Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Found a suitable CD transport!

It's called a C.E.C. TL51X

http://www.cec-web.co.jp/products/cd.../tl51xr_e.html

It accepts an external clock and syncs on it as the main clock. Has all the
correct digital outputs and is available from a store called Bluemoon Audio
in Berkeley CA for about $1400.

http://www.bluemoonaudio.com/products_cec1.php

This is the belt-drive transport I remember. They also make an over-the-top
transport called the TL0X for $15,000, but that's just a bit excessive,
even for an academic exercise like this.

Final Total:

Apogee Rosetta 200 2-channel, 24-bit 192KHz DAC/ADC - $2000
Apogee "Big-Ben" Master clock generator - $1500
C.E.C. TL51X belt-drive CD transport - $1400

Total - $4900

Or with Antelope rubidium clock - $7900

or, $15,000 cheaper than the DCS Puccini (with rubidium clock)
and $18,000 cheaper with the Apogee precision clock.

Heck, I'd like to build one just to see how well it performs. but , alas...

Thanks everybody for all of your input - even from those who didn't
understand what I was doing because they didn't read all of my posts in the
thread!