Posted to rec.audio.car
John Comma Smith

Default New to car audio

Hello,

This is my first post in this group and I wanted to start out by saying
hello. Well I recently bought a 1996 Honda Accord and got a pretty good
deal on it. All the audio has been upgraded on it, new headunit and new
speakers.

The headunit is extremely used and I was thinking of replacing it, but
here is where my car audio ignorance comes into play. Essentially I want
to add a sub, or two, to my speaker set up. But I have two questions:
should I get a headunit with three sets of outputs, using the headunit
and two of the pairs of outputs to power the speakers and then an amp on
the third pair for the sub(s)? Or can I get a headunit with two sets of
outputs having one set go to an amp with four channels(for the speakers)
and then another set for the amp and sub? Or do I have both of my
options totally wrong?
Posted to rec.audio.car
winkenstein

John Comma Smith wrote:
Hello,

This is my first post in this group and I wanted to start out by saying
hello. Well I recently bought a 1996 Honda Accord and got a pretty good
deal on it. All the audio has been upgraded on it, new headunit and new
speakers...........

let me be the first to say and warn you,
we've got this rather amazingly arrogant troll lurking around here
named Bob Wald,
and we just can't seem to escape his torturous grasp,
so what ever it is that you do,
don't humor him by replying to anything that is said by him,
just go on about your business, and do what ever it takes to ignore his
vile lathargic drivel.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

As was previously said, we have a VERY annoying troll on this group, Bob
Wald, he will often try to lure newbie's into thinking he is sincere and
offer advice. He is not. Taking his advice will lead to disaster.

should I get a headunit with three sets of outputs, using the headunit and
two of the pairs of outputs to power the speakers and then an amp on the
third pair for the sub(s)?

First, I WOULD recommend getting a HU with three sets of outputs. But your
terminology may be a little mixed up. When we refer to two or three pairs
of outputs, we are refering to RCA (or line level) outputs that MUST go into
an amplifier to be used. So a HU with three pairs of outputs can use three
amplifiers let's say, one amp to drive the front speakers, one amp to drive
the rear speakers, and one amp to drive the subwoofer. So your first
question is a little confusing because if you wish to use the HU to power
the front and rear speakers, and then use an amp to power the subwoofer, you
REALLY would only need ONE pair of outputs. However, these days, most HU's
come with two or three pairs of outputs.

But I would get a HU with three pairs of RCA outputs as this will give you
greater flexibility in the future IF YOU DO want to use an outboard
amplifier to power your front and rear speakers.

Or can I get a headunit with two sets of
outputs having one set go to an amp with four channels(for the speakers)
and then another set for the amp and sub? Or do I have both of my options
totally wrong?

OK, again it would be best to have a HU with three pairs of outputs and you
would run two of them (front speakers and rear speakers) into your four
channel amp and then the third into the subwoofer amp. The advantage of
this is that you will have fader control. If you do the setup you describe,
you will lose fader control because you will be running one pair of RCA's
into the four channel amp. You want to run two pairs into the four channel
amp.

Hope this helps,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald

you need only 2 outputs.... n buying a subs a waste..

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald

i just was looking at a sony deck thatd be great for you.....n make sure
your out volts is 5v minimum...

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Comma Smith

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

I just want to first say thanks for all the info, that was leaps and
bounds helpful. Sorry about the wrong terminology, I am about as new to
car audio as you can get.

But alas, I have a couple of more questions if you guys don't mind
helping me with:

Do most 4 channel amps have the ability to take two inputs?
Any HU/Amps that you guys prefer? Any I should stay away from?
I am a little confused, my car doesn't have an amp now, how then does it
power the speakers?

Thanks again and I will ignore that Bob Wald character.
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald

WHAT! ya car dont gots no amp...man call popo you been jacked n dodnt
even know it! lol
man word up. you need to get sum BOSS amps they fly dude.
boss will pound ya harder than bubba in jail jack.lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

All 4 channel amps take two inputs, one for the front two channels and
another for the rear channels. Some amps have the ability to input
only one set and apply it to both front and rear inside the amp,
however.

Your factory radio has an amp inside it, just as most aftermarket units
do (only a couple high-end units go powerless). I really like Alpine
head units, Eclipse is really good, and Pioneers aren't too bad. I
would stay away from Kenwood, Sony, JVC, and Aiwa.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull

4 channel amps will be able to accept 4 channels, without question.
Front-Left, Front-Right, Rear-Left, Rear-Right. The rule I have always
gone by (as far as brands), is that if you haven't heard GOOD things
about it, there's probably a reason. Someone here (MOSFET?) has a
great FAQ link for anyone new to the sport and/or just wanting to learn
more.
Your speakers are currently powered by the internal amplifier in your
head unit. Almost all decks have an internal amp (I believe that you
have to get into the extremely high-end before they don't, and that's
because they expect you to have external amps at that point).
My two cents:
Install a subwoofer, and a class 'd' (designed for subwoofer) amp to
power it - and upgrade the internal speakers. I'll get stomped on here
for saying it, but that's all some people ever need. If you wish to
keep going after that, great! You can always add a four channel amp to
power your upgraded speakers...

~Mister.Lull
John Comma Smith wrote:
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Comma Smith

Mister.Lull wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. I have my work cut out for me as everything in the
car has been upgraded, speakers and the HU. I am just considering buying
a new HU because the pioneer one is about to break on me and I want to
get a new HU that will be able to support a sub.

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald

yeah pal look on your deck back for the sub connections.....matter a
fact get the double sub connections.you never know you might expand as
you become a car pro...lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Someone here (MOSFET?) has a
great FAQ link for anyone new to the sport and/or just wanting to learn
more.

The link he refers to is: http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/

It is the FAQ for this group. It is a GREAT source for those new to this
and will give you very good basic education on terminology and some of the
basic issues you encounter.

Good luck! And welcome to the group!

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald

ku..lol that sony i'm getting with 7eq better than anything youll ever
have...$275+!
JVC -Kenwoods good too.
those special brands are expensive to fix n harder to service.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Branden Nelsen

In *my* experiences for good quality equipment go with:

HU: Alpine is the best, or id go with a mid-high level Pioneer also.
Amp: Directed (DEI) are solid, Alpines are good as are Crossfire and
Diamond.
Speakers (Component): Diamond Audio
Subs: Kicker L series are rock solid, but will cost you abit more, otherwise
Diamond Audio are great.

Allot of people will tell you what is best and what isn't, Like with me I
would NEVER recommend anything Rockford fosgate to anyone, but that is due
to my experiences with their products. EVERYONE has their opinion on what is
good and what isn't (See any post by bob wald). The best way to know if its
going to sound good is for you to go and listen to it before you buy it,
what sounds good to me, might not sound good to you. Also don't be afraid to
ask questions on here, there are allot of knowledgeable people that are more
then willing to try and help you figure out a resolution to your issue.

-Branden