Posted to rec.audio.car
Cybersaint2k

Default Simple, non-bass-oriented, moderately easy install

Hi folks. Here's an opportunity to help a noob set up his little truck
with a decent audio system.

I have a small Nissan truck, the really small one, 1996. It holds 5.25
inch door mounted speakers.

This truck is evidently never, ever going to quit. I bought it new in
1996 and now it has almost 100k on it. I've been putting off getting a
new radio for about 5 years, thinking it would stop working. But no.

I am a musician. I play piano and sing and was a music major. I don't
like the bass-oriented systems out there--I like a more classical
sound. But I want it loud sometimes because the little truck is loud,
especially at highway speeds. I listen to classical, jazz, bluegrass,
newgrass--not FiddyCent.

I would love to get a good cd/mp3 playing head unit with easy
connections for an external unit (like an ipod or something, which I do
not own but might purchase something in the future).

I need 5.25 speakers in the front. I would love suggestions on a solid
pair of speakers.

Do I need a mid/bass speaker in the back to supplement the lack of
cone-size of the front speakers? I can't imagine getting accurate bass
out of them, especially since the mount depth seems pretty shallow.

If I do need an additional speaker/s in the back to give accurate
bass/mid, and I don't want a thump/thump going down the road, how do I
set that up? All the guys I talk to about installing around Orlando
have only one mode--Dude, we can make your system thump, dude!

Please advise. I am decent enough at install that I think I can do
this; I just can't yet get any reliable advice locally. Thank you very
much.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Francious70

For a simple upgrade that will make everything sound worlds better, put
a small amp (50 x 2 or more) on you front speakers.

--
Francious70
Posted to rec.audio.car
Rob Kulp

"Cybersaint2k" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I'm in the Orlando area and there are only a couple shops I would recommend.
One is Ultimate Audio on Highway 50 near Pine Hills Rd. A bit pricey, but
they do decent work.
If you feel confident enough in your abilities, it's always better to do the
work yourself.

I would recommend a nice set of 5.25" components up front with a 10" sub in
a sealed enclosure.
I don't know how much money you want to spend so it's hard to give you
suggestions.

I'm in the middle of my install now and I'm putting in Boston Acoustics Z6
components up front, Pro60 components in the rear, and a 12" sub in a custom
center console. Amplifiers are 200 x 2 up front, 200 x 2 in the rear, and
600 x 1 for my substage.

It's going in a 2006 Silverado 4x4 crew cab.

Good Luck....

Rob

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cybersaint2k

Thanks, Rob and Francious.

Concerning the 50x2 Amp:

All the amps I see on Ebay are 1400 watts, 2000 watts, and so forth. I
don't even find them that small.

Concerning your setup, Rob, that's great. I have a small truck with a
small cab. I think I only need two in the door and one or two mid/bass
in the back.

My budget, btw, is 350. Yep, US Dollars.

I'm looking on Craigslist and ebay for used deals. How about some basic
brand names to buy, some to stay away from, and how many channels (two,
four?) for the amp.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Francious70

Here ya go:

amp:

http://tinyurl.com/efnjf

Front Speakers:

http://tinyurl.com/p2s4r

Sub:

http://tinyurl.com/g82bh

A little over your price, but you get the point, a good system can be
put together for relativly little money.

--
Francious70

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

"Francious70" wrote in
message ...

This is VERY good information and I appreciate Francious doing the leg-work
to find you these deals so don't misunderstand, I am only adding my own
comments to what is already very helpful advice (I AM NOT criticizing
Francious's ideas):

http://tinyurl.com/efnjf

Excellent Choice!!! This would be a perfect amp for your application. I
don't think you could do ANY better for what you need.

Front Speakers:

http://tinyurl.com/p2s4r

Not bad, but if you don't mind buying used, you might be able to do a bit
better. Also, speakers are a VERY personal decision. What sounds good to
you may not sound good to me. And it also depends on the type of music you
listen to. It is ALWAYS best if you can listen first to speakers with YOUR
type of music. But generally speakering, you will not go wrong with brands
like Polk, Infinity, MB Quart, Focal, JL, Crystal, Dynaudio, and Boston
Accoustics.

