Default RIAA loses big, Dutch cort adds to sting

In a major court decision the riaa can't have names of file sharers:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20031219/D7VHI7400.html

In a Dutch court, Kazaa found not liable for what it's users does with it.

The music biz needs to face facts, the old technology on which monopoly
and forced feeding of music product was standard practice, is no longer
the reality. Apple showed that people will pay for the music people want,
absent the "filler" on a cd. With downloading people pay exactly the
going price for a music biz cd; nothing; people have voted with their
mouse. The monoply standing greedily between artist and consumer has been
broken. No more invented "talent" who are all image, no more doorkeepers
who decide what music is recorded, no more fat bloated music biz
structures that add not one note to the output of the artist but suck the
profits only for having the monoply.
George

[...]

you truly can find feel your right on this?
God, please save us from this mentality.
next they will want free rent and food
just beacuse a technology can accomadate the stealing of a artists work
and income source, does not make it morally right to do so
do you actually think people are going to pay for what they feel they
are entitled to for free?
and where does this feeling of entitlment stem from? the only root I cn
see is the greed of the downloader coupled with a complete lack of
morals
Not bloody likely
George
EggHd

The music biz needs to face facts, the old technology on which monopoly
and forced feeding of music product was standard practice, is no longer
the reality.

Blah Blah. Meanwhile millions of people bought CDs this week. Go figure.

---------------------------------------
Chuck

"George" wrote in message

[...]

American consumers will only pay for things they find value in. It is up to
the record companies to make their products worth $16 more than a bunch of
MP3s downloaded from the internet. As long as that value leans tilted
towards illegally obtained discs, downloaded music will thrive. I personally
have no problem downloading tracks to check out stuff I haven't heard. I'm
the exeception, but if I like it, I'll end up buying records from that
artist. Other products I can take back to the store if I don't like them,
and while I still end up spending too much of my money on music, at least if
I can download it I can check it out in the privacy in my own home (which is
a big part of it for me, I don't have to hear my friends copy, I don't have
to check it out on some listening station, etc, I can do it from the chair I
sit in right now) before I make that commitment, and be happier with the
product. The only money the industry loses from me is the cash I would have
wasted on CDs I regretted buying, and that's something for which I'm just
not going to feel guilty.

EggHd

American consumers will only pay for things they find value in.

And steal what they don't? Who gives a **** if you want to buy the CDs or not.
It's taking them without buying them that is the problem.

It is up to
the record companies to make their products worth $16 more than a bunch of
MP3s downloaded from the internet.

Make it worth more so what.... People then don't download anymore? How so?
"Giev me better songs and I will buy them?" Bull****.

As long as that value leans tilted
towards illegally obtained discs, downloaded music will thrive.

Value? of course free stolen good have "value". Someone paid to record and
promite something you went to take for free. yes that has value to a person
who just saved 10 bucks by stealing it.

---------------------------------------

Andrew M.

EggHd wrote:
American consumers will only pay for things they find value in.

And steal what they don't? Who gives a **** if you want to buy the CDs or not.
It's taking them without buying them that is the problem.

It is up to
the record companies to make their products worth $16 more than a bunch of
MP3s downloaded from the internet.

Make it worth more so what.... People then don't download anymore? How so?
"Giev me better songs and I will buy them?" Bull****.

As long as that value leans tilted
towards illegally obtained discs, downloaded music will thrive.

Value? of course free stolen good have "value". Someone paid to record and
promite something you went to take for free. yes that has value to a person
who just saved 10 bucks by stealing it.

---------------------------------------

Now that the damage is done we need to stop trying to get back what was
stolen and get on with making money again. The courts are not the place
to solve this problem. We just need to move on before we are all
completely out of work.

I am working with a band right now and we aren't even going to release
the new album on CD. It's going straight to DVD with tons of extra
content. We are also going to provide mp3's of the stereo mixes and I am
going to encode them as big as I can get them. We are going to make sure
the files are so big that even if you want to share them you will need a
really fast connection (or a hell of a lot of patience and time) and
most people don't have those yet. Luckily most programs don't allow you
to reencode mp3's to make them smaller(I am pretty sure anyway). It's
not copy protection but it will be a hassle for most people out there to
rip us off. We are just trying to motivate people to WANT to buy it
because they can't get it like this anyplace online. You can't STOP
people completely from doing it but there are ways to minimize it.

Anyone have any clever ideas to thwart ripping and sharing without
resorting to complex copy protection schemes?

