Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default Tube amp with Magnepans?

I picked up a pair of MG-1 electrostatic speakers.

They are nominally rated at 5 ohms impedance.

I am interested in suggestions for minimum wattage and brand of tube amps
that might drive them nicely. Or should I venture into the dark side?

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Jon Yaeger wrote:

I picked up a pair of MG-1 electrostatic speakers.

They are nominally rated at 5 ohms impedance.

I am interested in suggestions for minimum wattage and brand of tube amps
that might drive them nicely. Or should I venture into the dark side?

Jon

I successfully used MG-IIb's with tubes for years. Magenpan's of this sort
have an almost resistive impedance (confirmed by measurement), so damping
factor isn't a huge concern. I would aim for push pull pentodes or beam power
tubes, with power in the order of 50-100W. The only real issue here is
adequate power output to combat the low efficicency of the speakers, but this
will most likely be limited by the rather low maximum SPL of the speakers and
not the amplifier. Obviously, the quality of the output transformer is no
less critical than ever, and it will determine the overall quality of the
sound.

I love my MG-IIb's with classical music, especially strings. I would say
they're the best violin and cello speakers I own. For anything else, they are
much less good.

Your REAL issue here, is going to be making sure that the aluminum voice coil
wire is still adhered to the pastic membrane. Early Magnepan speakers have
some known problems with voice coil and adhesive breakdown, and if they
haven't been serviced before, they will require attention almost for sure.
The early adhesive not only fails, but when exposed to UV begins to attack
the aluminum wire, leaving it brittle and full of a green residue. A web
search will turn up numerous descriptions of how to address this problem - in
my instance it drove them into the closet, as I got tired of their
limitations.

OH - one more point. The speakers are very directional in the higher octaves,
and placement is very critical. It is also important to have them far out
from the wall, to give them some breathing room.

In general, if you are serious about Magneplanars, and like your MG-1's a
lot, I would seriously consider replacing them with a better model rather
than upgrading amplification, because MG-1's have a lot of well documented
technical limitations which will prevent you from hearing subtle differences
in amplification.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
I picked up a pair of MG-1 electrostatic speakers.

They are nominally rated at 5 ohms impedance.

I am interested in suggestions for minimum wattage and brand of tube amps
that might drive them nicely. Or should I venture into the dark side?

**Worrying about amplification for Maggies, is the least of your troubles.
Maggies, like all panel type speakers will be VERY room dependent and
position sensitive. Be prepared to spend many hours finding exactly the
right spot for them. Having said that, the pay-off may well be worth it for
you.

[Anecdote] Many years ago, I was exhibiting at a local hi fi show (well
before the dreaded home cinema reared it's ugly head). Naturally, I wandered
into all the other rooms. There was, as usual, a lot of very exotic and
expensive equipment available. One of the worst rooms was the one with the
Audio Note AUS$140,000.00 SET amplifier in it. However, one of the best
sounding rooms was the one with the little Maggies (I think they were about
AUS$2k a pair). I think they were MG-1a or something like that. The sound
was excellent. Far better than most of the rooms with expensive and highly
regarded products therein. And, for a person who is not overly fond of tube
amps, I was surprised to find that they were very competently driven by an
Audio Research tube amp. I suspect it was largely because the demonstrator
took the time and effect to set them up correctly.

Intrigued, I acquired a pair of the speakers and mucked around with them.
They are a dead-easy speaker to drive (provided your amp can cope with 4
Ohms), as the impedance curve is essentially resistive in nature. This makes
them an excellent match for most competent transistor or tube amps. Even
incompetent amps will find few issues with Maggies.

Having said all that, I will say again: Location, location, location. These
are the three most important things to worry about with Maggies. Worrying
about amplification is a minor distraction. A movement of (say) 2cm will
make a far larger impact on the sound that swapping between (competent)
amplifiers. Be they transistor or valve.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Jon Yaeger"

I picked up a pair of MG-1 electrostatic speakers.

They are nominally rated at 5 ohms impedance.

** ROTFL !!!!!!!!

Magneplaners are NOT electrostatic speakers !!!!!!

You dumb prick.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jan 26, 2:33*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
I picked up a pair of MG-1 electrostatic speakers.

They are nominally rated at 5 ohms impedance.

I am interested in suggestions for minimum wattage and brand of tube amps
that might drive them nicely. *Or should I venture into the dark side?

Jon

Just snagged a pair of SMGas, as it happens.