Sub:

http://tinyurl.com/g82bh

It seems to me this is overkill (a pair of 12's?). I think a single 12 or
a pair of 10's would be best. A single 10" is a little lean, IMHO, even for
Jazz and Classical if you want to play your music at moderate to loud
volumes. Definately go with sealed enclosures as this will give you lower
bass extension (and some believe tighter bass, but I DO NOT want to get into
a big debate about this). You should be able to find a combination of sub
and enclosure for a reasonable amount of money. Check out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KICKER-DC10-...cmd ZViewItem

This has the benefit of the enclosure included. If you buy used, you can
get something like this much cheaper.

Anyway, I don't feel your budget is too low to achieve your goals IF you
shop around and do your homework. There are good deals to be had on Ebay,
but I will warn you that this is THE VERY WORST time of the year to buy on
Ebay as the weather is warming and people are building up their systems for
summer. Winter is THE BEST time to buy, prices are about 1/2 to 1/3 what
they are right now (just thought I'd let you know).

MOSFET

A little over your price, but you get the point, a good system can be
put together for relativly little money.

--
Francious70

Posted to rec.audio.car
Rob Kulp

"Cybersaint2k" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks, Rob and Francious.

Concerning the 50x2 Amp:

All the amps I see on Ebay are 1400 watts, 2000 watts, and so forth. I
don't even find them that small.

Concerning your setup, Rob, that's great. I have a small truck with a
small cab. I think I only need two in the door and one or two mid/bass
in the back.

My budget, btw, is 350. Yep, US Dollars.

I'm looking on Craigslist and ebay for used deals. How about some basic
brand names to buy, some to stay away from, and how many channels (two,
four?) for the amp.

Thank you.

I agree, I was just giving you an idea of what I was doing because my goals
are similar. You want a well balanced system that plays as flat as possible
without an over emphasis on bass. Obviously, the inside of my truck is
atleast 2 1/2 times the size of yours.
In your truck with only 1 set of 5.25" components, I don't think 1 single
10" subwoofer is lean at all. Not for sound quality.

I installed a system in my fathers 1931 Ford hot rod. I used a 5 channel JL
Amp to power 1 set of 6.5" components, 1 set of coaxials, and the 10" sub.
It's sounds outstanding.

Go to Sound Advice and listen to some different setups before you make a
decision.

Shoot me an email....
rob at kulpcentral dot com

If you're close, I might be able to arrange for you to hear it.

Rob

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

I would suggest the Aura 4 channel amp at partsexpress.com, its only
$100 and a GREAT amp. People rave about the quality of this amp,
especally for the money. Use two channels for your front speakers, and
bridge the other two channels togeather for a subwoofer. For a sub,
since I imagine space will be tight, take a look into some of the
different 8" subs avalible. For the price, the assassin 8" and the
tang band 8" (tang also at parts express, just $50) would work great.
A search on this site will give you lots of into on 8" subs. For front
speakers, check out oz audio components. On ebay you can get them
pretty resonable, I have seen them as low as $50 shipped, and they are
some real nice sounding speakers. Finally, for a head unit, I would
browse around ebay and the local newspaper, you may be able to get one
at a great price used. Depending on what install accessories you need
(mounting kit, wiring harness, etc) crutchfield.com may be a good
source. At crutchfield they give you those accessories with your
headunit purchase, so you might be able to get a better deal that way.
Even with many of the low dollar units out there you can get an aux
input avalible. Some even have the aux input on the front, which makes
it really easy to hook up whatever you may get in the future, if you
dont mind cables in the front like that. Good luck with your upgrades!

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

Oh yeah...dont forget to use a coupon if you are ordering from
crutchfield, they are all over the place.

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

YES! I forgot about this deal. He's right! That IS the best deal going
right now on a 4 channel amp. If I were in the market for a four channel
amp, THAT would be the one I would buy. Aura is a VERY respected brand and
has been on the cutting edge of audio technology for many years. This is
GREAT ADVICE!!!

MOSFET

"mastarecoil" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cybersaint2k

Thank you all for your help. I've noted your advice very carefully.
Here's where I am so far:

I'm going to pick up a Pioneer DEH-2700 off Craigslist for 50$.

I'm bidding on a Boss Chaos 4 channel (seller says its 400 watts, but
likely the C-350) on Ebay and may pick it up for 35$ total. If I'm
wrong and end up having to go with the Aura, then I'm only out 35$.

I'm now shopping for the brand names you've graciously listed for
front/back speakers.