George Gleason

Anyone have any clever ideas to thwart ripping and sharing without
resorting to complex copy protection schemes?

yes on you down loadable copy place a 10 second 400hz tone in the middle
or voice over some of it with
"sample--sample--sample" "not to be shared or distributed"

when I put together press packages for bands I tell them 45 seconds ea of 4
songs
no whole songs
not from a stealing pov more of a "who has time to listen to a 45 minute
demo" POV
George

---

Michael Tippach

"Andrew M." wrote:

Anyone have any clever ideas to thwart ripping and sharing without
resorting to complex copy protection schemes?

People generally dislike stealing from poeple they like. Well, most
do, anyway. Then there are people who like people but "steal" their
music, simply because they could not have afforded to buy the CD to
begin with. In the latter case, no harm is done. Quite the contrary,
it helps with publicity.

So let's focus on those people who _could_ have afforded buying the
CD. We've got a psycholigical problem here. I would assume that most
people falling into this category have a problem seeing art as made
by human beings who they have sort of a relationship with. Music has
become a product, a commodity. There are too many layers of
abstraction, commonly referred to as "The Music Industry" between
musicians and those wo enjoy listening to music. As far as I am
concerned, I would assume that within the independent/small label
scene the percentage of people buying CDs with stuff they could as
well have ripped/downloaded is significantly higher than in the
top 40 market. There still is a higher probability that people
tend to _identify_ themselfs with the artists, they tend to _like_
the artists and, as pointed out above, people in general dislike
stealing from people they like.

I would assume that a band that _communicates_ with their fans has
a far better chance of falling into the category of people people
dislike stealing from. Communication is a two way process, though.
Involves honesty, transparency and stuff like that to make people
believe they're buying CD's from human beings after all.

Best regards,

Michael Tippach
EggHd

People generally dislike stealing from poeple they like.

So they steal what they don't like? Sure.

In the latter case, no harm is done. Quite the contrary,
it helps with publicity.

How so?

I would assume that most
people falling into this category have a problem seeing art as made
by human beings who they have sort of a relationship with.

You assume? Nice.

Music has become a product, a commodity.

And when was this not so?

There are too many layers of
abstraction, commonly referred to as "The Music Industry" between
musicians and those wo enjoy listening to music.

So please tell who is this music industry? How do the people who steal the
music even know to steal it? You may notice that nobody is steal Mrs Chinook's
party favorites sing alongs. they are stealing the most well known tracks that
caught on with the public.
As far as I am concerned, I would assume that within the independent/small
label
scene the percentage of people buying CDs with stuff they could as
well have ripped/downloaded is significantly higher than in the
top 40 market.

You are assuming again?

There still is a higher probability that people
tend to _identify_ themselfs with the artists, they tend to _like_
the artists and, as pointed out above, people in general dislike
stealing from people they like

If you don't like an artist why would you want their music? What a load of
crap, by the way.

---------------------------------------
Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:

There still is a higher probability that people
tend to _identify_ themselfs with the artists, they tend to _like_
the artists and, as pointed out above, people in general dislike
stealing from people they like

If you don't like an artist why would you want their music? What a load of
crap, by the way.

A very large load. A thief is a thief. Makes no difference if you "like"
the victim.

Michael Tippach

EggHd wrote:

People generally dislike stealing from poeple they like.

So they steal what they don't like? Sure.

They wouldn't have bought it anyway. And if, then not because they
_need_ it or even _like_ it but because advertizing has made it clear
to them that they they are going to die if they don't have it.

In the latter case, no harm is done. Quite the contrary,
it helps with publicity.

How so?

They spread the word. As I said, they wouldn't have bought the CD
either way.

I would assume that most
people falling into this category have a problem seeing art as made
by human beings who they have sort of a relationship with.

You assume? Nice.

Incidentally my opinion is based on... well... ...opinion. If you
happen to have any hard evidence to the contrary you are welcome
to put it on the table and I will stand corrected.

Music has become a product, a commodity.

And when was this not so?

If you happen to believe human history began 100 years ago, you are
right.

There are too many layers of
abstraction, commonly referred to as "The Music Industry" between
musicians and those wo enjoy listening to music.

So please tell who is this music industry?

Thats the entity people believe they are "stealing" from. It's got no
personality associated with it. Is that so hard to grasp?

How do the people who steal the
music even know to steal it?

Doesn't compute. Please elaborate!

You may notice that nobody is steal Mrs Chinook's
party favorites sing alongs. they are stealing the most well known tracks that
caught on with the public.

.... top 40 stuff. Am I right or not?