The MG-1 suffers from glue-rot, I am told. So check that first.
Magnapan will sell you a repair kit if yours are suffering from this
problem. Like vintage electrolytics, it is a matter of _when_, not
_if_. Further, Magnapan will repair them as well for a fee.

They want a LOT of power to make reasonable sound. I intend to use a
Citation 16 (200wpc/rms @ 4ohms) to drive mine. I also have a Scott
LK150 (75wpcPP6550 - optimistic). But the room they will be in is
25feet x 17 feet x 10 foot ceiling, so I am expecting the need for
power.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , maxhifi at wrote on
1/26/08 4:16 PM:

Jon Yaeger wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the great advice and insight.

I remembered that among my projects is the rebuilding of a Citation II,
which ought to be able to drive them, especially if I use KT90s.

I swapped some gear with a tech friend who just moved to Las Vegas. The
speakers had been stored there, and the good part of that is the long-term
low humidity. He checked them out and said they were OK, but I expect that
something will have to be done eventually to the film.

My "other" set of speakers are JBL Century 100s. I got the Maggies to
experiment with; I wonder if I will prefer them over the JBLs.

Best regards,

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , Trevor Wilson at
wrote on 1/26/08 4:56 PM:

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Trevor.

My office is cluttered and I probably won't have the luxury of being able to
place them anywhere. But I shall move them about.

Cheers.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article
, Peter
Wieck at
wrote on 1/26/08 8:09 PM:

[...]

Thanks, Peter.

I checked with the factory (1st of all to spend $50 on boxes to properly
ship them) and also the kit, which I had heard about. They won't ship it
until the spring, because winter temperatures will damage it.

I'm thinking about a Citation II, but a lot of time needs to go into that
project to complete it (new sockets, PCBs, Jim McShane's PS mods, etc.)

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jon Yaeger wrote:

I picked up a pair of MG-1 electrostatic speakers.

They are nominally rated at 5 ohms impedance.

I am interested in suggestions for minimum wattage and brand of tube amps
that might drive them nicely. Or should I venture into the dark side?

Jon

Er Jon, the Maggies are not electrostatic; see the m-a-g in their name?

They are bipolar, and radiate sound rearwards and frontwards, so they
need a good room and good placement.
They comprise bass panels with attatched voice coils with a mid/treble
ribbon top to bottom
down one side of the bass panel. Well, the last pair I auditioned here
were like that,
and were about 1.2M tall and 450mm wide.

A customer of mine wanted to buy a pair and trialed them here in
comparison to an early
version of my dynamic speakers I'd built using 12" Electrovoice bass in
120litres for 20Hz to 250Hz,
2 x 200mm asian generic paper coned el cheapos 250Hz to 3kHz,
and a Response 25mm dome tweeter.
This way he could evaluate the Maggies, my amps, and my speakers all at
once,
and I would know whether Maggies were any better/worse than what i could
build.
He'd been sucked out dry by a wife in a bitter divorce and was
re-equipping his new abode.

We spent two nights of evaluations with a wide range of music in my very
decent listening room.

The amp we used was an 8585 with 4 x GE6550A per channel, with high
amount of class A,
so pretty decent amps, imho.

The maggies did not have a wide soundstage or as much treble detail or
have as much bass as my
own speakers in relation to the midrange. We both agreed they didn't cut
the mustard as well as what I'd made,
but because the price was only aud $700 being asked, the guy bought them
anyway, knowing
he could boost the treble and bass with his tone controls if he wanted
to.
We had them ideally placed, and did try various positions, but it didn't
seem to help them.
I don't want to buy a pair.
Later I made another lot of speakers using all SEAS drivers and these
were easily MUCH better than
the asian drivered speakers I'd compared to the maggies, which means the
maggies
are even worse than what I have already said.

Sensitivity was about the same; somewhat deceptive though. Switching to
the maggies after mine was like
being moved immediately to the back seat of the concert room.

Trevor Wilson takes the opportunity in this thread to say again how
crummy and awful some SET
amp was somewhere but don't listen to his fact free crapppy tripe on
SET.

He likes to **** in our r.a.t loungeroom nearly every time he
"discusses"
SET amps.

SET amps would be VERY GOOD with a speaker like the maggies.
It would not matter too much if the Rout was a bit high from the SET
because
of the maggie's flat impedance curves.
If there was any type of amp the Trevor Wilsons of this world might
complain about
it could be any OTL amp using tubes because the OTL amp you do see
occasionally
sometimes do have appallingly high Rout, since there is no OPT to
transform the
Ra of the tubes down to get low Rout and also a good load match.
However, if anyone buys a ZeroImpedance toroidal matching transformer
which can RAISE the ohmic load seen by the amplifier then the OTL
then becomes a good amp to use; 5 ohms maggie Z is a bit low for many
OTL.
Also low for many SE amps which have been made to suit 8 ohms.

