Default hard-wired fm modulator

I want to wire my iPod into my 4-year-old Clarion head unit, which does
not appear to have an "Aux In" (CDX-765), but I'm otherwise happy with
it and in no hurry to junk it (good, clean 4V signal, etc).

I live in SoCal, where those little wireless FM modulators (the iTrip,
etc) don't work for sh!t -- too much interference, there's no one place
on the radio dial that's empty enough.

So I'd like to hard-wire a modulator, ideally one intelligent enough to
sense a singal on the "line in" jacks and switch off the external
antenna. I've seen lots of cheap ones that have a manual on/off
switch, but I'd like something a little more intelligent, so when I
want to listen to the iPod I click "play" and when I don't, I just turn
the iPod off, no messing with anything else.

Is there such a beast? Google's not of much help.

Thanks!
Wendell

loulax07

FYI- a "hard-wired FM modulator" is an oxymoron......
like jumbo shrimp
once its hardwired, u dont need the FM mod anymore
look for AUX input devices, try PAC Audio

--
loulax07

loulax07's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=20366
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=211208

Jumbo Shrimp, Smart Mexican......

Scott Gardner

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 05:21:08 +0000, loulax07
wrote:

FYI- a "hard-wired FM modulator" is an oxymoron......
like jumbo shrimp
once its hardwired, u dont need the FM mod anymore
look for AUX input devices, try PAC Audio

Actually, there ARE hardwired FM modulators. They're the ones where
you disconnect the antenna from the back of your deck, plug the
modulator into the back of your deck and then plug your antenna into
the modulator. (In other words, the modulator goes in-line between
your antenna and your deck). You still have to tune your radio to a
particular frequency, but they're called "hardwired" to differentiate
them from the ones that broadcast your tunes wirelessly to your deck.

Scott Gardner

Vestax05pro

Hardwiring or Direct Connect FM modulator is still an oxymoron, whether
you interrupt the antenna or not, you're still not getting the full
bandwidth or quality of a true direct connection from the source. The
problem is, whether you choose 88.1 or 88.9 as the station to be
intercepted, you'll still get noise and interruption just like you
would on a regular FM station. I'd contact the manufacturer to see if
you could get an auxilary input through the cd changer controls or like
loulax said, an aftermarket auxilary device like PAC, Peripheral, AAMP,
Blitzsafe.

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=211208

Chad Wahls

wrote:

FYI- a "hard-wired FM modulator" is an oxymoron......
like jumbo shrimp
once its hardwired, u dont need the FM mod anymore
look for AUX input devices, try PAC Audio

Actually, there ARE hardwired FM modulators. They're the ones where
you disconnect the antenna from the back of your deck, plug the
modulator into the back of your deck and then plug your antenna into
the modulator. (In other words, the modulator goes in-line between
your antenna and your deck). You still have to tune your radio to a
particular frequency, but they're called "hardwired" to differentiate
them from the ones that broadcast your tunes wirelessly to your deck.

Scott Gardner

Also keep in mind that there are large quality differences in these devices.
I bought a 29.95 special and found the high end muffled and some carrier
artifact present. I tried to re-tune it but after getting it on an RF
spectrum analyzer found that it's spurious emissions were terrible and gave
up on it.

Chad

Id go with a head unit that has AUX in or direct ipod control. Even if
you get a FM mod to work, you will only be hearing up to 15khz, which
IMO sucks. I have never heard anything good from a unit using FM mod.