As far as I am concerned, I would assume that within the independent/small
label
scene the percentage of people buying CDs with stuff they could as
well have ripped/downloaded is significantly higher than in the
top 40 market.

You are assuming again?

You have any hard evidence to the contrary, again?

There still is a higher probability that people
tend to _identify_ themselfs with the artists, they tend to _like_
the artists and, as pointed out above, people in general dislike
stealing from people they like

If you don't like an artist why would you want their music? What a load of
crap, by the way.

It's simple. It costs almost nothing so why not have it? This is typical
human behavior since the stone age, at least.

Thanks for the judgemental statement, by the way. I "assume" ...not...
I'm effing certain you do not understand the concept of communication
I mentioned in the posting you were so kind to take your time
responding to.

Best regards,

Michael Tippach
George Gleason

"Michael Tippach" wrote in message
EggHd wrote:

People generally dislike stealing from poeple they like.

So they steal what they don't like? Sure.

They wouldn't have bought it anyway. And if, then not because they
_need_ it or even _like_ it but because advertizing has made it clear
to them that they they are going to die if they don't have it.

In the latter case, no harm is done. Quite the contrary,
it helps with publicity.

How so?

They spread the word. As I said, they wouldn't have bought the CD
either way.

yeah they spread the word alright, that word is, that stealing is OK and
that here is where and how you can do it

advretizing is telling me I would"die" without a SUV but I can't afford one
and Iwould buy one so I guess it is ok to go steal one

I would assume that most
people falling into this category have a problem seeing art as made
by human beings who they have sort of a relationship with.

You assume? Nice.

I thought that way , I would steal from stores but not people , then I
turned 12 and finally understood STEALING IS WRONG

Stealing is wrong
I invite you to make your strongest argument why this is not so
George

---

EggHd

They wouldn't have bought it anyway. And if, then not because they
_need_ it or even _like_ it but because advertizing has made it clear
to them that they they are going to die if they don't have it.

Right. I am going to look on P2P for something I hate like the Backstreet Boys
because they are on a radio station that I don't listen to and in magazines I
don't read. Right.

They spread the word. As I said, they wouldn't have bought the CD
either way.

"Hey Bill, check this out. You can find all the tracks you want on Kazaa.
Here, let me show you how to do it."

Incidentally my opinion is based on... well... ...opinion.

You didn't say "in my opinion".... You said "I assume."

If you happen to believe human history began 100 years ago, you are
right.

When people stole sheet music becsue after all what was a piece of paper worth.
In fact, "I'll steal the piano too as it's just some old wood and metal.

Thats the entity people believe they are "stealing" from. It's got no
personality associated with it. Is that so hard to grasp?

You believe that people are thinking this deeply about it or it's right there
in front of them on their computer so why not take it?

How do the people who steal the
music even know to steal it?

Doesn't compute. Please elaborate!

If it isn't "famous" they don't even know to go look for it.

... top 40 stuff. Am I right or not?

There is plenty of Tom Waits being stolen as well.

You have any hard evidence to the contrary, again?

Meaning do I know if there has been 50K downloads of my nephews ****ty band and
the downloader bypassed 3 Doors Down to get that?

It's simple. It costs almost nothing so why not have it? This is typical
human behavior since the stone age, at least.

But people are stealing the "nice" stuff. The hit records. Those cost money
even to make the theif aware of the product. How would you know to go steal a
Gucci bag if it wasn't well marketed and made?

Thanks for the judgemental statement, by the way. I "assume" ...not...

Whatever

I'm effing certain you do not understand the concept of communication

A bit judgemental?

---------------------------------------
Michael Tippach

EggHd wrote:

People generally dislike stealing from poeple they like.

So they steal what they don't like? Sure.

They wouldn't have bought it anyway. And if, then not because they
_need_ it or even _like_ it but because advertizing has made it clear
to them that they they are going to die if they don't have it.

In the latter case, no harm is done. Quite the contrary,
it helps with publicity.

How so?

They spread the word. As I said, they wouldn't have bought the CD
either way.

yeah they spread the word alright, that word is, that stealing is OK and
that here is where and how you can do it

advretizing is telling me I would"die" without a SUV but I can't afford one
and Iwould buy one so I guess it is ok to go steal one

You are making a category error here. If someone who would under no
circumstances have bought the CD is "stealing" the music, no harm is
done. A SUV is a differnt matter. If I would just "clone" the SUV in
your driveway, you probably wouldn't give a rat's rear end.

I would assume that most
people falling into this category have a problem seeing art as made
by human beings who they have sort of a relationship with.