But whatever the amp, it WILL need sufficient power, and most SET amps
don't have much power,
simply because there ain't enough 300Bs on the chassis etc....

Probably a 50 watt amp is more than enough for most ppl, and if SET amps
is all you had, you'd need to have them carefully matched to the average
load,
and able to make at least 35 watts, and then at moderate levels you
might
get reasonable sound.

The guy here who bought his second hand maggies for $700 used an old NAD
receiver
with about 35 Watts of SS power per channel, and he wasn't complaining
when I visited him one day and had a listen.

I will never forget my first experience of a pair of decent SET amps
back in 1996
shortly after I'd joined the Audiophile Society of NSW ( ASON ).
There was a meeting at a leading Sydney high-end dealer's shop where
several systems were being demoed in various rooms.
In one, 15 of us sat around listening to a system with
100W per channel Gryphon Class A PP SS amp and some high end ARC preamp
and a good cd player.
Speakers were two 4-way towers of stacked enclosures with sensitive
drivers, with a system value of
maybe $50,000.

Sound over a range of CDs wasn't too bad, generic SS, and as "accurate"
as anyone could hope for.

Then after about 40 minutes, the power amp was changed to a pair of
class A 23 watt SET amps with little NFB.

Instead of bland boring "accuracy", we had real lively foot tapping
dynamic musical music.
14 guys suddenly heard the veil lift and music begin; it was a night and
day experience.
But one poor guy of the 15 wasn't happy at all. He'd just bought a
Gryphon,
and had to admit the SE triodes sounded far better!!!

The power levels used in demos like this seldom rise beyond the 5 watt
peak level, mostly
less than a watt average levels. I've been to several meetings where the
amps used
had power meters, and power used was very low;
a classic example was where two ARC Reference 600 Watt monos
were being used to drive top range Thiel speakers, and the power meters
hardly moved at all,
and the PO being used could not be
measured because it was so low, yet the speakers easily filled the room
with sound.

In the ASON newsletter after that meeting I went on to describe the ARC
600 watt amps as being like a Rolls Royce,
but with 16 driving wheels because there are 16 x 6550 within each mono
amp,
and were something I couldn't want to own, because they'd own me, and
two driving wheels are plenty.

I have since learnt how utterly ****fully ARC build their amps, and most
definately cannot
recomend anyone ever buy one, unless its a lower power early model that
can be re-enginered
for reliablity.

So anything with a pair of KT88/KT90/6550 will do for maggies, a pair of
modded Dynaco Mk-III would be fine.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
WindsorFox-{SS}- WindsorFox-{SS}- is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

They are bipolar, and radiate sound rearwards and frontwards, so they
need a good room and good placement.

You know, amazingly that sentence describes about 60% of the posters
in re.audio.*

--
"Yah know I hate it when forces gather in ma' fringe..." - Sheogorath

"Daytime television sucked 20 years ago,
and it still sucks today!" - Marc Bissonette
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Thanks for your helpful reply, Phil.

Now why don't you go back to tearing the wings off of flies, or whatever you
do in your spare time.

Jon

On 1/26/08 6:55 PM, in article , "Phil
Allison" wrote:

"Jon Yaeger"

I picked up a pair of MG-1 electrostatic speakers.

They are nominally rated at 5 ohms impedance.

** ROTFL !!!!!!!!

Magneplaners are NOT electrostatic speakers !!!!!!

You dumb prick.

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Jon Yaeger"

Thanks for your helpful reply, Phil.

** Helping a vile piece of garage vermin like you, Yaeger, is the last
thing anyone ought do.

........ Phil

"Jon Yaeger"

I picked up a pair of MG-1 electrostatic speakers.

They are nominally rated at 5 ohms impedance.

** ROTFL !!!!!!!!

Magneplaners are NOT electrostatic speakers !!!!!!

You dumb prick.

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

I remembered that among my projects is the rebuilding of a Citation II,
which ought to be able to drive them, especially if I use KT90s.

I think those amps deserve better speakers, honestly. They're some of the best
vintage amps ever made, and would be truly wasted on MG-1's! Of course, any excuse
to rebuild them, is of course a valid one!

