Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Mike Gross Mike Gross is offline

Default DIY Bench Supply Schematics

I am trying to find a schematic for a bench supply. 110VAC 60Hz input, 0
- 500VDC 0 - 300mA or something close. i would really like it to be of
Tube construction.
Thanks
Mike
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Mike Gross wrote:
I am trying to find a schematic for a bench supply. 110VAC 60Hz input, 0
- 500VDC 0 - 300mA or something close. i would really like it to be of
Tube construction.
Thanks
Mike

If you just want a basic supply, any power supply section of the
average scott, dynaco, etc power supply, with a variable transformer
prior to the ac transformer should do it. An extra filter stage or two
can be added for additional ripple reduction.
I'd add a 100k bleeder resistor across one of the filter resistors,
though.

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario

Bob H. wrote:
Mike Gross wrote:
I am trying to find a schematic for a bench supply. 110VAC 60Hz input, 0
- 500VDC 0 - 300mA or something close. i would really like it to be of
Tube construction.
Thanks
Mike

If you just want a basic supply, any power supply section of the
average scott, dynaco, etc power supply, with a variable transformer
prior to the ac transformer should do it. An extra filter stage or two
can be added for additional ripple reduction.
I'd add a 100k bleeder resistor across one of the filter resistors,
though.

Bob H

Are these (scott, dynaco, etc.) units solid state rectified? If not,
you would need to replace the tube rectifier with a pair of high PIV Si
power diodes or, at low voltage, there would be no rectifier heater
current. Or, of course, use a separate 5 VAC heater transformer run
off the full 120 VAC side at all times.
But this gives no regulation - just manual adjustment with a DC
voltmeter.
There is a simple regulated P/S schematic in the back of one of the old
GE tube manuals (my copy is missing its publication date, I'd guess mid
1950's.) I built one close to this schematic and it works fine. But
you don't get full current at full voltage. It's a trade off... lower
voltages give higher maximum current and the highest voltage it's down
to just a few milliamps maximum, but it's still useful. Check the specs
for the Heathkit PS-3 but it's not as big as you seem to want
(Incidentally, I just restored one two weeks ago!)
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Superhet Superhet is offline

Do you want a regulated supply? A 500v at 300ma supply is a 150 watts of
power, pretty hefty.

Mike Gross wrote:
I am trying to find a schematic for a bench supply. 110VAC 60Hz input, 0
- 500VDC 0 - 300mA or something close. i would really like it to be of
Tube construction.
Thanks
Mike

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"Mike Gross" wrote in message
I am trying to find a schematic for a bench supply. 110VAC 60Hz input, 0 -
500VDC 0 - 300mA or something close. i would really like it to be of Tube
construction.

**I know it is not what you asked, but I have a very nice, tubed power
supply, which I wish to sell.

It has the following specs:

APLAB Vacuum Stabilized Power Supply Type HV4

Channel A
0 - 300 VDC @ 200mA
Channel B
0 - 300 VDC @ 200mA

6.3 VAC @ 5 Amps
5 VAC @ 5 Amps
2.5 VAC @ 5 Amps

Bias
0 - 150 VDC @ 2 mA

All outputs are individually, front panel fused, except the bias supply.

The unit is cased, but rack mountable, if required.

One of the high Voltage supplies is non-functioning, but fault finding
should be reasonable, since the other channel funtions perfectly. I do not
know the regulation figures.

Given the mass and size, this thing would probably suit an Australian buyer
(it operates from 110VAC - 240VAC through internal adjustments). I'm
thinking Ebay might be the way to go. Any thoughts? Is this a desirable
object. It has seen virtually no use, since it was built and the caps will
probably need to be re-formed.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches Iain Churches is offline

"Superhet" wrote in message
Do you want a regulated supply? A 500v at 300ma supply is a 150 watts of
power, pretty hefty.

I have a tube psu, by Solartron UK. 600V 0.5A (300W) built 1964
and still in regular use. It has a bias supply variable to -140V and a
10A heater supply. To date, I have not been able to find a schematic.

But there is a good bench supply in the Bruce Rozenblit book
"Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio Design" (page 95) which
has also appeared in Glass Audio. It includes heater and bias
supply.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Steven Swift Steven Swift is offline

"Engineer" writes:

There is a simple regulated P/S schematic in the back of one of the old
GE tube manuals (my copy is missing its publication date, I'd guess mid
1950's.) I built one close to this schematic and it works fine. But
you don't get full current at full voltage. It's a trade off... lower
voltages give higher maximum current and the highest voltage it's down
to just a few milliamps maximum, but it's still useful. Check the specs
for the Heathkit PS-3 but it's not as big as you seem to want
(Incidentally, I just restored one two weeks ago!)
Cheers,
Roger

I scanned these GE schematics in:

http://novatech-instr.com/Fun/ge_ps.pdf

as well as these Triad schematics:

http://novatech-instr.com/Fun/triad_ps.jpg
http://novatech-instr.com/Fun/triad_sch.jpg

None of these are exactly to the original poster's specs, but the
basic topology is sound. You can also look at old Tektronix tube scope
power supplies. They often used 6080A/6AS7 triodes as pass elements.

Steve.
--
Steven D. Swift, , http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Steven Swift wrote:
"Engineer" writes:

[...]

Thanks to all for the Info! I will sally forth with all you have provided!
Mike