You assume? Nice.

I thought that way , I would steal from stores but not people , then I
turned 12 and finally understood STEALING IS WRONG

I'm not here to defend taking things without permission. The original
question was whether there are any intelligent ways other than even
more elaborate copy protection schemes to keep people from ripping/
downloading music instead of buying it. Moralizing isn't going to
help, IMHO, you have to face reality.

Stealing is wrong

Sh*t happens, you know?

I invite you to make your strongest argument why this is not so
George

Excellent straw man. I'm not here to defend "stealing". See above! I
was making a suggestion in response to a specific question that was
not particlurly soliciting a collective chanting of:

Stealing is WRONG
Stealing is WRONG
Stealing is WRONG

No, as far as _my_ reading comprehension, he was asking for opinions
WRT what can be done to prevent "stealing". Believe me or not, just
shouting "Stealing is wrong" does not answer that question!

Best regards,

Michael Tippach
EggHd

You are making a category error here. If someone who would under no
circumstances have bought the CD is "stealing" the music, no harm is
done.

That's not true.

A SUV is a differnt matter. If I would just "clone" the SUV in
your driveway, you probably wouldn't give a rat's rear end.

A weak rationalization for theft.

---------------------------------------

George

I hope to give lurkers and thieves a moments pause to reflect on the
crime they are about to commit, and that in my own way is helping stop
theft
to sit by in silence is equalivent to endorsing the act of stealing

George
Bob Cain

Michael Tippach wrote:

Incidentally my opinion is based on... well... ...opinion. If you
happen to have any hard evidence to the contrary you are welcome
to put it on the table and I will stand corrected.

He who states a thesis is traditionally burdened with its
proof. Until then it has no more standing than the
reputation of he who states it.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
reddred

"EggHd" wrote in message
American consumers will only pay for things they find value in.

And steal what they don't?
Who gives a **** if you want to buy the CDs or not.

Couldn't an attitude like that be a problem in and of itself?

The video game industry has just as much of a problem with 'pirating' as the
music industry, and they have been dealing with it for far longer. They
don't have problems with sales growth.

jb

It's taking them without buying them that is the problem.

It is up to
the record companies to make their products worth $16 more than a bunch of
MP3s downloaded from the internet.

Make it worth more so what.... People then don't download anymore? How

so?
"Giev me better songs and I will buy them?" Bull****.

As long as that value leans tilted
towards illegally obtained discs, downloaded music will thrive.

Value? of course free stolen good have "value". Someone paid to record

and
promite something you went to take for free. yes that has value to a

person
who just saved 10 bucks by stealing it.

---------------------------------------

EggHd

Who gives a **** if you want to buy the CDs or not.

Couldn't an attitude like that be a problem in and of itself?

Not in this case. If you don't like the music or an artist, don't buy it or go
out and tell everyone it stinks. But to steal it under the bull**** of "I
wouldn't have bought it anyway" is ****ed up.

Even if you choose to steal the music that is such a bull**** excuse.

The video game industry has just as much of a problem with 'pirating' as the
music industry, and they have been dealing with it for far longer. They
don't have problems with sales growth.

So what? And stocks go up and down. Whoopie.

---------------------------------------

reddred

"EggHd" wrote in message
People generally dislike stealing from poeple they like.

So they steal what they don't like? Sure.

In the latter case, no harm is done. Quite the contrary,
it helps with publicity.

How so?

I would assume that most
people falling into this category have a problem seeing art as made
by human beings who they have sort of a relationship with.

You assume? Nice.

Music has become a product, a commodity.

And when was this not so?

It depended on which side of the transaction you were on and/or how cynical
you were. Popular music got as big as it did because of 'Rock', and 'Rock'
got big because people invested ideas in it. They felt connected to it, they
made it a part of their lives.

As far as music being a commodity, it wasn't. It is starting to act like
one, now that it is largely electronically distributed (legally or
illegally).

You may notice that nobody is steal Mrs Chinook's
party favorites sing alongs. they are stealing the most well known tracks

that
caught on with the public.

How do you know that, Egg? Not those 'consultants' the RIAA hired to type in
the name of the top forty artists into Kazaa and see how many copies showed
up! That's what they call multimillion dollar market research - the RIAA
letting itself get ripped. Because nobody knows what is being downloaded, or
listened to, it is essentially unknowable. Period.

There still is a higher probability that people
tend to _identify_ themselfs with the artists, they tend to _like_
the artists and, as pointed out above, people in general dislike
stealing from people they like

If you don't like an artist why would you want their music? What a load

of
crap, by the way.