My "other" set of speakers are JBL Century 100s. I got the Maggies to
experiment with; I wonder if I will prefer them over the JBLs.

I have a feeling it'll be MG's for some stuff, and the JBL's for everything else.
My personal opinion, and experience is nothing touches a good set of Tannoy
speakers. A set of expensive Tannoys connected to that Citation would be almost
enough to kill the entire desire to upgrade your hi-fi.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , maxhifi at wrote on
1/27/08 6:35 PM:

I remembered that among my projects is the rebuilding of a Citation II,
which ought to be able to drive them, especially if I use KT90s.

I think those amps deserve better speakers, honestly. They're some of the best
vintage amps ever made, and would be truly wasted on MG-1's! Of course, any
excuse
to rebuild them, is of course a valid one!

My "other" set of speakers are JBL Century 100s. I got the Maggies to
experiment with; I wonder if I will prefer them over the JBLs.

I have a feeling it'll be MG's for some stuff, and the JBL's for everything
else.
My personal opinion, and experience is nothing touches a good set of Tannoy
speakers. A set of expensive Tannoys connected to that Citation would be
almost
enough to kill the entire desire to upgrade your hi-fi.

Yes, you are not alone in your opinion of the II. My only "problem" is that
I'll have to do a complete rebuild, e.g. sockets, power supply, etc. My
neighbor designed a nice set of replacement glass PCBs (he has or had 3 or 4
of the amps) that seem to have lower noise than the stock variety. Spare
time is a premium . . .

I've never heard the Tannoy. It would be a good thing if I finally found
the "holy grail" combination. Another very experienced friend said he felt
the Eico HF87 or Acrosound UL2s were better sounding than the Citation. We
shall see, eventually!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Jon:

Ignore that poor excuse of a poltroon behind the curtain... .

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Yes, you are not alone in your opinion of the II. My only "problem" is that
I'll have to do a complete rebuild, e.g. sockets, power supply, etc. My
neighbor designed a nice set of replacement glass PCBs (he has or had 3 or 4
of the amps) that seem to have lower noise than the stock variety. Spare
time is a premium . . .

I know what you mean - it took me 4 years to get to my Dynaco ST -70 mentioned
below. I'm sure glad I did, though.

I've never heard the Tannoy. It would be a good thing if I finally found
the "holy grail" combination.

I strongly suggest to hear them - new ones are just amazing. In a class of their
own, in my opinion.

If you can hear something from the classic series set up properly, with good
equipment and recordings, and in a good room, you'll be in for a treat which
exceeds all expectations.

Another very experienced friend said he felt
the Eico HF87 or Acrosound UL2s were better sounding than the Citation. We
shall see, eventually!

I don't own any of the above - have an uncle who has owned a Cit. II since it was
new, haven't heard the others. I just know from my experience with Magnepans, that
the model you own is seriously outclassed by something like the Citation.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

Default Phil : The Goddess Speaks

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
On Jan 27, 4:00 pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Jon Yaeger"

Thanks for your helpful reply, Phil.

** Helping a vile piece of garage vermin like you, Yaeger, is the last
thing anyone ought do.

....... Phil

Quit queefing on our otherwise erudite (well, except for McCoy)
newsgroup, you ****ish loser.

At least Phil is honest, perhaps brutally honest, but no one can say that he
is pretentious. At least we're keeping this bs thread going for the
self-conscious Yeager who finally hit the mother load. Don't let them rile
you, Phil. I'm a fan and if the 3 characters start snipping at your ankles
just spray them in the snout with a water pistol filled with ammonia. It's
not often one can coral the aforesaid pretentious degenerates together.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
I picked up a pair of MG-1 electrostatic speakers.

For who and are they in working condition?

They are nominally rated at 5 ohms impedance.

I am interested in suggestions for minimum wattage and brand of tube amps
that might drive them nicely. Or should I venture into the dark side?

No keep the sex with someone of an opposite gender.

.....and as you so often told me ...DO THE EXPERIMENTS YOURSELF AND STOP
LOOKING FOR OTHERS TO DO THE WORK FOR YOU.

unsigned out of barf, excuse me, nauseating contempt.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article gkdnj.6017$O9.3690@trnddc01, West at wrote on
1/28/08 12:01 AM:

[...]

You remind me of a wannabe in my high school who was usually affable but not
very bright.

At this prep school, insults and one-upmanship were prized as much as
debate. After someone delivered a pointed coup de grace, the best this
unfortunate chap could muster was, "well . . . you eat ****, too."