Thanks for your help so far. Reports incoming as I make progress on
building the cheapest, nicest stereo system ever known to mankind.

MOSFET wrote:
YES! I forgot about this deal. He's right! That IS the best deal going
right now on a 4 channel amp. If I were in the market for a four channel
amp, THAT would be the one I would buy. Aura is a VERY respected brand and
has been on the cutting edge of audio technology for many years. This is
GREAT ADVICE!!!

MOSFET

"mastarecoil" wrote in
message ...

I would suggest the Aura 4 channel amp at partsexpress.com, its only
$100 and a GREAT amp. snip

For the price, the assassin 8" and the tang band 8" (tang also at parts
express, just $50) would work great.snip
--
mastarecoil

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

Nice deal on the cd player! I put the same one in my sisters car and it
is a great unit.

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

"Rob Kulp" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Rob's got it right. My Dakota has a set of a/d/s components (old skool)
biamped and a single JL 10W0 in a truck box made by JL. It sounds great.
Power comes from a MTX PRO400X5 5 channel amp. I think 350 is pushing it
budget wise but for 500 bucks you could easily get something nice. I know
where there is a Next 5 ch amp for sale for 100 bucks shipped JL truck
boxes pop up in ebay from time to time then a set of nice speakers and you
are set!

I too work in the music industry, first as alive sound engineer and now an
electronics engineer at a university for a music department. You WILL want
a small sub in there for listening to classical and jazz, probably not
needed for bluegrass though but newgrass it will help for.

Chad

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...

[...]

He will be just fine with a single 10" just a few inched from his kidneys.
I use a single 10" in both vehicles and have no problem with it and work
with systems that will disrupt your breathing and move your pantlegs
relentlessly from 200 feet away. Everyday. A single 10 will do it if the
application is properly engineered.

Chad

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cybersaint2k

Update on cheap, simple, audio system:

So far I have the following, all including shipping:

Pioneer DEH-2700--50$, pickup tomorrow.

Boss Chaos 4 channel, 400 watts, 160rms. 35$

tang band 8" for 53$

I'm bidding on Polk DB 525 5.25" Coaxial Speakers and could get them
for as little as 40-45, but I'd pay more.

Do you folks have a suggestion on wires/harnesses for online purchase,
or can local auto parts stores help? I'm willing to pay retail on
wiring--used wires give me the willies.

I could get the whole system for 138 plus 50-ish for the Polks plus
50-ish for the harness/wiring, putting me well below my budgeted 350.
Heck, I may even pay someone to install it at that rate! LOL!

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Let me give you a little advice, NEVER tell us what you are bidding on in
Ebay (while the auction is still in progress). Remember, you are talking to
a WHOLE BUNCH of car audio enthusiasts (sharks) who are ALWAYS on the
lookout for deals (like me).

Just a tip,

MOSFET

"Cybersaint2k" wrote in message
ups.com...
Update on cheap, simple, audio system:

So far I have the following, all including shipping:

Pioneer DEH-2700--50$, pickup tomorrow.

Boss Chaos 4 channel, 400 watts, 160rms. 35$

tang band 8" for 53$

I'm bidding on Polk DB 525 5.25" Coaxial Speakers and could get them
for as little as 40-45, but I'd pay more.

Do you folks have a suggestion on wires/harnesses for online purchase,
or can local auto parts stores help? I'm willing to pay retail on
wiring--used wires give me the willies.

I could get the whole system for 138 plus 50-ish for the Polks plus
50-ish for the harness/wiring, putting me well below my budgeted 350.
Heck, I may even pay someone to install it at that rate! LOL!

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

I am not sure which boss amp you got, but do you know if its bridgable,
so you can use two channels for one speaker, as you will want to do
with your sub?

There are tons of places to buy the wiring harnesses online, just
google. You can also buy them in stores, and when you factor in
shipping often times you might as well just buy it locally. Try
walmart, circuit city, best buy, probably in that order, and any other
place you might think up.

You would probably also be well off with a simple wiring kit, 8ga
should be more than fine, but 4ga if you want to play it safe. It will
have your power wires, fuse, RCA cables, etc. You can also get those
locally or online fairly cheap (20-30 bucks). Ebay is also a good
source.

Your truck may also need a new bracket or trim bezel to fit the radio,
so take a look for that too. 'www.crutchfield.com'
(http://www.crutchfield.com) will tell you exactally what you need.