I think he means 'like and respect as people'. Sounds kind of Utopian, but
I've heard it again and again. I went to a party at a law students house,
who not only copied and downloaded music voraciously, she owned about 500
cd's. I asked why she bought those particular cd's and she said 'those are
the ones by people I like and respect'. The fact that she didn't really know
the people is irrelevant. She felt a connection. You can call the idea crap
if you want, but it has gained a lot of currency.

Speaking of currency, I wouldn't call anything 'crap' that generates sales.
But I forgot, you don't care if people buy cd's or not.

jb

EggHd

It depended on which side of the transaction you were on and/or how cynical
you were.

Don't understand.

Popular music got as big as it did because of 'Rock', and 'Rock'
got big because people invested ideas in it. They felt connected to it, they
made it a part of their lives.

Popular music was big when Rudy Valee was a crooner too. many gernations before
you. Don't believe that your generation or your personal view of pop music is
the only one.

As far as music being a commodity, it wasn't. It is starting to act like
one, now that it is largely electronically distributed (legally or
illegally).

Music was never a commodity? When was this? When ever mersy beat bands from
Liverpool and Blues bands from London were part of the British Invasion? When
they made the Monkees? frankie and Annette? Fabian? Rick nelson? Elvis?

How do you know that, Egg?

How do I know that it's the "famous" songs being downloaded in the most % of
downloads? Gee I don't know. You must know that there are titles being tracked
and not 40 riaa people looking a shared drives.

Because nobody knows what is being downloaded, or
listened to, it is essentially unknowable. Period.

the fact the noby gave a rats ass about the unsigned acts on MP3 or any of
those sites should let you see a glimpse of what going on.

Speaking of currency, I wouldn't call anything 'crap' that generates sales.
But I forgot, you don't care if people buy cd's or not.

That's not correct. I don't give rat's ass if that poster buys CDs or not. I
believe it a bull**** excsue to say I don't like this CD enough to buy it, but
I like it enough to take it.

---------------------------------------
reddred

"Michael Tippach" wrote in message

(Music Industry) Thats the entity people believe they are "stealing" from.

It's got no
personality associated with it. Is that so hard to grasp?

See, the problem is that, what little money artists have managed to wrangle
from those leeches is getting stolen also. So it goes. Best not to sign,
ever.

jb

EggHd

See, the problem is that, what little money artists have managed to wrangle
from those leeches is getting stolen also. So it goes. Best not to sign,
ever.

You don't know obivously.

---------------------------------------
Rob Adelman

Michael Tippach wrote:

They wouldn't have bought it anyway. And if, then not because they
_need_ it or even _like_ it but because advertizing has made it clear

Yawn...

reddred

"EggHd" wrote in message
It depended on which side of the transaction you were on and/or how

cynical
you were.

Don't understand.

Well, attitude. There were some in the industry that were idealistic about
thier products. But a whole lot of customers invested ideas in music.

Popular music got as big as it did because of 'Rock', and 'Rock'
got big because people invested ideas in it. They felt connected to it,

they
made it a part of their lives.

Popular music was big when Rudy Valee was a crooner too. many gernations

before
you. Don't believe that your generation or your personal view of pop

music is
the only one.

Just look at sales growth, year over year, for the overall industry and for
individual genres. The definition of a 'hit' in 1957 was far different than
in 1997.

As far as music being a commodity, it wasn't. It is starting to act

like
one, now that it is largely electronically distributed (legally or
illegally).

Music was never a commodity? When was this? When ever mersy beat bands

from
Liverpool and Blues bands from London were part of the British Invasion?

When
they made the Monkees? frankie and Annette? Fabian? Rick nelson? Elvis?

Sorry, wrong group... yeah, it's a commodity in that sense, the general
sense, and people have always made a profit off of it in one way or another
(though for the longest time, it was only the musicians making money off
music, they were poor then, too) what I was getting at is that music and
other products that are distributed digitally start to resemble things like
oil, grain, gold, etc., in the way they are bought and sold. We'll see.

How do you know that, Egg?

How do I know that it's the "famous" songs being downloaded in the most %

of
downloads? Gee I don't know. You must know that there are titles being

tracked
and not 40 riaa people looking a shared drives.

So which ones are they tracking? The ones they want to publicize as 'most
downloaded'? And there are plenty of the same files that they didn't put
there for the purpose of tracking them later. As I said, essentially
unknowable.

