3.

There are applications like mp3split and mp3trimmer which will allow you
to make crude edits to mp3 files. Because you can only cut on a block
boundary and you cannot do fades and dissolves, it limits you a lot. But
for what you want to do, it should be fine.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis wrote:
OK, I have one 8 hour mp3 I want to edit and save as separate mp3's.

I would like to split it into CD size chunks, i.e. 70 to 80 minutes. I
would also like to adjust the volume of each chunk to normalise, on a
track
by track basis. i.e. take it into an editor and perform volume
adjustments
manually.

What I don't want to do is to mp3 an mp3.

There are applications like mp3split and mp3trimmer which will allow you
to make crude edits to mp3 files. Because you can only cut on a block
boundary and you cannot do fades and dissolves, it limits you a lot. But
for what you want to do, it should be fine.

Hueyduck here had the best suggestion with mp3Direct Cut.
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

I had a lot of problems with it at first in that I just couldn't make it do
what I wanted it to do, but having persevered a bit I think I know now how
to make it work. I can cut, crop, select a region and adjust its volume,
and fade in and out. All in mp3 land. That's all I need to do.

The best thing is it will work very fast with large files, because it
doesn't draw a full stereo graphic of the audio, just a mono filtered
version of it. Brilliant programming. When the file is 700Mb this is
essential. Audacity takes 25 minutes to load and display this sized file.
mp3Direct Cut takes as long as it takes to load from hard drive or CD.

Well I'm sold. Well I would be if it wasn't Freeware.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in
message m
OK, I have one 8 hour mp3 I want to edit and save as
separate mp3's.
I would like to split it into CD size chunks, i.e. 70 to
80 minutes. I would also like to adjust the volume of
each chunk to normalise, on a track by track basis. i.e.
take it into an editor and perform volume adjustments
manually.
What I don't want to do is to mp3 an mp3.

Is there a way to take an mp3 and edit in in mp3 land and
save it as an mp3 without twp mp3 processes, or am I
misunderstanding something?

MP3Trim will trim the ends off of a MP3. Seems like you could make a number
of copies of a MP3, and trim the ends off as desired to obtain multiple
shorter MP3s. It will also do coarse level adjustments. I think there are
both freeware and shareware versions - google is your friend!

confusion with my amp chevy_layin_low via CarKB.com Car Audio 9 November 20th 06 03:43 PM
Impedance confusion .....? Mark Vacuum Tubes 15 December 30th 05 01:40 AM
6.1 Confusion Emir Audio Opinions 0 November 15th 05 09:14 PM
Newbie's confusion Massimo Caroli Pro Audio 2 October 23rd 03 04:43 PM
Dynaco Confusion John Templeton Vacuum Tubes 6 October 17th 03 01:30 PM