I'm not sure what you are trying to do on RAT except gain distinction as an
annoying and moronic troll . . . in addition to being Andre's tossed salad
boy.

Let's see . . . is a "mother load" what fell on its head when you were
born?

If you coral pretentious degenerates, does that mean that they are your
anemones?

Do tell.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
WindsorFox-{SS}- WindsorFox-{SS}- is offline

Phil Allison wrote:
"Jon Yaeger"

Thanks for your helpful reply, Phil.

** Helping a vile piece of garage vermin like you, Yaeger, is the last
thing anyone ought do.

....... Phil

Hmmm, looks like you've got that a little bass ackwards judging from
this thread.

--
"Yah know I hate it when forces gather in ma' fringe..." - Sheogorath

"Daytime television sucked 20 years ago,
and it still sucks today!" - Marc Bissonette
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jan 28, 12:01*am, "West" wrote:

At least Phil is honest, perhaps brutally honest, but no one can say that he
is pretentious.

Pillock

Phil suffers from Tourette's Syndrome and cannot help himself. But few
here would dispute his knowledge.

You, on the other hand, can. And as one who is both pretentious _and_
dishonest you are perhaps the last who should comment, especially on
that which is beyond your experience or knowledge.

As to MG-1s. they are a speaker of long and illustrious history,
represent the first of their kind and, along with all that have LOTS
of potential problems depending on what has happened to them over the
years since they were made. Accordingly, Jon is asking a perfectly
legitimate question from a group that should have at least a few
individual with direct experience with the species.

Phil would have done well to sit on his fingers. But he did not
because he cannot - AND he did have a piece of correct information.
You would have done well to sit on yours but you did not because you
chose not to - and unlike Phil you have nothing useful to contribute
and know nothing useful as well.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jan 27, 1:27*am, Jon Yaeger wrote:

I checked with the factory (1st of all to spend $50 on boxes to properly
ship them) and also the kit, which I had heard about. *They won't ship it
until the spring, because winter temperatures will damage it.

Further to this, manuals for the range of Magnepan Speakers may be
found at:

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/pix/index.html

It is going to be an adventure with my SMGas when they arrive. The
room they will be in is 24' x 17' x 10' (7.32m x 5.18m x 3.05m) and
pretty lively. All that I have been able to gather suggests that these
sorts of speakers want a large room and are acutely sensitive to
placement. I hope that Jon's double-wide is large enough ;-).

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Peter Wieck"

** A totally ****ed in the head ****.

Just like most dumbass Septic Yank piles of human ****.

.......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jan 28, 9:13*am, "Phil Allison" wrote:

** A totally ****ed in the head ****.

Just like most dumbass Septic Yank piles of human ****.

Try to write something nice about a guy..... ;-b

Now, why is Septic capitalized and dumbass not?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Fred[_8_] Fred[_8_] is offline

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message ...
On Jan 27, 1:27 am, Jon Yaeger wrote:

I checked with the factory (1st of all to spend $50 on boxes to properly
ship them) and also the kit, which I had heard about. They won't ship it
until the spring, because winter temperatures will damage it.

Further to this, manuals for the range of Magnepan Speakers may be
found at:

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/pix/index.html

It is going to be an adventure with my SMGas when they arrive. The
room they will be in is 24' x 17' x 10' (7.32m x 5.18m x 3.05m) and
pretty lively. All that I have been able to gather suggests that these
sorts of speakers want a large room and are acutely sensitive to
placement. I hope that Jon's double-wide is large enough ;-).

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

** Peter,

SMGa's make wonderful near-field speakers, set up maybe 3 feet
in front of the listener's seat and spread out 4 feet or so apart, toed in.
30 watts of tube power per channel in this case is more than enough.

Fred

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jan 28, 12:55*pm, "Fred" wrote:
"Peter Wieck" wrote in ...

[...]

Fred:

Thank you. We will certainly have plenty of room in which to
experiement. And I have tube amps ranging from 15 watts to 75 watts,
SS amps from 40 watts to 200 watts to play with. I am leaning towards
tubes in this application - but time will tell.

Funny thing, you are the first to suggest 'near-field' placement, but
all seem to agree that some distance from the wall between 2 and 4
feet and 'toed in' to the sweet-spot. Ah, well.

More fun to be had.

Thanks again.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"maxhifi" wrote in message ...
[...]

Interesting observation. My own quest for speakers to suit
my taste, has resulted in similar conclusions. Tannoy, JBL
(and of course B+W 801D)

Iain