Because nobody knows what is being downloaded, or
listened to, it is essentially unknowable. Period.

the fact the noby gave a rats ass about the unsigned acts on MP3 or any of
those sites should let you see a glimpse of what going on.

Sure, but what about back catalogue and indies? Nobody knows.

Speaking of currency, I wouldn't call anything 'crap' that generates

sales.
But I forgot, you don't care if people buy cd's or not.

That's not correct. I don't give rat's ass if that poster buys CDs or

not. I
believe it a bull**** excsue to say I don't like this CD enough to buy it,

but
I like it enough to take it.

Fair enough, I see the logic there. But I find it telling that there was one
guy in this thread who actually is looking for a way to sell product, asked
for help, and everybody just kept yelling about morality, whether they are
in the business or not.

jb

reddred

"EggHd" wrote in message

The video game industry has just as much of a problem with 'pirating'

as the
music industry, and they have been dealing with it for far longer. They
don't have problems with sales growth.

So what? And stocks go up and down. Whoopie.

You did NOT miss my point. They have a product that people still buy, even
though they know they can get it free and can easily do so. So what is it
about games that they would rather buy than steal? Or steal first, and then
buy?

The other thing in there is that piracy, in and of itself, is not an excuse
for crappy sales. The product is not interesting enough to people, or
doesn't come in a package that they want to own.

To top it off, the music industry has a bigger PR problem than microsoft
does, further contributing to the decline in sales.

jb

Michael Tippach

Bob Cain wrote:

Michael Tippach wrote:

Incidentally my opinion is based on... well... ...opinion. If you
happen to have any hard evidence to the contrary you are welcome
to put it on the table and I will stand corrected.

He who states a thesis is traditionally burdened with its
proof. Until then it has no more standing than the
reputation of he who states it.

Someone quoting Einstein should know that one never can prove
anything beyond any doubt. A thesis has credibility if it is
falsifyable, which mine is.

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/distract/ig.htm

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

John

"Andrew M."

Luckily most programs don't allow you
to reencode mp3's to make them smaller(I am pretty sure anyway).

Save as .wav, no appreciable quality loss.. Re-encode the mp3. No big deal.

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com
Mike Rivers

In article .net writes:

American consumers will only pay for things they find value in.

Then how come there are so many CDs sold to people who only like a
couple of cuts? I guess they're just to stoopid to download the parts
they like.

Consumers buy what the manufacturers give them. That's why nobody uses
DOS any more. It's why people who never used anything but a throw-away
camera are buying digital cameras so fast the manufacturers have to
come out with new models every few months. (why are they buying
digital cameras? to take pictures that they can e-mail to people who
they would never bother sending prints to, or to sell their old
consumer junk on eBay)

It is up to
the record companies to make their products worth $16 more than a bunch of
MP3s downloaded from the internet.

When there are so many records available (free or not) how can any of
them really be worth $16? Maybe if there were 90% fewer records
available we might see the value in those remaining.

I personally
have no problem downloading tracks to check out stuff I haven't heard.

Suppose they came up with a system that prevented you from downloading
them. Would you listen to them on line in real time, or would you
bitch that your rights were being violated?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Andrew M.

John wrote:

"Andrew M."

Luckily most programs don't allow you

to reencode mp3's to make them smaller(I am pretty sure anyway).

Save as .wav, no appreciable quality loss.. Re-encode the mp3. No big deal.

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

My point being that MOST people don't know how or ever care to kow how
to do that. It will slow most people down. The more you slow them down
the quicker you get to making back your money before it's available for
free.

George

In article ,
Michael Tippach wrote:

EggHd wrote:

They wouldn't have bought it anyway. And if, then not because they
_need_ it or even _like_ it but because advertizing has made it clear
to them that they they are going to die if they don't have it.

Right. I am going to look on P2P for something I hate like the Backstreet
Boys
because they are on a radio station that I don't listen to and in magazines
don't read. Right.

If I hate the Backstreet Boys's music frankly I do not listen to
it. Most people do not hate it (except when force fed), they just
don't like it. We are talking of groups like teenagers here with like
10000 songs on their hard drives each. That's like 1000 CDs at $16 each
- by the logic of the RIAA. Since P2P isn't around for too long you can
do the math, taking into account the average per capita income (not just
in the United States) and then tell me how many percent of the
population
could have afforded 16k worth of CDs in a rather short time span

and how does the fact they could not afford it justify stealing it?.

maybe you should be a lawyer or a politician.

