Default M-Audiophile 24/96 vs USB cards for prosumer soundcard choice

Hi All,

I have heard for a long time that the M-Audiophile 24/96 is the best buy
for a prosumer DAW...but lately I have seen so many USB soundcard
options...

Is there an inherent weakness or reason to go PCI card and not USB
soundcard?

If not...is there a value priced USB card that delivers similar quality
and features when compared to the M-Audio 24/96?

I mainly use CubaseSX (considering switching to Nuendo2) for vocal
recording and Midi keyboard recording.

Love,

Me
Arny Krueger

wrote in message

I have heard for a long time that the M-Audiophile 24/96 is the best
buy for a prosumer DAW...but lately I have seen so many USB soundcard
options...

Is there an inherent weakness or reason to go PCI card and not USB
soundcard?

Yes, most currently-available USB soundcards are limited to the USB 1.1
interface, which lacks the data rate required to reliably handle more than
few channels, and low bitrates.

There are now a few USB 2.0 and/or Firewire audio interfaces. But they all
make cards like the AP 2496 and Echo Mia (my recommended alternative for
audio production) look pretty attractive on economic grounds if relatively
simple cards like these will suit your needs.

Arny Krueger

Default M-AP 2496 vs Echo Mia - comparison somewhere?

wrote in message

Do you have a chart or resource that compares the Echo Mia with the
AP2496?

http://audio.rightmark.org/test/mia/echo-mia-1644.html

http://audio.rightmark.org/test/mia/echo-mia-2496.html

versus:

http://audio.rightmark.org/rus/test/...iophile-1644.h
tml

http://audio.rightmark.org/rus/test/...iophile-2496.h
tml

At 1644 they both come pretty close to the limits of the format, while at
24/96 tests show some differences.

I don't see any data at 24/44 or 24/48 but my own casual tests show these
are the data formats where the Mia really shows an advantage.

Laurence Payne

I have heard for a long time that the M-Audiophile 24/96 is the best buy
for a prosumer DAW...but lately I have seen so many USB soundcard
options...

Is there an inherent weakness or reason to go PCI card and not USB
soundcard?

If not...is there a value priced USB card that delivers similar quality
and features when compared to the M-Audio 24/96?

I mainly use CubaseSX (considering switching to Nuendo2) for vocal
recording and Midi keyboard recording.

There is no reason to choose USB if installing a pci card is an
option.

CubaseFAQ page www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

Default M-AP 2496 vs Echo Mia - comparison somewhere? Stability is the key

Has anyone used both to know which drivers are most stable under WinXP?
They seem close enough that whichever crashes less would be the best
pick.

For me...stability is the acid test of most sound cards. Especially
stability with CubaseSX.

In article ,
says...
wrote in message

Do you have a chart or resource that compares the Echo Mia with the
AP2496?

http://audio.rightmark.org/test/mia/echo-mia-1644.html

http://audio.rightmark.org/test/mia/echo-mia-2496.html

versus:

http://audio.rightmark.org/rus/test/...iophile-1644.h
tml

http://audio.rightmark.org/rus/test/...iophile-2496.h
tml

At 1644 they both come pretty close to the limits of the format, while at
24/96 tests show some differences.

I don't see any data at 24/44 or 24/48 but my own casual tests show these
are the data formats where the Mia really shows an advantage.

DaveG

wrote in message
hate to beg for more...but...why?

Bandwidth headroom.
Stability.Compatibility.
Simple as that really.

ATB-DG.

DaveG

wrote in message
hate to beg for more...but...why?

Bandwidth headroom.
Stability.Compatibility.
Simple as that really.

ATB-DG.

Justin Ulysses Morse

wrote:

Is there an inherent weakness or reason to go PCI card and not USB
soundcard?

If you want the option of using the device with a laptop, then get the
USB version. If you don't need that option, then get the PCI card
because it'll be tucked neatly away inside the computer, will probably
cost less for equivalent features and performance, and the PCI buss is
faster and more reliable than the USB buss (which may or may not be
relevant, depending on whether or not the USB buss is in fact fast
enough to do what you want to do, and I don't know the answer to that).

ulysses

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:00:44 -0400, wrote:

Has anyone used both to know which drivers are most stable under WinXP?
They seem close enough that whichever crashes less would be the best
pick.

For me...stability is the acid test of most sound cards. Especially
stability with CubaseSX.

Is instability of soundcard drivers a common problem? The only
crashing soundcard I have ever experienced was an old Echo Gina on a
system which turned out to have a bad memory stick. The Gina (and its
drivers) continue to function very well.

Both the cards you mention rarely have problems reported.

CubaseFAQ page www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:02:16 -0400, wrote:

hate to beg for more...but...why?

Why pci over usb?

If you can connect directly, why connect through an additional layer?

Usb 1.1 is adequate for two channels of in/out, but with no room to
spare. There's now one (to my knowledge) usb2 audio interface
available, and a handful of Firewire ones. These interfaces have
adequate bandwidth, but no more than the pci bus on which they run.
And they are more expensive than the equivalent pci card.

CubaseFAQ page www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

Sean Conolly

wrote in message
Hi All,

I have heard for a long time that the M-Audiophile 24/96 is the best buy
for a prosumer DAW...but lately I have seen so many USB soundcard
options...

Is there an inherent weakness or reason to go PCI card and not USB
soundcard?

If not...is there a value priced USB card that delivers similar quality
and features when compared to the M-Audio 24/96?

I mainly use CubaseSX (considering switching to Nuendo2) for vocal
recording and Midi keyboard recording.

Don't do USB, get a card. For one thing with a card you can get MIDI and
S/PDIF digital I/O in addition to the analog I/O.

I just installed an M-Audio 2496 into an XP system and it works flawlessly.
I haven't tried one of the Echo Mia cards yet, but I've had no problems with
my Echo Gina card in four years. I especially like the Echo console software
that lets me adjust the gain of all the analog ports at the card level.

Sean