If you want to make the install easier for yourself, try to find a
prefab box for the tang. Probably your best bet there is to go online
and find a sealed box for an 8" sub. Ebay has tons of these for ya,
just watch the size (match it to what partsexpress reccomended).

If you have a little cash left over, go grab a case of beer and reward
yourself for the great bargains you found. If you still have a little
more cash left over, I would suggest getting some sound deadening
material. Ive never really noticed a big difference acoustically,
however, I still love the stuff becuase it takes away so much of the
road noise.

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

Oh yeah...just remembered...a guy on these forums, Ripper, has a bunch
of tangs for sale, he was asking 35 a piece plus shipping. You might
want to shoot him an email, that would save you a couple more bucks.

--
mastarecoil

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

Any updates?

--
mastarecoil

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cybersaint2k

mastarecoil wrote:
Any updates?

Building simple system on the cheap
--
mastarecoil

Yes, thank you for asking.

I'm still waiting on the Polk DB speakers to arrive. I returned the 500
watt wire kit (it was missing the fuse and holder) and ordered one for
half that price from Ebay. I ordered the Nissan wire harness from Ebay
for 5$ instead of the 25$ the local auto parts place wanted.

So far I have:

Pioneer DEH-2700--50$
Boss Chaos 4 channel, 400 watts, 160rms. 35$
Tang band 8" for 53$ and box for 30$.
Polk DB 525 5.25" Coaxial Speakers 70$ (waiting)
Wiring $25

I may need a 10$ kit that makes my new head unit fit just so into the
dash.

Install Questions:

1) When running the amp power cable through the firewall, do you always
have to drill new holes, or are there sometimes extra holes you can put
it through?

2) I'm going to mount the amp under the seat on the same side as my
battery. Does that sound right?

3) It looks like all the speaker cables (2x5.25, bridged sub) run
from/to the new amp. I'm guessing I attach the existing speaker wires
to the new ones and pull the new through the bundle, then run wires
under the carpet to the amp, right? Or how do I run new speaker cables
through the dash, to the door, through that little snake that connects
to the door, then to the speakers? I've never done it. This is the main
thing that scares me so far.

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

1) You do not always have to drill a hole. Check and see what you have,
there may already be a place where cables come into the car thats easy
to get to, in which case you can just run your cable through the same
spot. Avoid the steering column, though. If you do drill a hole, make
sure to put in a rubber grommet or some type of protection to keep the
firewall from cutting into the cable.

2) If you put it under your seat, it dosent have to be on the battery
side, you can put it on the other, whichever is easiest to you. There
are people that put their amps under seats, but I have always been
weary about that. Water (especally melting snow) can get there quite
easily. I guess the risk depends on what climate you live in. If this
worries you in any way, see if you can mount it on a side wall or the
rear wall.

3) I would suggest no longer using the stock speaker wires, it just
makes things cleaner and it will be less confusing. Your headunit has
RCA outputs on it, so use an RCA cable to run from the headunit to the
RCA inputs on the amp.

From the amplifier speaker outputs you will have three sets of speaker
cable coming out. Front left and front right will go to the left and
right polk speakers, and rear left and rear right will be bridged
togeather, and this set of cables will go to the sub.

How you actually run the cables will be all up to you. You just have
to see what will work best for your particular vehicle. The good news
is they do not need to go back behind the dash (where the radio
connects), they go straight from the amp to the speakers. Most
vehicles arent that bad, usually you can snake the wire under a carpet,
under a trim panel, etc, fairly easily. A coathanger will become your
new best friend.

Sounds like you are making good progress!

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
Cybersaint2k

mastarecoil wrote:

From the amplifier speaker outputs you will have three sets of speaker
cable coming out. Front left and front right will go to the left and
right polk speakers, and rear left and rear right will be bridged
togeather, and this set of cables will go to the sub.

Sounds like you are making good progress!
mastarecoil

Well, we have our first problem.

I have a Boss Chaos 350C 400 watt 4 channel amp.I wanted to bridge
channels 3-4 into the sub.

I don't have an instruction manual with the amp. Everywhere I look
online, they say the amp is bridgable. These are the ones I read before
I purchased it.

http://www.bizrate.com/caramplifiers...formation.html

http://www.cardomain.com/item/BOSC350

There are dozens more.