If a president can say a blow job isn't sex then perhaps you could make
a case that taking something that you do not own, nor have permission
to take is not stealing

you still have not resolved the core issue , the fact you are stealing
this music
you dance around it and try to rationalize it away
but the fact remains
copying copyrighted material with out expressed permission of the
copyright owner is against the law
it doesn't matter if it is downloaded or you copy a book on a copy
machine
it is stealing
do you support plagerism as well?
grow the frick up , you are old enough and civilized enough to know I am
speaking the truth

Michael Tippach

EggHd wrote:

You are making a category error here. If someone who would under no
circumstances have bought the CD is "stealing" the music, no harm is
done.

That's not true.

How so?

A SUV is a differnt matter. If I would just "clone" the SUV in
your driveway, you probably wouldn't give a rat's rear end.

A weak rationalization for theft.

Quite the contrary. A violation of copyright law is a violation of
copyright law. Theft is theft and not the same thing as a violation
of copyright law. Both share the property of an unlawful act. But
they differ in at least as far as the amount of actual damage done.

If A takes $16 out of B's pocket, the monetary damage to B is $16,
while A now is unlawful possession of $16.

OTOH, If A, who is in possession of $0, downloads the contents of
a CD of B (assuming that this is an unlawful act under the
juristdiction of A and B), what is the actual monetary damage to
B? It is the amount A would otherwise have been prepared to give
B in exchange for the CD. Which is exactly zero since A only is
in possession of $0. Still, A is listening to a copy of B's music
obtained by unlawful means. A's quality of life has improved while
B's was not damaged at all.

Admittedly this is a bit oversimplified but it might serve to point
out what I originally thought would be obvious anyway.

IMHO it would be more reasonable to use the model of an accumulated
budget society would be spending on music if the only means of
access to music would be buying it.

Once this budget is spent, you cannot sell any more music because
simply the budget has been depleted. This creates a situation where
not everyone has access to the music sold, but no more money can be
made from it. At that point you can have everyone have access to
the music without losing anything but adding value to people's lives.

The problem with this approach is that neither current legislation
nor the concept of market place economy are prepared to handle
this kind of scenario. Well, except maybe for the U.S. constitution
which stipulates furtherment of art and science for the benfit of
society as a whole. Profit motivation is seen as a means of
achieving that goal, an incentive for people to make music, write
software... stuff like that. But still it is assumed to be a
secondary measure of achieving the primary goal of benefitting
human society. If profit motivation gets in the way of achieving
the primary goal OTHO, it could be argued that, as far as the, U.S.
it would even be unconstitutional. So much about moralizing.

The current model neither serves people who enjoy music nor does
it serve musicians, producers... etc. It alienates artists from
their audience and the other way around. It even serves to
alienate artists from the very art they create by turning it into a
commodity. (That the concept of alienation is from Marx does not
automatically make it wrong just because it is from Marx. He might
even have recycled it from someone else's ideas who knows)

The only entity that would not benefit if the current model is
being changed is the music industry, unless they re-prioritize
their business towards adding value to music instead of acting
as a barrier between artists and their audience like mere toll
collectors. I have very little hope here.

Best regards,

Michael Tippach

Michael Tippach

George wrote:

In article ,
Michael Tippach wrote:

EggHd wrote:

[...]

They do not 'steal'. They violate the artist's rights under the
current copyright law in several countries. How often do I need to
point out the difference?

maybe you should be a lawyer or a politician.

What do the court lottery and politics have in common with logic?
What about adressing the message, instead of the messenger?

If a president can say a blow job isn't sex then perhaps you could make
a case that taking something that you do not own, nor have permission
to take is not stealing

Unlawfully copying music isn't taking something. It is getting
_access_ to something in an unlawful way. Music is not 'things'.
It is language as yours that creates a mindset to the contrary i.e.
music seen as a commodity. It is exactly this mindset which makes
it easy for people to not feel bad about what they are doing when
ripping music, which brings us back to my first contribution to this
thread.

you still have not resolved the core issue , the fact you are stealing
this music
you dance around it and try to rationalize it away

Now stuff is getting really interesting. What in the world supports
your assertion that _I_ would be 'stealing' or even unlawfully
getting access to music? Have I stated anything in this regard?

So why the ad hominem? Attacking the messenger is not exactly the
same as addressing the message, leave alone resolving any sort of
a 'core issue'. Plus, since moralizing appears to so popular in
this place, I shall rephrase:

LIBEL is both UNLAWFUL and WRONG.

but the fact remains
copying copyrighted material with out expressed permission of the
copyright owner is against the law

Not everywhere. Fair use clauses vary from juristdiction to
juristdiction.

it doesn't matter if it is downloaded or you copy a book on a copy
machine it is stealing

No. It is a violation of copyright law if, and only if it violates
applicable copyright law. (Remember Fair Use!)

do you support plagerism as well?

