Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nobody Nobody is offline

Default K2 HD CD Mastering is What?

Hello,

Have not been around lately so sorry if this has been discussed, I did
search. I have seen reviews of this but nothing that actually explains
what JVC is doing. Claims of 100khz on a CD are of course ludicrous for
a process that is not encode/decode. Anybody know what they are doing?
Sound better?

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nobody wrote:
Have not been around lately so sorry if this has been discussed, I did
search. I have seen reviews of this but nothing that actually explains
what JVC is doing. Claims of 100khz on a CD are of course ludicrous for
a process that is not encode/decode. Anybody know what they are doing?
Sound better?

JVC has a nifty brochure, and all the XRCD discs describe it.

It's really nothing unusual at all... it's just straight 16 bit 44.1
with no fancy encoding (well, 20 bits dithered down), just with a lot
of attention to detail, a good oversampling converter, a lot of effort
spent in keeping the error rate low and the pit spacing accurate, and
competent engineers in the mastering room.

Get the XRCD reissue of Steve Miller's _The Joker_ or Mancini's _Charade_.
This is the kind of sound quality that is possible with straight ordinary
CD discs if people just spend the time to do it right.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nobody Nobody is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Nobody" wrote in message
. net...
Hello,

Have not been around lately so sorry if this has been discussed, I did
search. I have seen reviews of this but nothing that actually explains
what JVC is doing. Claims of 100khz on a CD are of course ludicrous for a
process that is not encode/decode. Anybody know what they are doing?
Sound better?

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

Apparently, there is a codec:
http://www.tech.co.uk/gadgets/portab...leid=127064186
but obviously, this can't be what is on the CD. The article seems to imply,
however, that JVC wants a codec based CD format, and further (correctly)
states that this would not be compatible with current players.

At the same time, JVC makes claims for a mastering process which, perhaps by
deliberate confusion, is also referred to as K2. But mastering in a high
resolution format is practiced by many of us already.

So it seems to me that, faced with the terrible uphill battle of replacing
Redbook, JVC uses a strategy of deliberate confusion: smoke and mirrors to
be followed by the real thing, if only they can generate a demand.

If my interpretation is correct, it's more than a little dishonest, yet I
wish them success. The audio world has become trapped in a downward spiral
of diminishing expectations. Perhaps JVC can reverse the trend.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Right,

I'm just a wannabe and I master my live recordings at 24/96. I don't
see a point in another codec. High resolution recordings are still
being released by audiophile labels on DVD-A and SACD, as well as
downloads. The mass market will never buy into the codec anyway.

I do agree something needs to be done for the mass market, but better
downloads may be the answer since the better disc formats were rejected.
I suppose there is an outside chance that a higher rez disc format
could be marketed if all the major labels supported it.

Y'all have fun,
Robert:-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nobody Nobody is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Nobody wrote:
[...]

--scott

But they claim K2 HD is not XRCD and vice versa:-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nobody wrote:

But they claim K2 HD is not XRCD and vice versa:-)

The XRCDs claim to be done with the K2 process. Is this different than
the "K2 HD" process? It could be.

The K2 process I am strongly in favor of, after listening to a lot of XRCDs.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

But mastering in a high
resolution format is practiced by many of us already.

Yeah, right. Listen, Bob, I spent a day with Jerry Tubb at Terra Nova. I
daresay you have used the term mastering loosely here.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Paul Stamler wrote:

Also the Fritz Reiner reissues, especially of Scheherazade!

Scott (or anyone), how would you compare that to the SACD reissue of
Scheherazade? I've heard that one was very well done also.

I haven't heard the SACD one.

But really, the original LP sounds spectacular, so there is no reason for
anything reproduced on a higher resolution format like CD or SACD to sound
any less than spectacular.

Any less would be a bungled transfer, and there is no reason to put up
with that. Unfortunately, most listeners do.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:04:58 GMT, Nobody wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Also the Fritz Reiner reissues, especially of Scheherazade!

Very cool; I'll have to get one. Love that Russian stuff. And
I love Reiner. (who doesn't?)

Much appreciated. I can compare that to the shaded dog and the BMG CD
reissue that Wilma Cozart oversaw. I should get the Classic records
version some day if I can find a sealed copy that is not the cost of a
new car.

And no, my shaded dog is not a good condition 1S. Wish it was even close!

Just my opinion, and not worth much, is that the Chesky
vinyl of Scheherazade was better than any Shaded Dog. If
you like playing with vinyl, maybe one of these is more
easily available; dunno.

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's for compatibility with 8-Track."
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:36:49 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Also the Fritz Reiner reissues, especially of Scheherazade!

Scott (or anyone), how would you compare that to the SACD reissue of
Scheherazade? I've heard that one was very well done also.

You got my interest too. Checked on Amazon, where the JVC's,
selling for a spectacular $31.98 and up used, are currently
unavailable new, the 1996 RCA's sell for $11.98, and the
2005 hybrid RCA SACD's sell for $10.99.

Of course the market's always a fashion victim, but it does
mean that you've raised an especially interesting question.

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's for compatibility with 8-Track."
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott (or anyone), how would you compare that to the SACD reissue of
Scheherazade? I've heard that one was very well done also.