But these folks say it will NOT bridge:

http://mobile-emotions.stores.yahoo....chaosc34c.html

The only ones on the Internet that say it's not bridgable--the others
say explicitely that it is.

Add to this, the diagram on the bottom of the amp, it doesn't reference
bridging. There are only level knobs for inputs going into channels 1/2
and 3/4. But on the other side of the amp where you attach the speaker
wires, nothing.

Here's a link to the boss audio site and the manual.

http://www.bossaudio.com/support/ind...loadite mid=5

My reading of the manual says that the c350 is not designed for
bridging. It's designed to run 4 speakers. Everyone on the Internet is
wrong and these guys at mobile-emotions I linked to above are correct.
The rest copied info about other boss chaos amps (internal crossover,
ect) and pasted it into the c350, but they were wrong.

Anyone have an amp just lying around, a 2 channel amp capable of
tri-mode or a 4 channel that will bridge, that they'd like to sell a
forum brother? I'll trade you a nice Boss c350 =)

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

I would highly reccomend the Aura 4 channel amp at partsexpress.com.
Should be about $110 shipped, so maybe thats more than you were hoping
to spend, but it is a great amp and will do exactally what you want.

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
Cybersaint2k

Another Noob update about install of Pioneer DEH-2700 in Nissan 1995
Hardbody Truck:

I purchased the Metra gsxL cable to connect the aftermarket head unit
to the truck. I see it connects to the truck harness, and that leaves
me with 9 naked wires. But now I need a Pioneer harness of some
kind--there appears to be a 16 pin connector on the back of the head
unit.

I have confirmed that this is the proper pin Pioneer head unit. I
purchased the following:

Thank you for your care and feeding of noobs. I hope this thread can
help someone in the future.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cybersaint2k

Mastarecoil and Company:

I have everything in hand to hook up the elusive and mysterious Pioneer
head to the system. I have a noob question.

With the RCA jacks coming out the back of the head carrying the signal
back to the amp, I only need to hook up the harness coming from the
back of the head to get power, ground, illumination, dimmer--those
sorts of things go into the harness, but I don't need anything related
to sound going into the harness, right?

Thanks.

mastarecoil wrote:
I would highly reccomend the Aura 4 channel amp at partsexpress.com.
Should be about $110 shipped, so maybe thats more than you were hoping
to spend, but it is a great amp and will do exactally what you want.

--
mastarecoil

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

right right. no speaker outputs from the head unit need to be hooked to
anything.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Cybersaint2k

Thank you.

I have an amp problem. Aura RPM Stage 2 4200.

I have it wired normally through the front channels.

I have it bridged, using the R of channel 3 and the L of channel 4 or +
of L and - of R, if you please.

I have tested power going into the amp. I have a ground that, when
going through the amp, produces sparks when I rub it. I'm grounded to a
bolt going into the chassi under the seat that looks to me like a good
ground--and I've made good grounds before wiring trailer light
harnesses.

So: With power and ground going into the amp, I get no power green or
protect red light. I get no Aura glowing blue.

The manual has nothing--it's not a good manual for anything other than
the parts of the amp. Online has no troubleshooting; Aurasound.com has
nothing.

I checked the two 30amp fuses in the amp. They are good. I checked the
60 amp fuse in the power line. Good. I bypassed the fuse. Still good.

Help.

KU40 wrote:
right right. no speaker outputs from the head unit need to be hooked to
anything.

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

Sounds like you got it figured out, but in case you were curious what it
does, the remote works like a relay, its a switch to turn the amp on.
If you have nothing connected to the remote, the amp is off. If you
have a 12v source going to it, it will be on.

You could just wire 12v from your battery into it, but that would make
the amp stay on 24/7, which is unessesary and your battery would
quickly drain. The remote wire from your headunit sends out 12v only
when the radio is on. That makes it so the amp is on when the headunit
is on, which makes good sense. On your headunit it may be called
remote, power antenna, accessory, or something of that sort.

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

Beware that some headunits have an antenna lead AND an amp turn on lead.
The antenna lead on these units is only active when the tuner is on. The
amp lead is active when ANY source is selected. This is so you won't be
driving around with your antenna up when playing CD's.

Chad

"Cybersaint2k" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a reply to myself.

There is one sentence that explains it in the Aura install guide.

"This is the remote turn on from the source, usually the power antenna
activation lead."

So I now will run the antenna activation lead back to the amp to the
connection in between the + and - power.