....as well as what?

grow the frick up , you are old enough and civilized enough to know I am
speaking the truth

While I agree with you as far as I think that I'm "old enough and
civilized enough", I do not necessarily agree with other statements
of yours. What's 'the truth' anyway? Quite a claim to be made by a
faillable human being, methinks.
George Gleason

Upon careful and thoughtful review of your response
I find your post full of self-serving bull**** and avoidence
address the FACT that theft is takeing place, how do you justify stealing?
Taking what is not yours is STEALING
copying copyrighted material without expressed permission of the copyright
holder is theft
This is the collective "you" I have no idea if you personally are stealing
but if you are I condem it
if you are not I commend you
Peace
george

---

Rob Adelman

Trond Ruud wrote:

Probably, but that's mostly because CDs are losing out to .mp3s as music
medium, I suspect
If, instead, the price of paid .mp3 downloads dropped from $1 to 50 cents, I
believe it would make a difference however - provided the supply of mp3s
titles for paid download are increased to meet the demand.

Same thing, if they can get the file for free vs: 5 cents, they will
take the free one.

And there are plenty of costs associated with the mp3 distribution. 50
cents is not enough to pay everyone involved and leave ANTHING for the
artist. In fact even at 1 dollar there is not really enough. So, who
should be working for free in the process?

Michael Tippach

Mike Rivers wrote:

In article writes:

They wouldn't have bought it anyway.

The classic argument for stealing something that doesn't cost anything
to make - But you're not helping the artist either, so why not just
get out out of his business? Do you **** whores without paying because
you wouldn't pay for it anyway, and besides, they can always sell it
to someone else?

I hate repeating myself, but theft of goods and services is not the
same as violating copyright laws. I shall repeat myself once mo
If it _were_ the same there would be no need for copyright laws in the
first place, because common property righs law would suffice.

If you cool down a bit and re-read my article you may discover that
at no point I did say that it was o.k. that things are the way they
are. I was rather _describing_ things the way I think they are.

He who describes stuff cannot be held responsible for stuff.
He only can be held responsible for his _description_. Got that?

They spread the word. As I said, they wouldn't have bought the CD
either way.

Depends on the word that they spread. If the word is "this is a cool
band and you can get their music by downloading from ****** (wink,
wink, nudge, nudge) how does that help?

The RIAA is currently doing an excellent job in making sure everyone
on the planet learns about the existence of P2P, if they didn't know
already.

Now if you had great
credibility as a critic, and were respected as a trusted businessman,
you could tell people that YOU think the music is good enough to buy,
and that if they buy it from YOU (so you'll know that they're paying
for it) you'll send 85% of the money to the artist, taking a modest
15% commission for your trouble. Just like an independent distributor.
Now THAT would be helping the artist. But just downloading for free
and spreading the word doesn't help anyone.

Now that would be what I call adding value to music. Unfortunately,
this does not describe the current state of affairs as far as the
music industry in a particularly accurate fashion.

Best regards,

Michael Tippach
Trish

"George Gleason" wrote in message

I thought that way , I would steal from stores but not people , then I
turned 12 and finally understood STEALING IS WRONG

Stealing is wrong
I invite you to make your strongest argument why this is not so
George

I take it you have never recorded anything from TV onto your VCR.
Unfortunately that doesn't hold true for most of us. So I have lots of
movies on tape. But for the ones I really like I do go out and buy the
DVD.

Of course there is also the problem of taping my CDs onto cassette
mixes. Technically I should go out and buy that artist's individually
sold cassette. And wait for K-Tel to come out with a prefabricated mix
maybe 10 years from now. We can't be sticklers in one area. We must
re-examine all our illegal activities.

I'm debating whether TIVO is a ripoff of the networks. I think it must
be. They provide free television in exchange for running commercials.
We zap the commercials. The networks lose money, and all because we've
found a technological way around the system. (Of course the old
fashioned way is hitting the bathroom or the refrigerator during
commercials)

It used to be that musicians made money touring and performing. Then
technology came along -- you could record albums! And charge people
for them! Cool. Then 8-tracks and cassettes came along. People wanted
the new technology. They got charged again for the same music! Then
came the CD. Charged again! Then came the MP3. Whoops. Now the
consumer is getting for free what they were charged 2-3 times for
already. Double whoops.

What's a musician to do? Tour.

Trish