I forgot to say that the SACD appears to be a three-track
to three-track transfer. Curiouser and curiouser.

Ok, I've ordered one; now to figure out what to do with it...

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's for compatibility with 8-Track."
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message ...

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Soundhaspriority wrote:

But mastering in a high
resolution format is practiced by many of us already.

Yeah, right. Listen, Bob, I spent a day with Jerry Tubb at Terra Nova. I
daresay you have used the term mastering loosely here.

Anything to add to the thread?

Bedroom mastering isn't really mastering ?

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Soundhaspriority wrote:

But mastering in a high
resolution format is practiced by many of us already.

Yeah, right. Listen, Bob, I spent a day with Jerry Tubb at Terra Nova.
daresay you have used the term mastering loosely here.

Anything to add to the thread?

Bedroom mastering isn't really mastering ?

;-)

I have spoken to Hank, and he really is a nice guy, with a touch of modesty.
Maybe he didn't get laid.

Oh, but I did, and well. Sure, I spent almost six weeks in Austin
without my honey, but Threadgill's flew us both back down here for the
reopening of the new Old #1 and a series of musical engagements. We've
been together nearly 34 years, and our affection and outright lust for
each other waneth not. Hence, me not getting laid is about the last
thing anyone should consider.

My point was that there seems to be a degree of posturing in your
statement, ill considered, in my view.

One cannot help those early on their path by pretending to equipment and
skills that are available to a relative handful of serious mastering
practitioners. And a day with the likes of Jerry is a fine reminder of
the differences between my own "mastering" and work of his caliber.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

BuzzardButt wrote:

unh hunh

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nobody Nobody is offline

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:04:58 GMT, Nobody wrote:

stuff removed (Y'all should do this)

Just my opinion, and not worth much, is that the Chesky
vinyl of Scheherazade was better than any Shaded Dog. If
you like playing with vinyl, maybe one of these is more
easily available; dunno.

You sure about Chesky, I thought the audiophile vinyl was Classic
Records only.

Thanks and yep,
bought VPI Scoutmaster/JMW9Sig/TNT Mini Feet/Shelter501 II:-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,rec.audio.opinion,alt.movies.cinematography
Mark Mark is offline

In just a few short months, I've purchased the required equipment and can
record and master professional-sounding albums. *And unlike the film
business to which access is jealously guarded by rich jews in Los Angeles,
the music business is still open to all with talent. *As I've proven.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

So was the the EVIL Bob or the regular Bob speaking?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:27:38 -0500, Nobody wrote:

Just my opinion, and not worth much, is that the Chesky
vinyl of Scheherazade was better than any Shaded Dog. If
you like playing with vinyl, maybe one of these is more
easily available; dunno.

You sure about Chesky, I thought the audiophile vinyl was Classic
Records only.

Chesky did their transfers back in the mid-1990's or so.
They refurbed an Ampex 300 three-track for playback and
built a minimalist three-to-two channel mixer. It was
"audiophile" for its era, anyway. Pretty nice pressings
in a difficult time for pressings.

Sounds great to me, but what do I know? Shaded dogs of
*any* popular title will have been played with an icepick
at some time in their lives, which is now old enough
to be a grandparent. (But I do have *one* that plays real
good - lovely.)

Scott has recommended the JVC CD - that's good enough for me.
Got my ear to the ground. And the SACD version with three
raw tracks is dirt cheap, so maybe the vinyl isn't really
so necessary anymore.

Durned shame that my _Love for Three Oranges_ isn't worth $700
anymore, but I wouldn't have sold it anyway... Well...

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's for compatibility with 8-Track."

Posted to rec.audio.pro,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.opinion,alt.energy.homepower
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 19 Oct, 01:57, Soundhaspriority wrote:
On 3/21/08 1:57 AM, in article , "hank

alrich" wrote:
Soundhaspriority wrote:

But mastering in a high
resolution format is practiced by many of us already.

Yeah, right. Listen, Bob, I spent a day with Jerry Tubb at Terra Nova. I
daresay you have used the term mastering loosely here.

While you excel at derision, you are just jealous that I've discovered the
"secret" of mastering, and have become a very skilled mastering engineer.
Like most of pro audio, it's a lot of smoke and mirrors, and now that the
tools are available to everyone we're all discovering what a scam this is..

In just a few short months, I've purchased the required equipment and can
record and master professional-sounding albums. *And unlike the film
business to which access is jealously guarded by rich jews in Los Angeles,
the music business is still open to all with talent. *As I've proven.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

I find it ironic that both Bwian and his alter go Blob
are both failed recording moguls. But Blob is
the more successful of the two, because "at least" he wears a funny
hat.

DVD mastering? [email protected] Pro Audio 3 June 8th 07 12:06 AM
Mac CD mastering app Geoff Tech 1 December 6th 06 09:52 PM
CD mastering on Mac. Jakub Hadraba Pro Audio 65 November 11th 06 02:07 PM
Mastering [email protected] Pro Audio 1 October 3rd 05 03:25 PM
CD Mastering kw Pro Audio 7 June 21st 05 04:58 PM