Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Abnarthy John Abnarthy is offline

Default audio compressor/ limiter for car

For years, I've been using a tiny FIIO amp ahead of my car MP3 player to
play my mostly classical music. The amp has a cassette adapter in it
that allows me to play the system through my car's stereo. While this
has worked pretty well and, to my surprise, the tiny FIIO amp has lasted
over nine years, I've always wanted to add a small compressor/ limiter
between the MP3 player and amp. Oh, I've done some of the compression
in software, but for many, many MP3's, this takes a lot of time and have
been wondering for quite some time if there was a small unit about the
size of the FIIO that is of decent quality and not too expensive that
would be suitable? Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

John Abnarthy wrote:
For years, I've been using a tiny FIIO amp ahead of my car MP3 player to
play my mostly classical music. The amp has a cassette adapter in it
that allows me to play the system through my car's stereo. While this
has worked pretty well and, to my surprise, the tiny FIIO amp has lasted
over nine years, I've always wanted to add a small compressor/ limiter
between the MP3 player and amp. Oh, I've done some of the compression
in software, but for many, many MP3's, this takes a lot of time and have
been wondering for quite some time if there was a small unit about the
size of the FIIO that is of decent quality and not too expensive that
would be suitable? Thanks.

A long time ago, Blaupunkt made a number of head units and standalone car
stereos that had dynamic range control (actually more of a slow AGC than a
fast compressor) built in. They may still do.

You might also ask in rec.audio.car.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 21/10/2016 1:30 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
John Abnarthy wrote:

A long time ago, Blaupunkt made a number of head units and standalone car
stereos that had dynamic range control (actually more of a slow AGC than a
fast compressor) built in. They may still do.

You might also ask in rec.audio.car.
--scott

Yes, some current car CD/USB players do indeed have built-in compressor
controls. And some 'Loudness' controls .

No, I can't remember which, but the one I saw was a major Jap brand ;-|

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/20/2016 2:57 PM, geoff wrote:
Yes, some current car CD/USB players do indeed have built-in compressor
controls. And some 'Loudness' controls .

So you're suggesting that he buy a new car? I had a Mitsubishi Galant
rental car more than 20 years ago that had a compressor, by some other
name. I guess if they called it "compressor" you'd think it was for
filling the tires.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 21/10/2016 9:29 a.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/20/2016 2:57 PM, geoff wrote:
Yes, some current car CD/USB players do indeed have built-in compressor
controls. And some 'Loudness' controls .

So you're suggesting that he buy a new car? I had a Mitsubishi Galant
rental car more than 20 years ago that had a compressor, by some other
name. I guess if they called it "compressor" you'd think it was for
filling the tires.

Anew car - why ? A bit like buying a new house if what you want is a
new TV.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/20/2016 4:44 PM, geoff wrote:
Anew car - why ? A bit like buying a new house if what you want is a
new TV.

Well, as quoted from you above, you did say "some current cars . . . "

Perhaps you were suggesting that he get a new aftermarket audio system
for his present car? Whether or not that makes sense, or is even
possible, depends on what kind of car he has now. I have a 2003 Lexus
ES-300, and when I investigated a new audio system so I could have a
line input (this was before anyone put a USB file player in a car) I was
told by three shops that what I had was so custom that nothing they sold
would fit, nor would integrate with the amplifiers and speakers.

I think this car might last longer than me, so I guess when I go on long
trips I'll have to be content listening to my phone playing MP3 files
through a cassette adapter. Fortunately it's old enough to still have a
cassette player, as well as a 5-disk in-dash CD changer that sometimes
has to be coaxed to eject a disk.