Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Aftermarket HU in Mercedes-Benz E320 - CAN bus?

Hello, I am trying to add an aftermarket head unit to a 2002
Mercedes-Benz E320. I would like to keep the Bose amp and speakers and
only replace the headunit. I have the necessary Metra wiring harness
(#70-1784), but I am not sure which way to connect the wires. Using a
multimeter to check the wiring harness, I can only find 12V power and
ground.

Are the other control wires handled by the CAN bus? Is it possible to
add an aftermarket head unit to a CAN bus system? I've heard a
steering wheel adapter would give me the control lines, but I don't
need that function or that expense. Any other way?

And does anyone know the pinouts of the 2002 E320? They are apparently
not the same as the SLK, though they both use the same head unit. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Why Mercedes older than 30 years are dumb Andre Jute Vacuum Tubes 34 December 14th 05 06:47 AM
Mercedes Benz And CDR Habib Car Audio 0 May 14th 05 08:13 AM
New Mercedes Radio in 1983 300D Jeff Car Audio 4 June 17th 04 03:51 AM
Installing SONY CDX-F5500 mp3 receiver to old Volvo or Mercedes? T.T. Car Audio 0 February 9th 04 08:32 PM
Nissan Pathfinder Armada...aftermarket DVD...factory Bose?? dboogie Car Audio 6 January 20th 04 12:33 AM